4588 - Cockpit floor in the hull replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 - Cockpit floor in the hull replacement

As part of the 2020 weatherization I found that the starboard side floor in the hull was soft. Some poking at it with a screwdriver came up with rotted wood and some more digging resulted in this (2x8 for scale)

Hole in the port floor

So it looks like I'm replacing the floor on that side. Current plan is to cut it all away and replace it with marine grade plywood. (I wasn't impressed that the under side of the plywood was not painted. On the other hand, it is a 1993.

I'm thinking about installing two 9" round hatches so I can look into the space and see if there is water collecting. One for each zone in the hull.

The starboard side, while not soft, has some small cracks in the gelcoat. So I'm thinking about replacing that at the same time.

Anything else I should be doing / thinking about / looking for when I'm doing this?
    Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Hi Foster
    Might also check storage locker above it. Water can come in through the vent,and from water spigot in that locker(if it hasn't been relocated). Also when using plywood I would recommend sealing it with a thin coat of resin (thin with acetone) then paint using Interlux Bilgekote.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

• Woodsea
      Woodsea commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree with coating the marine plywood with thinned epoxy. Especially coat the end grain of the edges! I suggest studying West Systems info. They have some good tutorials. Also a product called Total Boat that has some good videos as well. There’s also a fellow named Andy that does a whole series of boat repair videos. BoatworksToday.com

You might think of using starboard vs plywood less prep work, and future water will never be an issue. Ours have held up fine, but we did install to 8-10" deck plates and put u/w lights there years ago, so I agree nice having eash access for inspection and cleaning out the weep holes in the stringer from both sides.

Also the shower on our 4588 was cause of some water getting down in this area, so now we drain the handheld shower after each use by laying on deck and lift up hte hose, and that solved that issue.
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

That would be the stiffening wood used on each rear shelf at the stern - item 26 on the 4588 wood schedule attached.
      Attached Files
      Northport NY

Comment

• Destiny_4588
        Destiny_4588 commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe that item 26 is what he is replacing, notice the muffler in the picture.

• Woodsea
        Woodsea commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s pretty cool that you have the wood schedule Ron! A friend of mine has a photo album of his 4788 being built at different stages. Very cool to see how these boats were built.

• smitty477
        smitty477 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - somewhere around here we have the marketing video of a 47 hull being produced by Bayliner as well as a number of stills on building these boats.
        And a few other productions notes, schedules, and blueprints we traded with Ken Naff who used to be the lead client service person for the larger boats at Bayliner.
        In the past we lent all o fthis stuff out to be copied and put in the BOC files but I believe that was all lost in one or another past version of the BOC.
        We used to have various brochures from many different years posted there as well....

Dumb question: Would pulling this wood out diminish the structural integrity of the hull? Isn’t this the hull core?
      Brad
      Lake Union, Seattle
      1987 Bayliner 4550 "Ark Angel"
      Hino EH700T / MG-502 / Cummins Onan 7kw
      Seattle Yacht Club

Comment

• Destiny_4588
        Destiny_4588 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well first is has no integrity due to the dry riot, 2nd it is shelf so replacing will add back what was lost. Yes the hulls is cored but this is a shelf that sits on top of the stringers.

Mark - Starboard is a good idea, thanks. Would you still fiberglass it in place? When you say you put UW lights in, I assumed you put in stern lights. Did I miss understand that there are lights in those little compartments?

Smitty - Yes, tems 26 and 28 are the parts that I would be replacing, that's a pretty cool PDF, thanks for posting it!
      Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

I have down lights in that spot on each side with access covers in the shelf...also stern ones like the down lights for night diving helps us find our boat and attaches cool stuff under boat vs at stern

i do not think you can glass over starboard but not an expert there...I was thinking g screws
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
        X