Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water tastes horrible, any water filter system recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water tastes horrible, any water filter system recommendations?

Water tastes horrible here in S. Ca. Tried the charcoal water filters like Britta and even those wouldn’t work. Would like to find a water filter system but don’t want to loose our water pressure. Was thinking something that goes inline with intake hose on the dock. But then of course you are filtering the shower and toilet water so not sure on best way to go?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Those big blue whole house filters are only a few hundred bucks and are designed to filter all water going to a house. They last several months in a house before needing to change cartridges, so should last forever on a boat. I put one in my Florida vacation home a couple years ago and haven’t changed the cartridges yet since it only gets used 6-8 weeks per year. It would be very easy to put a hose bib inlet and outlet so you could hook it up.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Stage-Who...EAAOSwB8ZfgSAU
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I was thinking I had to leave it on the dock but that looks like it could get installed under sink and then only use it for that one outlet which would save filters. Interesting!

Comment

These Carbon type 5 micron filters will only remove mostly particles taste/odor so it is important to sanitize the system every spring. https://www.amazon.com/Aquaboon-6-PA...5642260&sr=8-2

That being said, any filter housing that takes standard 2' x 10" cartridges will do. A single one is more than enough however I went with 2 in series just because I felt like it. Housings were only $25 a pop on Amazon. This brand is very convenient as they have a built in on/off/bypass valve right on the top. Works well when winterizing.

Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

• brad4550
            brad4550 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hans. Do you have a Rodent problem? Looks like a snap and stickie trap next to filters.

• MidnightSun
            MidnightSun commented
            Editing a comment
            I did have a couple of mice on board several years back. Kept the traps and glue pads in place just in case.

I've been using these in my boats and RVs for years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-400...-Use/698477933
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I use a filter on the hose as I’m filling the tank, then have a household type filter on the system directly after the pump an accumulator. However, I have a tee between the accumulator and filter for the toilets. No need to filter toilet water
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

I have these installed for drinking water at two houses and I'm putting one on the boat . Very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Doulton-W9330...%2C546&sr=8-20

Comment

We use a pur faucet mount filter on Mr. Darcy. It filters out chlorine, lead, and about 70 other contaminates. The filter housing is about $30 with one cartridge and the cartridges are around $10 each. There is a light that shows filter cartridge condition. Green, amber, and red. The filter cartridge last us about three months being on the boat two or more days a week.

Greg
                Newport, Oregon
                South Beach Marina
                1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

I have an RV in-line filter off the dock tap which leads into a water softener system. This keeps the calcium and crap from clogging the water pressure inlet. A 5 micron filter is in-line on the interior down in the engine room. Then the water for drinking is poured into a Zero 2 gal dispenser. That water is used for ice and cooking.

I had to replace two 3 year old Kumma water heaters due to leaks related to crap in the dock hard water. Oh yeah, drink Sparkling water, vodka and or beer not tap water.
                  1990 4588
                  Port Hueneme, Ca.

Comment

Hi Knuckledragger
                    Along with what ever water filter (I use the large rv/blue filter). That being said a number of "BOC" members use Vodka a fifth per tank,of course a small tank just add OJ to that glass of water
                    Brad & Sharon
                    Lady Jake
                    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr._Darcy View Post
                      We use a pur faucet mount filter on Mr. Darcy. It filters out chlorine, lead, and about 70 other contaminates. The filter housing is about $30 with one cartridge and the cartridges are around $10 each. There is a light that shows filter cartridge condition. Green, amber, and red. The filter cartridge last us about three months being on the boat two or more days a week.

Greg
                      Tried using that but our water is soooo bad here that even that still left a bad taste. Not like our home in Oregon where the water is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmason View Post
                        I have an RV in-line filter off the dock tap which leads into a water softener system. This keeps the calcium and crap from clogging the water pressure inlet. A 5 micron filter is in-line on the interior down in the engine room. Then the water for drinking is poured into a Zero 2 gal dispenser. That water is used for ice and cooking.

I had to replace two 3 year old Kumma water heaters due to leaks related to crap in the dock hard water. Oh yeah, drink Sparkling water, vodka and or beer not tap water.
                        1990 4588
                        Port Hueneme, Ca.
                        Haven’t considered a water softener system. Will take a look at that option.

Comment

We use the blue rv water filter to filter water on the way into the tanks. Always add pure fresh water treatment in the recommended dosage. Also have a very good water filter to the cold water at the galley faucet. One marina we were in had very bad water coming from the spigot that basically tasted like water from a garden hose that has sat in the hose for a season. Our filters and treatment were not match for that water. But water from anywhere else around here comes out of the galley spigot tasting as fresh and clean as bottled water.
                          Tony Bacon,
                          Washougal, WA
                          Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                          1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Working...
                          X