3288 Wire Harness Locations & Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 Wire Harness Locations & Access

Hi, new to me 1990 3288. Port Engine will not start when I turn the key at either helm station. No power to the starter. Not the neutral switch.I can start it easily by putting jumping 12V from the battery to the start relay. I have checked the voltage on the yellow/red wire that energizes the start relay and I get 12V but it must be very low current because it won't energize the relay. I've tried swapping the ignition switches. So, I believe that there is a bad connection somewhere between the ignition switch and the start relay. My question is does anyone have a diagram of where the wiring harness go from the ignition switch to the engine compartment? Also, how do I access it? I know that at some point the wires from each helm station combine into a single wire to the engine compartment and that's where I'd like to start investigating!

There is a big plug at the lower aft of the engine that connects the boat wiring harness to the engine wiring harness. Find some of the on engines wires and trace it down and back and you will find the plug. Check the black ground wire for good connection. Also there is a “safety start switch” on the back left side of the motor. Those have a tendency to go bad. You can start the engine by jumping across those terminals when it will not start by the key. Sorry, dont have a picture.
    Jim
    Former 1897 3270 owner.
    1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

• Mad Manc
      Mad Manc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I will start tracing it from the engine.

• Mad Manc
      Mad Manc commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I found the problem. After a week of troubleshooting and trying to isolate the fault, I "jump started" the engine and noticed that none of the gauges were working while it was running. I stared at the wiring diagram for a while and then remembered a comment I'd seen elsewhere on the forum - that you have to press the 40A breaker on the engine "really hard". I'd pushed it early on but this time I pushed it "really hard" and "click"! Everything works normally now! It did give me the opportunity to learn the new boat so if and when things go wrong on a cruise, I'll be in better shape to fix them. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Have you checked your slave solenoid? Sorry if it was implied.
    Glen Sherwood
    1987 3270 twin 305’s
    Coupeville, WA

Comment

• Mad Manc
      Mad Manc commented
      Editing a comment
      I've checked both the start relay and the starter solenoid. I've shorted out the neutral safety switch on gear lever. The problem appears to be somewhere between the start relay and the "ignition" switch (key).

Originally posted by Wild_Blue_Yonder View Post
    There is a big plug at the lower aft of the engine that connects the boat wiring harness to the engine wiring harness. Find some of the on engines wires and trace it down and back and you will find the plug. Check the black ground wire for good connection. Also there is a “safety start switch” on the back left side of the motor. Those have a tendency to go bad. You can start the engine by jumping across those terminals when it will not start by the key. Sorry, dont have a picture.
    Jim
    Former 1897 3270 owner.

The 1897 3270 came with two engine options: horse or steam. Steam has the higher resale value, especially in the Pacific Northwest!
    "Fog 1"
    1989 Bayliner 3288
    Twin 305s
    Kenmore, WA

Comment

Standard was sail or oars? Either one took a big crew.

Jim
      Former 1988 3270 owner
      1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Working...
      X