3288 stern platform support strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 stern platform support strut

The bolts through the transom at the bottom end bracket of our port side strut have broken. On the inside, the bolts are not accessible as they are under the shelf, which runs all the way back to the transom.

Has anyone had to fix this in the past? Short of cutting an access in the shelf, the only idea we have come up with is the fabricate a larger size plate, with 6 or 8 screws into the transom, and either weld or bolt the bottom bracket to the plate.

All help more than welcome.

Thanks.
    A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
    Blustery Day
    Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
    Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
    Purchased 23 February 2017

My 1994 3288 swim grid was not through bolted. It was screwed. The weight if the dinghy bouncing loosened the screw on one strut. I rebedded the screw with 5200 and it set firm.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Bob View Post
      My 1994 3288 swim grid was not through bolted. It was screwed. The weight if the dinghy bouncing loosened the screw on one strut. I rebedded the screw with 5200 and it set firm.
      Thanks for that. You are likely correct in that case. The centre support is bolted through the transom, but the starboard and port ones could be screws. In our case the screws have either pulled out completely or broken. I will check if there is anything left in the holes.
      A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
      Blustery Day
      Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

hopefully Uncle_Bob is correct..... I would dig as much of the soft wood out that i could reach, hopefully no more than an inch or two from around the bolt hole, and fill it with thickened epoxy.....

then, depending on how solid the transom is in the surrounding area, either redrill for a lag bolt, or opt for the plate with a strut attachment tab welded to it.... but i would NOT simply install a plate over the hole and then drill the plate for a bolt, as this would only be making a possible entry point for further water intrusion.... a tab welded to the plate will be at least as strong, and keep the damaged hole sealed up.

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
          hopefully Uncle_Bob is correct..... I would dig as much of the soft wood out that i could reach, hopefully no more than an inch or two from around the bolt hole, and fill it with thickened epoxy.....

then, depending on how solid the transom is in the surrounding area, either redrill for a lag bolt, or opt for the plate with a strut attachment tab welded to it.... but i would NOT simply install a plate over the hole and then drill the plate for a bolt, as this would only be making a possible entry point for further water intrusion.... a tab welded to the plate will be at least as strong, and keep the damaged hole sealed up.
          Absolutely. "IF" the screws have fallen out, then I will cut a larger diameter hole where each was and epoxy fill, to deal with any water ingress that has happened since the failure. It may then be possible to drill and set new screws into the epoxy areas. If I go with a plate, I agree with welding the attachment bracket and using more screws into new, clean areas wide of the original holes which I will epoxy fill whatever.

Thanks.
          Blustery Day
          Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

Working...
          X