Sliding Doors & Windows Flocking Weather-stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding Doors & Windows Flocking Weather-stripping

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the "furry" weather-stripping on our 4788 sliding doors and windows? I have spent this winter installing a diesel heater (will gladly share pics of the ...VERY extensive install...). The Pilothouse doors and windows continue to be a constant source of cold air infiltration - we need to insulate them better against air ingress. Would be most appreciative of any advice from experienced DIY's to aid in planning next phase(s)!
    Cheers
    Leo
    M/Y Nitecap 1996 4788 Twin Cummins 315's
    12.5 KW Westerbeke Genny, Lewmar 185TT Bowthruster
    Leo & Joan Quigley
    Conception Bay South
    Newfoundland
    Canada

The window fuzzies are available from perfectfit.com in Kent, WA. I’m not familiar with the door fuzzies, sorr.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

When we rebuilt our doors in the pilothouse, I went to a local commercial window shop and talked to them. There are many options out there, depends on the door configuration, the amount of gap, and the consistency of that gap. The ladder is the killer. It is difficult to find a good seal concept with inconsistent gaps to fill.

I would take some pictures of your door, where you think the seal might go, the gap you have to deal with, etc. Take good measurements with the door open and closed. This was the killer with the 4588 wood rear salon framing. The gaps change from top to bottom and as the door moves from closed to open.

I know of one person that had them come out and worked on all of the door and window seals on the boat, including the windshield seals. It was great afterwards, but the cost was very high.
      Patrick and Patti
      4588 Pilothouse 1991
      12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
      M/V "Paloma"
      MMSI # 338142921

Comment

For my 4087, I used Stan Pro 75000638 (AS1528) or Austin Hardware 800 821 3520 to replace the window run channels. The P/N for your boat may be different, but at least you can look at the crossections they have an determine which ones.

Comment

You look here for all types of gap seals for the PH doors: https://www.swisco.com/cl/Weatherstripping

Window flocking can be found here: http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=20816
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Thank you very much for the info, guys! Very useful and greatly appreciated!

Cheers
            Leo
            M/Y Nitecap 1996 4788 Twin Cummins 315's
            12.5 KW Westerbeke Genny, Lewmar 185TT Bowthruster
            Leo & Joan Quigley
            Conception Bay South
            Newfoundland
            Canada

Comment

Working...
            X