4788 Transom Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Transom Lift

Curious if anyone has installed a transom lift For a dinghy on a 4788? Can it be done?

I have seen a 4588 with one out at Catalina from time to time...these boat tend to be stern heavy so adding 1000lbs that far back may act like big lever and make your bow ride even higher ...just a thought
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• islandhopper
      islandhopper commented
      Editing a comment
      I was afraid that might be the case. I was hoping someone may have done this but that may be why we don’t see any.

This 4788 was previously owned by friends, and has a Roskelly style davit mounted on the transom/swim platform. As mentioned in a previous post, this setup is quite heavy, particularly as the davit is built with stainless steel. This particular boat has under hulls installed which adds to the buoyancy, minimizing the stern heaviness and maintaining the waterline.

Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

I have a hydraulic Seawise davit system on the swimstep of my 3888 that holds a 10’ Achilles with a 20hp 4 stroke. The Seawise system raises and lowers the dink with the flip of a switch and tilts the engine simultaneously! It’s the easiest system available. It is well constructed and engineered. It’s also probably the most expensive. However, the advantages are worth the cost IMO. First, it’s effortless to raise and lower the dink so we use it at the drop of a hat. I know so many boaters that don’t Harbor Cruise their dink because it’s to much trouble to launch and retrieve. Secondly, the dink is available when the mother ship is in a slip unlike the “normal” dink position on a 45/47/49. Note: I have no connection to Seawise except that I have and use one. They are very popular in the PNW.

https://seawisemarine.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2xSR-tz8nE
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Both look like potential options, thanks.

Rob, what are the under hull? You mentioned. I am not familiar with them but sounds like the may be necessary.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Underhull1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	602554 Click image for larger version

Name:	underhull2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	602555
          Rob, what are the under hull? You mentioned. I am not familiar with them but sounds like the may be necessary.
          4788's have a soft chine hull design, in other words the transition between the bottom of the hull and the hull sides is rounded towards the stern of the boat. This design is to provide a softer riding boat, but the downside is a tendency that the boat rolls from side to side, particularly in beam seas. Under hulls are fiberglass parts mounted over the rounded parts of the hull to square it off, thereby converting it to a hard chine hull. This certainly adds roll stability, and usually adds flotation to the stern of the boat.

Rob
          Bayliner 5788
          'Merlin V'
          Vancouver BC

Comment

• purduepilot
            purduepilot commented
            Editing a comment
            Any drawbacks to doing something like that, other than cost and upkeep?

That’s interesting, thanks. Any idea where to find them?

Comment

North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes WA still offer under hulls. They have probably installed more of these than anyone else, but I think that they also sell under hull kits that can be shipped almost anywhere.

Lots of 4588/4788/490 owners have these installed, and they supply under hull for several other Bayliner models. The only occasion I have heard about where the installation did not achieve the desired result was on a 40 ft Silverton sedan bridge boat.
            Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

• Knothome4788
              Knothome4788 commented
              Editing a comment
              Isn’t there also an “option” to extend the hull which effectively replaces the swim step? I seem to remember some Appropriately modified local boats for sale over the past couple years (PacNW).

• islandhopper
              islandhopper commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Rob, I just sent them a message.

North Harbor also offer hull extensions. We know a few owners that have done this, and they certainly make a nice job of it.
            Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

Working...
            X