Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5788 Looking to buy, what to look for

Hola...

So we are looking at doing the Great Loop, and to my surprise the 5788 can fit under the Chicago bridges with only small adjustments to the arch components.

That being said, I am looking for buying one on the east coast, as I really don't feel like paying $50K to send one over there, plus they are significantly cheaper on the other coast.

We will be starting the journey in early 2023, but I need to start the process of researching the boats and trying to find out what I am going to be looking at regarding issues with these boats. Main things I want to know are as follows

1. What is the reliability of the MAN engines like. I know that MANs are incredibly well built semi trucks and they tend to be on the same level as Mercedes regarding engine quality but I have ZERO knowledge of them in marine environments.

2. Are all MAN and Cummins options mechanically controlled or are there any models with ECU options available?

3. Are there any specific issues I should be looking at with the fiberglass? Windows? Hatches? Any engineering weak-spots that might be present?

4. What are the major maintenance issues that tend to be overlooked by previous owners?

Thank you all for your help.

SnG Crew
    Ships n Giggles
    1993 Bayliner 4388
    MMSI# 367412710
    Day Island Yacht Club
    Commodore

Are you OK with the 5' draft?
    Northport NY

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
      Shipsngiggles commented
      Editing a comment
      Not too many options with smaller draft in that size... I need at least a 50ft to fit my kids, wife, dog, and bearded dragon... for a year. So I am not really sure I can be picky on the draft. I might have to worry about watching the tides and staying in the channel instead of blindly going wherever I feel like going.

It's an option. I really like the boat so buying it there and then driving it back through the Panama Canal would be fun too... considering that they sell for nearly twice as much over here, it might be cost effective too.

The vessels have no latent defects or issues that effect the smaller boats. The MAN diesels are excellent engines, but when buying one you want evidence that the required 1000 hour (and later)service was carried out in FULL. I mean actually call the MAN dealer who did the service, and actually speak to the mechanic that did it. I’ve learned that although a owner has paperwork, that doesn’t mean it was fully completed. Mechanic might tell you “but the owner said to skip this and that to save money”. The service is expensive. Parts are readily available. Looking at East Coast boats you also want bonafide evidence that the boat wasn’t damaged in a hurricane. Don’t buy into “it wasn’t even near the coast, it was up in Tennessee”. Make the owner show you photos of her “up there”. If it has new engines and machinery due to water damage, that’s a benefit. If you visit Meridianpilothouse.com, there’s tons on information on the vessels.
    Oh yeah, make sure you can find dockage for her.
    Good luck, have fun.

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
      Shipsngiggles commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, she's a beast... we have 3 boats that will be going with us... a 43 American Tug, and two boats that are yet to be determined. I have young kids so we need to make sure that we are comfortable during the year that we will be on the boat. We have a 4388 right now and that would be WAY too cozy for us... even the 4788 would be tight for us.

I can't answer your specific question, but assume you are aware of scheduled lock closures in 2023 on the Illinois River. While others may disagree, I would not want to be doing the Loop with these restrictions (similar to the past 2020 closures)

https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missi...gation-Status/
    Ron O'Blenis
    B 38 175 Hinos 1989
    Completed Great Loop
    https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
      Shipsngiggles commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I was looking at that... once we get closer to the departure we will see what the dates are... Summer would be usually New York and the lakes, so if they are done with the locks by September or so, we should be fine... but it all depends on what they are doing and for how long.

• RDOIII
      RDOIII commented
      Editing a comment
      Believe the closures will be similar to this past fall with the closures extending until the end of October. I would not want to be on the lake until then and it would be cold for too long heading south. i would also recommend a side trip to Chattanooga - and this would be eliminated with the closures account of time. I would suggest moving the year up or out one to avoid the issue.

Additional comment is I would not want to be traveling the Loop with five foot draft and unprotected props. And remember that the boat will sit noticeably lower in the water in the fresh water. It can be done, but be sure to have extra props and even a spare shaft

In respect of Q2, ECU’s with Cummins engines, it depends on the engine model type. The QSM’s in the later years (Meridian 580) are quite “smart” with their electronic info screens. The raw water side maintenance however is key as over time growth can block aftercooler/heat exchanger tubes affecting engine temps and performance. The AC/HE bundle is expensive and time consuming to service. Provided the air side aftercooler fins are clean/clear (no blow by issues etc), the raw water side can been treated/growth dissolved via an insitu recirculation (after removal of raw water impellor) of a descaling solution (not Baracle Buster). If anyone wants more info on this process, (actually adopted by the local Aust Cummins service org), let me know.

Just an aside, while I haven’t done the loop myself (on the bucket list), I’m told that the max bridge clearance height is 19ft (along the Erie Canal to the Oswego Canal into Lake Ontario), 17’ (via the "triangle loop" into Lake Champlain and through the St. Lawrence Seaway into Lake Ontario) and 15’ via Erie Canal to its western terminus into Lake Erie. I’m not sure of the exact air height of the 5788/580.

A draft of 5ft min would have you touching bottom and waiting for tides in some areas as well.

I’m jealous - have fun.

Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
      Shipsngiggles commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been trying to stay out of the Meridina 580 because of the price. I can find '99 through 2001 5788s for under $300K on the east coast... Meridian 580s are in the $700K range. I'd much rather buy a 5788 and put a $100K into it if that is the case... especially because after the loop, I'd be able to bring it back here and either use it or sell it.

I know that there have been people that completed the loop with the 5288s and those are not that much different than the 5788s... I believe that there is a hinge kit for the arch that would allow me to pass through the St. Lawrence Seaway at 17 feet. Either way, we'll see how it goes. I am doing exploration right now. looking for options but I have no idea what I will land on. I might end up shipping my 4388 over to the east coast for $25K and just using it... who knows.

"I can find '99 through 2001 5788s for under $300K on the east coast... "
    I will post a picture of our boat next to the 5788 you might be looking at now, it was sold a couple of years ago and went further south since.....

"Meridian 580s are in the $700K range. I'd much rather buy a 5788 and put a $100K into it if that is the case... especially because after the loop, I'd be able to bring it back here and either use it or sell it."
    There are reasons some boats are listed lower than others.

"I know that there have been people that completed the loop with the 5288s and those are not that much different than the 5788s..."
    They really are if you see them in person and move around onboard, perhaps compare the hard numbers of the 52 to the 47 as a start...
    Also note - the 5288 is about 20" taller than the 5788 for air clearance.

"I believe that there is a hinge kit for the arch that would allow me to pass through the St. Lawrence Seaway at 17 feet."
    Yes - we have seen that setup, seems to work out well.

Things to look at in a 5788...
    - check engine serial #'s with Mann, make sure piston issues were addressed
    - check for 1,000 hrs service issues
    - overall maintenance of all engines
    - overpropped condition/smoke
    - forward porthole leaks
    - rub rail leaks
    - dual cutlass bearing condition/alignment
    - davit operation
    - exuast condition on genset

Pictures as posted above....

Click image for larger version  Name:	2013-04-28 13.01.15_zpssn0pwar8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	617434

Click image for larger version  Name:	2013-04-28 13.02.07_zpsdmb8xtwv.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.0 KB ID:	617435
    Northport NY

Comment

SnG, you might want to check on the Meridian Yacht Owners Club website. Lots of loopers there including missdarlin459 (Bruce) who has done the loop with his 580. If you search his posts and contact him I expect he can give you good advice.
      Mike
      "Allante I" Rayburn 75
      Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Working...
      X