No announcement yet.

My little fire damage 3870 project has turned into a W06Ti conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's getting closer! The manicooler went on the port engine this week, slowly getting there! I'll wrap up the fuel system and raw water this weekend and then the second engine goes in on Tuesday. Maybe a boat ride is in my future soon!

Comment

We did sea trials last week, and I'm very pleased with the performance of the new engines. Top speed was 28.5 with some current to help me along, and it cruises very comfortably at 22 knots. The engine room insulation makes a huge difference for noise in the cabin and even at full speed can carry a conversation without yelling. Earl did an exceptional job on the engines and it all went off without a hitch (or even a single leak).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	626829 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5341.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	4.80 MB
ID:	626830 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5338.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	5.10 MB
ID:	626831 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5374.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	626828

Comment

Awesome!
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• Pcpete
          Pcpete commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely! He passed me like I was anchored. Except I was doing 15kn.

Love it! Excellent work!

There is part of me...the masochistic wrench head side of me...that's wants to convert to the lil' 210 hp Hino's if I could find a pair cheap enough.
        . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

• Torski
          Torski commented
          Editing a comment
          Do It! But in all honesty it's an expensive endeavor after all the parts and pieces are restored. I also bought new gear boxes so I didn't have to mess with the prop.

That is a very fast 38! Wow! Congrats. Really loved following the job here. Thanks for sharing!!!
        Tony Bacon,
        Washougal, WA
        Caspian, MMSI 338355743
        1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

The kids and I are spending this whole week in the San Juans, and I really appreciate the 15-20 minute island hops at my cruising speed of 24 knots average. Engines aren't really working hard at 2500 rpm and I am really appreciating that I chose the 1.5:1 gears in the transmission vs 2:1. This meant I didn't need to change props, which in the end saved me $$$.

Today we are at Sucia, and tomorrow we will head to the west end of the islands to do some whale watching. Estimated travel time from Sucia to Everett Marina is under 3 hours!

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome job on this project. Cool to see your results and your enjoying your time in the San Juan’s👍🏼

Almost a year in and we are still enjoying this boat and it's power. My only complaint at this point is the port fuel tank keeps filling with water. I recently pulled the fuel filler hose from the deck fitting and attached a rubber glove to the fitting to see if it'll put water in the glove. I can't imagine where else it would be coming from, any ideas out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Torski View Post
            Almost a year in and we are still enjoying this boat and it's power. My only complaint at this point is the port fuel tank keeps filling with water. I recently pulled the fuel filler hose from the deck fitting and attached a rubber glove to the fitting to see if it'll put water in the glove. I can't imagine where else it would be coming from, any ideas out there?
            Just some thoughts:
            Where is the fuel tank vent fitting located on the hull? Is it possible some spray is being directed at that area during cruising speed? The vent line has an upwards loop?
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX" '93 2556
            Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
            The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            My Misc. Projects
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Just some thoughts:
              Where is the fuel tank vent fitting located on your boat? Is it possible some spray from the hull is being directed at that area? The vent line has an upwards loop?
              The vent fitting is on the side of the hull, facing down. The hose attached then is looped up another 12" from the fitting before it goes down to the tank to prevent water intrusion.

Comment

• builderdude
                builderdude commented
                Editing a comment
                Hopefully the glove will show some water🤔

I checked on the glove today and the thumb had water in it. The filler definitely isn't sealing even with a new O-ring and tight cap. When I looked closer at it today, I noticed that the cap appears to sit proud from the deck plate. I never looked that close at it, but I think it's time to just replace it.

Comment

Torski,

Glad to hear everything is going well with the repower. Regarding the water in the fuel tank, if you watch the path of the water from the flybridge on our 38 it runs aft then down the rear panel and right over the fuel filler cap. I had an incident where the cap wasn't tightened fully and a few days later during a rain storm I got 1/2 a gallon in my port tank. If you can find a way to divert the flow around the filler it would reduce the likely hood of water getting past the o-ring. Is it possible the replacement o-ring is the wrong size? Hard to see what could go wrong with the cap.

James
                1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                Lowrance Electronics!
                Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                AGLCA #8340
                MTOA# 7469

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
                  Torski,

Glad to hear everything is going well with the repower. Regarding the water in the fuel tank, if you watch the path of the water from the flybridge on our 38 it runs aft then down the rear panel and right over the fuel filler cap. I had an incident where the cap wasn't tightened fully and a few days later during a rain storm I got 1/2 a gallon in my port tank. If you can find a way to divert the flow around the filler it would reduce the likely hood of water getting past the o-ring. Is it possible the replacement o-ring is the wrong size? Hard to see what could go wrong with the cap.

James
                  The cap gets tight before the o-ring engages. I installed a thicker o-ring last year but still found water in my tank (although less). The threads on the cap feel fine, couldn't really get a good read on the threads on the deck lid. I get that the water runs right over it, kind of a poor design for it, but regardless it shouldn't go past the o-ring. In my case I think the threads on the deck plate are galled, and it's probably easier to replace the whole thing rather than keep messing with o-rings. The STBD tank is clean as a whistle, so for the price of a filler neck it's good piece of mind.

Comment

Good call, the threads could be the issue, someone at the fuel dock cross threaded or stripped them somehow. Definitely should thread all the way flush. It's amazing how much water can get past those caps if they don't seal properly. Let us know where you sourced a complete filler neck and cap, the original one Bayliner installed seems really stout!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Diesel.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	740.0 KB
ID:	645848
                    James
                    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                    Lowrance Electronics!
                    Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                    Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                    AGLCA #8340