Replacements for front hatches on 4788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacements for front hatches on 4788

I'm looking to replace the two front hatches on my 1999 4788 due to some damage. Has anyone done this and have a recommendation of a direct replacement unit? Thanks.
    Graeme
    1999 Bayliner 4788, twin Cummins 330's
    Confirmed Aquaholic
    Newmarket, Ontario

Hi Graeme
    I replaced ours some years ago with "LEWMAR" hatches...Also installed their rolling screen/solid cover.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

• gwexco
      gwexco commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, do you have a model number?

• brad4550
      brad4550 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I don't remember the model number, I just picked the closest one to fit the hatch cutout. It was a " low profile ".

I replaced the bomar front hatch with a Lewmar size 60 hatch if you have the ~20" inside measurement.
    Sean
    1987 3870
    Crimson Pride II
    Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
    MMSI: 338080226

Comment

for what it is worth, if is the Lexan that is crack, you can take to most plastic shops and make you replacements and just use black sealant (silicone, 4200) and your back in business....alot cheaper and less work over removing and installing entirely new hatch.
      Mark
      USCG OUPV
      1990 4588
      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Graeme, I've repaired one of my hatches with a replacement lens. If you have frame or other damage that won't work, but if it's just the lexan insert give Acrylic Custom Design in Barrie a call. The cut a new lens duplicating the original cracked one. Did a fantastic job and less than $100.00

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

I replaced the plastic lense as well. I took it to TAP Plastics. They cut a new lense while I waited. All in was less than a $100. They also coached me on getting a good seal. I bought the sealant they recommended and had in stock. I thought it was silicone but can’t remember. They also recommended lightly sanding and heat treating the plexiglass where the strut glues on. Wiped with rubbing alcohol and glued on with epoxy. It’s a great time to rebed the hatch as well. Used white 4200 there.
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

My boat was involved in a fire, luckily only the front pulpit / lights / anchor / rub-rail / gelcoat were affected. We noticed all four pneumatic cylinders on the hatches came detached from the plastic lens, I'm assuming because fire was hot and they sprayed cold water all over the front deck to stop the fire from spreading from the boat in front. Lens appears fine but I don't think I want to take the risk of glue letting go again in such a critical area.
            I was thinking the Lewmar size 60 or Bomar #995 hatch was about right but was hoping someone had done this already.
            I'll get the insurance to just replace them along with all the other stuff.
            Thanks.
            Graeme
            1999 Bayliner 4788, twin Cummins 330's
            Confirmed Aquaholic
            Newmarket, Ontario

Comment

Working...
            X