3888 Detour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888 Detour

Hi all, The search for a decent 3888 seems to be problematic in the PNW. Lots of time worn boats around. Anything good seems to be above market, and even those are not that great. I have a buddy that has a 41' Cheer Man Tiawanese Trawler that I may work a deal on. The workmanship in these boats is pretty stunning. The furnishings are top notch. The downside is the beautiful exterior Teak and Teak decks. Yet to be surveyed, but the equipment is pretty up to date. Even has a washer dryer. The other slight drawback is only 1 stateroom. But the hidabed salon couch is very nice. I love the 3888. Like the Cheer Man. We will see how this pan's out!
    Attached Files

I thought this one looked great....https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...yacht-3691834/
    1987 3270 135-Hino
    Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

• T Doriot
      T Doriot commented
      Editing a comment
      I've talked with Amy about the one. Canvas is shot. 10-15 k. The owner isn't too hip about that kinda price reduction. Somebody had a deal on it at 63 I believe, but antifreeze in the oil. After pulling thecmanicoolers, the mechanic figured it came from a turbo replacement. Who knows.

T, I always remind people when shopping for a boat.....What's your mission with it? If you never plan to have anyone else sleep over one cabin works. If your plan is to invite couples, kids, grandkids routinely and often one cabin is not realistic IMO. Adults would be far more comfortable in their own cabin vs a hide a bed.
    Thats a good looking boat with some nice features. However, I personally would not want the upkeep of that much exterior teak.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

You nailed it on both counts. I just visited the boat. The exterior teak needs some love. If there was a way to get it done, it could be great. I bet that would cost half what I could get the boat for. Frankly. My time is too valuable to spend a month of decent weather scraping and refinishing. I might get an estimate. The single cabin has been a hangup the entire time. I'm not super hot on sleep overs, so I could probably live with that. Probably the biggest issue is that teak. This moment I gotta say I'm not sold on it either.

Comment

• rbcooper
        rbcooper commented
        Editing a comment
        T Doriot,

Please take this for what it is just a comment. Understand that ALL boats are a compromise from what is expected and what is delivered. I really love the trawler style boats and to that end really appreciate the associated details that are available on sites like trawler forum. However understand that teak decks that need or may need work are extremely expensive. I would select a boat without these if possible. The advantage in selecting a Bayliner would be you have a large group of fellow boaters with a similar boat. Please don't discount that advantage.

I own a 44' ocean alexander built to a very high standard and I still have outstanding issues that are difficult to remedy without significant owner participation. The boat you've shown looks to be in excellent condition but it's in a covered slip. These vintage of boats are known for water leakage issues both in the deck and into the cabin. Please be certain to establish before purchase that there are no water intrusion issues.

Regards,

RB Cooper

I fell in love with some CHB trawlers interior wood work. But I was told to stay away from Tiawanese, that the workmanship was not that great and many older ones would have issues. I don't recall the specifics. Eventually I cottoned on to the idea of twin screws and the bayliner won me over.
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian, MMSI 338355743
      1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

• T Doriot
        T Doriot commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya. This one has twin Perkins 6's I wouldn't even consider a single. If this wasn't a buddy's boat, it wouldn't be on the radar. He's list that lovin feeling, bought 3 places in Florida, so don't be around much. However, the wrong boat at any price isn't a bargain.

I have a guy in Everett I’m going to call to start on my canvas. He’s more flexible than others I’ve talked with. A lot of it depends on the willingness to use the current bows, and what sheet goods are chosen. Add a windshield wiper setup with a hard plastic opening bridge center windshield and it gets to bigger bucks. There’s also a person in Mt. Vernon who’s work is getting attention on the PNW Boaters group on Facebook. PM me and I can give you the information. If the boat in Anacortes works otherwise, maybe there’s a path.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• T Doriot
        T Doriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Be interested in what you find out!

That whole Teak issue is the bitch. I'm not putting 40 grand in a re-deck on a 60k boat. I'm blessed/cursed with a thriving construction business that my time is well spent at. I can't afford to put 200 hours into dinking with Teak. I sent pics out for an estimate to a local boat yard. If the decks survey, I'd pay a decent amount to refinish the teak assuming the price reflected the cost. For me boating is something I want to do, but not a burning passion I don't want to blow endless (any more than the normal bottomless pit) money on. 60k is about my limit. So, we will see how this plays out. This is not boating season. Quite the contrary, the winter is coming. Always watching for that elusive 3888. 😂

Comment

• kwb
        kwb commented
        Editing a comment
        The decks may check out because it is in and has been in a covered slip for a long time. If you are putting it out into the weather it may not be long before the inside is a water stained mess and more work to do on teak.

T, I’m not sure you’ll ever find the perfect 38 mostly due to their age. That Anacortes boat looks nice and canvas can be easily replaced. The coolant in the oil may not be a deal breaker. Once identified the owner should repair or otherwise determine the cause. If a small amount of coolant was introduced into the oil due to turbo maintenance and is no longer leaking it should be a simple matter to change the oil, put some hours on the engine and resample the oil.
      I might not be so quick to toss the towel in on that boat unless it’s been determined the block is cracked, which should be relatively easy to determine. YMMV
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Thanks Jim. Always worth checking. Amy has been the flakiest sales person ever. Either that or she loves me. Tries pretty hard to persuade me the boats are not great! I may owe her a debt of gratitude!

Comment

T, that’s the craziest thing I’ve heard! Do you think she’s purposely steering you from that 38 because she has inside info of its issues?
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Could be. She has a pretty large inventory of stuff that is what I am looking for, just nothing really nice. Not sure why a sales person is saving me from myself, but I guess I should be great full!🤣

Comment

You could also try to get Earl Summerville over to look at the engines. He’s the expert on Hino engines and may still be in Stanwood if he is keeping to his normal schedule. [email protected]
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
              X