Water tank leaking,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water tank leaking,

Just discovered my aluminum potable water tank leaking, it looks like impossible to remove it any idea? is there a sealant we could use.
    1989 3818 "MARECHIARO"
    Upper Chesapeake Bay

I’m sorry to say that once the tank started leaking, there’s no viable repair. The tank comes out after meeting with a sawzall, and the replacement options are most commonly a two plastic tank assembly that can be done side by side or one in front of the other. There are a few examples in the completed project forum, but many of them have lost the picture links in the change of providers for the club. I have a few I can provide, but they don’t tell as complete a story as I would like.
    Basically you are going to remove the galley stairs, guest stateroom door and bulkhead next to the stairs, cut the galley level passageway deck and remove that level, then cut the under deck along the edge of the main head up to the master stateroom threshold. That will let you get at the tank to cut it out. There are some plumbing lines that cross above the tank that you will be working around.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	68C486D3-4FF7-4E81-B033-3D9F79ED8014.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	609351 Click image for larger version

Name:	654415C2-41DA-4FB4-AEFE-789E31EAFD9C.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	609352 Click image for larger version

Name:	4B5924D3-08CC-4AED-B6D1-5DD5BA5BB10E.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	609353 Click image for larger version

Name:	7AFFE17E-C4CF-4A4C-A6FD-4E28D610401D.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	609354 Click image for larger version

Name:	4A3C1E63-31BB-430B-A68C-420CB76151AB.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	609355 Click image for larger version

Name:	970A6EA9-764E-453D-8088-9654570A3A5F.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	609356 Some notes from my research as I was addressing “pebbles” in my tank. I was able to open it up and clean it, then seal it with a food grade epoxy, but it wasn’t leakingthere

I am in the process of replacing my tank. I am using a 47 gal. tank that fits under hall way. No need to remove wall or floor.in port berth.Tank I am using is .61'L x18"W x10"H =47gal . 25gal tank that will fit next to it is 60"L x11"W x9"H sold by www.plasticwatertanks.com . 47gal WH-2047 -$313.99 25gal WH-2025-2 -$225.00. Good Luck Greg.

Water tank project
    Source for replacing existing tank with two plastic tanks
    Plastic-mart.com
    3/8" polyethylene
    B-380 42gal. 40x27x10 $350
    B-160 30gal. $280
    Factory installed fittings
    2" npt to join tanks
    1/2" npt for water to pump and vents
    1 1/2" npt fill fittings
    Source for replacing existing tank with two plastic tanks
    Plastic-mart.com

P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Where is the leak/? is it a crack or a pin hole? It is possible to repair a pin hole if it is a one off and the whole skin is not corroded. If it is a crack or under the tank you have to remove and replace.

Comment

Pcpete THANKS FOR THE REPLY. THOSE PHOTOS ARE THEY FOR A 3888? MY TANK APPEARS TO BE LOCATED UNDER THE FLOOR OF THE GUEST ROOM' WILL I BE ABLE TO REMOVE THE OLD ALUMINUM TANK FROM THAT FLOOR OPENING? THANK YOU
        1989 3818 "MARECHIARO"
        Upper Chesapeake Bay

Comment

When you guys say your water tank is leaking, first of all, how do you know?

I have a 1986 38 and so far, I don't think the tank is leaking. Even if it was, there's a bilge pump right there. Top it up at the slip and live with it. I also carry two 20 litre water jugs with me for anchoring out in the old days before the Covid Crap.

The leak would have to be real bad before I would rip the crap out of my boat. I just don't think it's worth it in these aging and on their way out boats and I own a nice one.

My motto....LET THE NEXT GUY WORRY ABOUT IT!!

I remember my old British dad. All British cars leaked oil. He never ever did an oil change. He just kept adding oil weekly. The cars ran forever. We just had a pan under the engine that we would wash out every few months. Fresh oil weekly. When you think a out it, not a bad idea.

Now it's:

Change the oil yearly.
          Change the impellers every 6 months.
          Change the coolant yearly.
          Pull the bundle.
          Ceramic coat half the engine.

I don't do any of that.

I service the ice maker every 10 years, pour a Jack, put on a movie and enjoy PLEASURE BOATING!

RELAX DUDES!!

Comment

Yes, those pictures are of a 38xx. The ones of the tank being repaired in place are from my 1988 3818.
            I understand where Johnny is coming from and it’s a good point. I learned to drive in a 1957 Triumph TR3. It’s a matter of degrees. If the water is pouring out as fast as you are filling, well, that’s an easy decision. If the leak is slow, yeah, you can live with it or try to repair it. From what I’ve seen the primary cause of the tank leaking had to do with the tank mounting and the corrosion working from the outside in. In my case, the tank had a significant amount of aluminum chloride pebbles and sand from the chlorine in city water reacting with the aluminum tank. The pebbles and sand were clogging the prefilter and system connections, so something had to be done. There was some etching, but nothing very deep, allowing for a successful repair.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Just wondering, could you have not bladder it like I do with all my off site wine I do??

Comment

Working...
              X