Survey Day,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey Day,

Tomorrow is the big day. The surveyor is doing the in water survey. He knows the failure points on the 38’s. The deal breaker for me is rotten stringers or transom. He’s going to look for water intrusion issues first in the hull. If that passes, onto decks, then systems and mechanical. I recognize it isn’t a new boat. 30 years isn’t a spring chicken. I expect repairs and outdated equipment. I have a pre determined pain point in mind. The boat has been 100% boathouse kept for the last 5 years, so I doubt there is any deck issues. Wish me luck! If all goes well, haul out next week! One step closer to being one of you crazy bastards!

Good luck!!
    LilJohn Captain of Premium IV
    1991 4388 floating in the great PNW..

Comment

Good luck! Curious as to why you’re settling for an in water survey? Your insurer may require an out of water survey which will then cost you extra. I maybe didn’t understand your post? In any case wish you the best!
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

The in water was part 1. No need to haul out if we found stringer issues. Which we did, The 4 stringers that start at the transom are various degree of wet and or decayed. The surveyor took core samples. The damp stringers were reasonably bright wood. The wettest was nearly black. The Transom tested dry. The stringers got better the farther forward. At every other access point forward, all was well. So I halted the survey at that point. The owner is going to contact Rocky Point Marina and see what they can do. Bottom line is no matter what it has to be done. The owner is a honest man who wouldn’t try to foist it off on a sucker. Interestingly enough, my surveyor did this boat 10 years ago. He remembered it having this issue. 5 years later, no mention of it when the current owner bought it. Soooooo, I guess we see where that goes. If it is all cut out and repaired I view that as a plus. There is also sogginess in the swim platform which can be replaced. Thoughts.

Comment

The stringer repair is not difficult, just ugly work. Same with the core on the swim platform.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

• T Doriot
            T Doriot commented
            Editing a comment
            We will see what the boat yard thinks. I think we all know, it would perform fine as is. I just don’t want the aggravation when I go to sell.

Why don’t you take a nice drive on up to Anacortes Wa. and take a close look at this boat:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...yacht-3691834/

it appears to be pretty nicely equipped and well kept! About the last thing I would want to do is buy a boat with wet stringers or even having to deal with the PO repairIng it. How’d they get wet in the first place?

Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• T Doriot
            T Doriot commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a email into those guys. When I talked to them last, they had a sale fail due to bad manicoolers. Not sure if that has been corrected. Boat salesmen seem to be flakier than snake oil salesmen and are piss poor at follow up. If they have appropriate news, I may fly up and look it over. Sadly my surveyor is in Vancouver.

• T Doriot
            T Doriot commented
            Editing a comment
            Amy finally surfaced apologizing for not getting back to me. Said the 3888 had a bit of antifreeze in one engines oil. Mechanic pulled both manifolds, found nothing. Conjectured that the owners replacement of the turbo contributed to the contamination. Who knows. She has a new boat also not yet listed. Another 94. I’m very interested. As you mentioned, 5 years newer, hardtop, newer electronics, perhaps no water intrusion etc. Gotta crack the transport nut. I am actively working this angle.

• Jim_Gandee
            Jim_Gandee commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s only a 4-5 hr drive from Portland to Anacortes. Well worth it if you find a nice boat!

That listing is with Banana Belt. They are a good. If any doubts talk to Amy as she is the owner and I trust her.
          Guntar
          1999 3988
          Cummins 270s

Comment

Gunter,

I wouldn't trust Amy for two seconds. She's a sales woman that only cares about top dollar. Hence most boats in her yard are priced at the top of the market..
            LilJohn Captain of Premium IV
            1991 4388 floating in the great PNW..

Comment

Don't know Amy, but isn't that her job? If I was selling, that is what I would want.
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

I purchased my 38 from BBB and had some dealings with Amy and her family. Her dad was extremely helpful to me. I kept my boat on the hard right next door at Pacific Marine Center and John walked over to my boat several times to provide a helping hand and teach me about the systems on the 38. The family also let me borrow tools that I needed whenever I wanted and when they found out I was in the market for a second (stern) anchor they outright gave me one they had laying in storage! When my boat was first marketed by BBB it was overpriced by about 10K. Amy knew it but walked that fine line between listing what the PO thought it was worth versus the true value. In the end she actually negotiated with the PO and helped facilitate the deal at a realistic price!

The listing broker for my boat, Dan Byrd, who worked at BBB at that time was great! He was very knowledgeable about my boat and spent literally hours answering the hundreds of questions I had about the boat and cruising the area. Since then Dan has represented several of my close friends in both purchasing as well as selling their vessels. In the last transaction Dan was acting as the buyer’s broker and represented a friend of mine who purchased a 3988 in Oakland, Ca. Dan traveled from Seattle to Oakland twice and made the deal possible! He’s as honest and as hard working as they come! Dan now works for Fairhaven Yachts as a broker. If I ever purchase another boat I will immediately contact him as his expertise in the boat transaction process is extremely valuable and he is a consummate professional!

