Head w salt water flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head w salt water flush

Marina Neighbors have a BL 37 w a salt water flush head. They’ve replaced the holding tank & hoses but continue to have odor problem. I explained that salt water flush and any water in bowl creates a sulphuric smell. I have suggested
    a fresh water final flush and bowl.
    The bowl and base seal have not been replaced. Gave them some Norflex. Any thoughts.

1) Change it over to fresh water. As long as they use salt water, they will have a battle.
    2) Use the Noflex Digestor and the Biotal Marine head cleaner. The Digestor will break down the solids and the Biotal will breakdown the affluent that forms on top of the liquid and rarely gets pumped out. See link below
    3) Ensure that they have good air flow coming into the tank, more oxygen less smell
    4) Flush the tank out at least twice a year if not more. That will get some of that bacteria and critters from the salt water that are creating the smell out. We have a weekly pump out service, but at least once a year we go over to the pump out and after emptying the tank, will fill it with tap water to almost full and then pump it out. We will do this until we get clear water coming out of the tank. We can see this because the first part of the pump out system is clear. It can take 3 or more times to get everything out.

https://marinesan.com/noflex-biotal-combo-special/
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Fresh water. Period. End of stinky story. There is zero likelihood of cross contamination with the potable water supply. We have Domatec Masterflush fresh water electrics and really like them. I’d say love them but how does one “love” a toilet?
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        When the brown goes down it’s a good toilet😆

If you use Aqua Kem, the blue stuff, you will have zero smell using a salt water flush.

Available at Walmart for about 10 bucks a bottle.

We've been using this method since 1992.

Comment

We struggled with this as well and started using the Raritan Headchem KO about a year ago now, and lately the only time we have an odor is if it's been a couple of months since the pump out. We do only pump out when the tank is full or we're heading out for a long weekend. One thing we especially like with this method is that it really only needs the treatment the first time and keeps the tank contents smell down.

Definitely agree on the rinse out, we do this EVERY time we pump out ourselves. Takes a bit longer, but it's worth it!

Dave
        1998 3988 - Command Bridge
        1998 4085 Avanti - Destroyed by fire
        1985 SeaSwirl Bow Rider
        1977 Catalina 30

Comment

This is what I have been using for the last 4 years mount it as high above the tank as possible, close to the vent. Installed it and forget it never another smell. Keep an eye on your tank level because if you let it overflow you will get the carbon wet and it will need to be replaced. Amazon.com : Voker Holding Tank Vent Filter New Installation Kit (5/8") : Sports & Outdoors
          Island Girl 2000 3988
          Great Loop 2018
          Sarasota,Florida
          There are worse places to be than on your boat.

Comment

We have had good success with Noflex. We have fresh water flush Vaccuflush toilets. However it is not an instant fix! First the tank needs to be emptied and flushed out with clean water several times until things come out pretty clear. You want to eliminate other holding tank chemical residue as much as possible. Then put a little bit of Noflex in the holding tank. Once a day while using, add a bit of Noflex to the toilet. Read the instructions on how much. My wife and I living aboard get about a month out a bottle with a 50 gal holding tank pumping out about once a week. Also while pumping out, I spray some water into the vent fitting to make sure it is clear. The result is the Noflex reacting with the waste in the entire waste plumbing system continually. Use Biotol only when cleaning your toilets. We keep a spray bottle by each toilet and give a quick spray of the bowl every day or two. As part of our winter shutdown, I really flush the tank out multiple times and hit it with some Noflex flushed thru the system. My wife can smell a fly fart from 100 yards and she is mostly satisfied with results.
            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
            MV Kia Orana
            Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Originally posted by noah2858 View Post
              This is what I have been using for the last 4 years mount it as high above the tank as possible, close to the vent. Installed it and forget it never another smell. Keep an eye on your tank level because if you let it overflow you will get the carbon wet and it will need to be replaced. Amazon.com : Voker Holding Tank Vent Filter New Installation Kit (5/8") : Sports & Outdoors
              We had 'the smell' from our replacement Marine Elegance heads, even after cleaning the tank replacing hoses and switching to fresh water. What cured our problem was making a carbon filter rather like that in this posting. I got the instructions online and was easy to make using commercial plastic pipe fittings, and filling with carbon granules from a fish tank supply company. This completely cured the problem and the filter fit nicely near the vent in the corner of the cocktail cabinet aft of the ice maker in a 1994 4788. It worked a dream.
              Alan Teed
              MOONSHADOW
              1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
              Gig Harbor, WA
              Previously:
              1994 Bayliner 4788
              2006 Hylas 49' SY
              Bayliner 2855
              1977 Cal 34' SY
              1981 Hunter 33' SY

Comment

Working...