Trying to add Vacuum gauge to Racor filter housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to add Vacuum gauge to Racor filter housing

I am trying to add Vacuum gauges to the OEM Racor filter housings on my 2001 Bayliner 4788

There is a great place to do this right at the top of the housing. I thought it looked like it might be a 1/8 NPT but I was wrong. When I pulled the plug out it has straight threads.
    It looks to be a 3/8 SAE with a fine thread. I know it's finer thread than the 3/8" bolt I compared it to but how much finer I do not know.

Has anybody adapted a vacuum gauge to these housings? I have Racor gauges with the resettable pointer and they are 1/4" NPT

Here are some photos

Click image for larger version  Name:	836429AA-7863-49E5-BCE0-22B0FFE150F8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	619496
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D7481D12-39BD-4BC0-BCEE-EAEF9665870A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	619497
    Click image for larger version  Name:	97380D04-655D-488C-BCFC-F6CA1120DAD4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	619495

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Kevin, you’ll need an extension to get the gauge up high enough to screw but in. It was a while back when I fitted mine, and I can’t remember the specific thread types. But I recall getting the thread specs for the plug hole off the Racor website. Then I looked on the web for an extension piece with the appropriate gauge thread. Alternatively, if you take the gauge to a hydraulic hose shop and see what extensions or solutions they can come up with. Have fun!

Cheers

PS. I seem to remember Parker selling an extension. Try them!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9C8EA5E5-CA0B-4734-960E-D8C1F2864C60.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	617.7 KB ID:	619542
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

I am sure they will work whichever way you choose to intstall them but we elected to put them on flex fuel line next to the filter for 2 reasons:
      1. the vibration from the filter head would be a bit dampened by this install
      2. when servicing the filter there would be no way to 'stress or snap' the ridgedly attached gauge

When installing vaccum gages we also install a 'snubber' just prior to the gauge as well as fill the gauge with glycerine to dampen the fuel line pulses on thegauge mechanism.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	619548 Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	619549
      Northport NY

Comment

I made my own adapter fittings on a lathe. Unfortunately I don't have access to the drawing I made right now, nor will I for another 3 weeks or so. I do remember finding adapters online after a long search, but I didn't bookmark the supplier. Sorry I'm not much help. If you're not in a hurry I can post the drawing later.
        MV Dreams - 1999 3988
        330 Cummins
        Wrangell, AK

Comment

Kevin, I looked at doing the exact same thing over the winter. I could not find the right adapter fitting anywhere for the nice RACOR needle gauge. I have to admit, I eventually gave up.

Then I found I had a little vacuum gauge in my spares bin that threaded directly in. Not as good.
          1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
          Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Comment

its called a "boss" fitting... very common. normally its a NPS thread, with an o-ring seal... some manufactures and imported stuff have their own version of it, but the racor products are pretty standard....

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I found the correct fittings by taking that plug to the hardware store along with one of the gauges. Got one installed and then found limited space above the other so back to the hardware store for an elbow and extension.
              Tony Bacon,
              Washougal, WA
              Caspian, MMSI 338355743
              1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

+1 Bacon. I got the fittings at the hardware store.

Comment

Found the correct connector 3/8" ORB X 1/4" FPT at Grainger for $4.11 each with delivery in a week or so.

Thanks for all the help! This will be a easy useful mod.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Kevin - that fitting is great info. The PO on my boat cut into the fuel line and installed a T to a gauge. That gauge needle just bounced around while underway and was impossible to read. I subsequently replaced the gauge with a ball valve and a transducer which feeds the vacuum level data to my NMEA network. I’d love to use the fitting that you found but then I’d have to run a new piece of fuel line from the Racor to the engine in order to get rid of the T. That may be more work than I’d like.

Name:	3AFFBFD8-4D7C-4991-84D6-5DCB1D408DF0.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	619912
                    Evan
                    2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
                    League City, TX

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or just a double barbed fitting to replace the T or a plug in the T if possible 🧐

• abredeson
                      abredeson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is that a Maretron sensor? I was hoping to add a Maretron vacuum sensor to the top of the Racor where Kevin is talking about.

• egbauman
                      egbauman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, that is a Maretron transducer. It connects to a channel on a Maretron FPM100 unit.

Curious for those that have vacuum gauges - Do you use the gauge to tell you when to change the Racors? What threshold do you use to tell you its time to replace the filter?
                    Pat
                    Paragon
                    1999 4788

Comment

• smitty477
                      smitty477 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We replaced filters with readings at about 9 - unless we were planning a longer trip which would lead us to replace them earlier.
                      The Hino's in our boats had the max rpm affected at about 14.
                      30 mics in the prefilters ...10 if you want to push the prefilter media rating.

I got them on my 38 and run 2 micron filter in rancor 500 it does not take long for them to get to 3 inches and after they get to 6 or so I change them as it is so dirt cheep to change
                    i went to rancor 500 for the simple change of filters and cheep price of elements after about 3 sets of spin on pay for them they say your engine will quit at 10 inches but I have been nowhere near that
                    cheers
                    Roy
                    Ketchikan Alaska
                    1988 3818
                    EH 700
                    Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Kevin, do you have the Grainger p/n?
                      1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
                      Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Comment

Originally posted by Cptmorgan View Post
                        Kevin, do you have the Grainger p/n?
                        What I got was WRONG!

What i ordered and received is p/n 4VRY3 which is 3/8" ORB male to 1/4" NTP Female.

This will not work.

The problem is that I did not research what ORB sizes mean.

The actual thread size on the RACOR 4120 filter heads we have is 3/8X24 This is a standard 3/8" fine thread that you can find in any store.

BUT... 3/8 ORB is actually a 9/16X18 thread

So... if you want a ORB fitting with a 3/8X24 thread that is a 3/16" ORB fitting.

What we need for this then a 3/16 ORB Male to 1/4 NPT Female

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

OK, going back top the original photo because it's time to make some decisions here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3F3CB3B-1850-436A-AE0A-02A3E542B1BB.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	620385

I have been unable to find any of the correct ORB fittings for the top of this filter head. The thread size is 3/16 ORB and it does not exist anywhere that I can find

That leaves me with the next solution which is to use the 2nd fuel outlet fitting on the filter head to connect the Vacuum gage to. The fitting I just bought is a 1/2 ORB male (which uses a 3/4X16 thread) to 1/2 NPT female 90. Into that I'll put a 1/2X1/4 NPT bushing and into that will be the Vacuum gage.

Name:	585E354E-5372-4286-9859-1F14761E1C75.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	620388

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                          X