3218 - Fresh Water Pump Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3218 - Fresh Water Pump Issues

I had a bad Fresh Water Pump and ended up cutting the floor and installing the Hatch to the Cave to gain access to the Pump

The problem that I had with the pump was it was continuously running and in-order to get it to turn off I pulled the wire off at the back side of the Fuse from the access panel in the Head

When I installed the new pump and got it rewired and the hoses hooked back up, the Pump will not come on

I replaced the water switches and the Galley and the lower berth

Any Ideas as to what the problem could be

There is water in the Fresh Water Tank

Could there be a sensor in the Fresh Water Tank

Thank You in Advance

Doug

if it was running continually it has an eletrical issue. check and clean the switch blades for corrosion and make sure fuse terminals are hitting the old glass fuses. Put a meter on the switch and make sure its working correctly flip on and you should have continuity off you will not. Normally when a pump dies it dont turn on and not continually run.

Comment

Just an idea.....

If your original water pump always stayed on, and you also replaced your water pump switches, it's possible either the kitchen or aft stateroom water pump switch was toggled in the 'on' position, hence the running all the time. Those lights on the switches burn out, but the switch still functions as intended. I would put those back in If I were you! The original water pump switches use a 10 amp fuse. Many of the replacements use a 20.
      "Fog 1"
      1989 Bayliner 3288
      Twin 305s
      Kenmore, WA

Comment

On my 3218 the on off switch just supplies power to the pump. The pump has its own internal pressure switch which shuts the pump down when water pressure reaches the internal pressure switch set pressure. If a pump runs constantly the water tank is either empty, a faucet is open, you have a leak or most likely a bad internal pressure switch. If you installed a new pump but wont work you have a blown fuse, wired up wrong or maybe just a good ole crack with a screwdriver to wake up the internal pressure switch.

If I remember right the pump I replaced had a bad impeller which made the pump run constantly because it couldn't pressurize the internal pressure switch.
        Dan
        Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
        Claudia V. III
        1988 - 3218
        Gas Drives

Comment

When the pump ran continuously on my boat, I found debris in the check valves.

BTW, the pressure switch Floatyerboat referred to is similar to a microwave door switch, I used to get replacements at radioshack.

Dan, ever run into Rocky or Bullwinkle, since they were from Frostbite Falls?

Comment

Bullwinkle and Rocky are alive and well but show their age. Boris and Natasha say hi.
            Dan
            Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
            Claudia V. III
            1988 - 3218
            Gas Drives

Comment

Working...
            X