T Doriat, a buyers broker, especially when local to the boat in question, often knows the history of the boat. Might have even taken it to survey and sold it once already! You mention the 38 for sale by BBB has manicooler issues. Well, what are they? Might be relatively inexpensive to repair and when off you can have them ceramic coated and they’ll last you your lifetime. Personally, I’d much rather R&R two manicoolers than try to chase down repairing waterlogged stringers! Where does the water damage stop and start? What caused it? Will it happen again? Do I have to lift an engine to access the stringer? Etc! I suggest you give Dan a call. Pick his brain on any boat you’re thinking about. At the very least he’ll be on the lookout for a good boat for you! Good to have knowledgeable others helping you! Good luck finding a nice 38!
                Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 10-13-2020, 05:48 PM.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• T Doriot
                  T Doriot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the thoughtful reply Jim. I sent a email to BBB Sunday and no reply. The boat I had partially surveyed is being looked at later this week. The mouse is in the owners pocket. The gen set has to come out and the 4 stringers chased to dry wood. Not sure what the owners pain point is. I have nothing to do with that. It just needs to be complete and well done and have my surveyors stamp of approval. If all this comes together, it could save me a few months of moorage at $ 450/mo and be ready in spring. We awill a see. In the meantime, I am looking at anything else that pops up. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of communication by every boat broker. You'd think they would chase a live one a bit harder. That being said, this isn't a 500 k sale either!

• jim.sumi
                  jim.sumi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've had several dealings with Amy and BBB over the years. Never purchased through them but find them to be one of the most knowledgeable and honest brokers- though that's an oxymoron in most cases

TD, yes, some brokers can seem awful uninterested! I don’t understand that behavior either. I’d like you to find a nicely maintained, and problem free boat as possible. As possible means there will always something discovered on a 30+- year old boat. Personally I would not at all be interested in a boat with wet stringers, repaired or not. Your risk tolerance may be different.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• T Doriot
                  T Doriot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear ya. The quality of the repairs is the pivotal issue with me. Likely much of the 30 year old fleet has some type of water intrusion. This one seems to stem from misaligned shafts that wore out the seals and let water in at a rate high enough to keep the bilge wet in that are for some period of time. If it is all cut out, scarfed and re-glassed, not sure I have a problem. All that being said, I am actively looking at anything else that pops up. The snake oil salesmen are slow to respond for sure. Must be lots of stuff selling for high bucks if 50k sales aren't worth following up on emails !

I used Jason Whitaker of W/S Yachts 971-803-4097 as my buyers broker. He really saved me from myself as I was shopping boats by keeping me from offering too much. I'm not saying you necessarily need a buyers broker, you seem pretty savvy but if you end up still looking should this one not pan out and want someone looking out for your interests while helping you locate a boat I highly recommend Jason and his team.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Hi. Tony, I keep running across guys you worked with. Dave over at Rocky Point most recently. I talked with Jason about a 3888 in Portland. Very cagey about the sales status and price. Currently looking at a couple up North. We will see how that pans out! I'm in Washougal as well.

Tracy

Comment

• Bacon
                    Bacon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Been boating around here since 2006 with lots of cruising, two yacht clubs and Christmas ships so have met quite a few people. I noticed you indicated the long wait at Parker's Landing Marina. When we moved in we were told 1.5 to 2 years for a 40 foot slip. We went on the waitlist in April and had a slip by July. That was an open slip. We had initially went on the waitlist for covered moorage but then I noticed that the priority order for covered slips is existing tenants before new tenants so we change our initial request to be for any slip we would fit into. Amazingly the slip right next to our open slip opened up and we were under cover by September. Our covered moorage is $270 on a 12 month lease. Lots of great people in the marina. I've been watching what looks like an open 40' covered slip. So you might want to check with them. Never know.

BBB is a great boat broker. I would have no problem dealing with them. That 38 appears to be in great shape. Only downer is they removed the U Line ice maker. That's about a $1,100.00 mistake. I know. Mine was removed to and I bought a new one. I also hired a buyer broker.
                  JV

Comment

Thanks Tony. I will follow up on that. The gal I chatted with gave me the 8 year waiting list reply. I get your strategy. That slip lease is a few hundred a month less. I hope to find a boat house in the coming year.And yes Johnny, you know my tribe. A icemaker is a must to keep the natives happy!

Comment

Working...
                    X