No announcement yet.

Hallway Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on SuperbrightLEDs, I like them because they are good about the specs on their lights. They have many light stripe options with different lumens per foot and color temperatures. One diffuser trick I've done in the past is to put a light strip in a tube of clear tube of shrink wrap. Vetco in Bellevue, WA is one option for getting affordable heat shrink. Clear heat shrink is limited as a diffuser but it helps some and provides some water protection.

Comment

A related question...

Our 4788 has never had working hallway or under-stair lighting since we bought it - and I am now working to try and figure out why the lights have never worked and to determine what I need to do to replace the dead old rope lights with strip lights.

I've already determined that the light switch in the kitchen is burnt out - but I think there is some other short somewhere that I still need to trace down since even when I bypass the dead switch with 12V the lights still never come on.

Since I have never actually seen the lights working - this is what I assume are controlled by this switch and the one at the far end of the hall:
      • Lights Below steps to pilothouse (3 steps)
      • Lights Below steps at each end of the companionway (3 steps at salon end, 1 step at stateroom end)
      • Overhead lights in the companionway
      • Lights Under the Foot of the Master Bed

Are there any other lights that are supposed to be on this circuit? How are they wired?

And most importantly - does anyone know how the wires are routed and connected on this circuit?

I am trying to trace down how and why these lights are all dead on our boat - and I need to figure out what were mods by the prior owner and what was original from Bayliner.

Ideally - I'd love to find a place to integrate a dimmer / Wi-Fi- controller for all the lights here.

Thanks!

- Chris
      Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
      "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
      "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
      Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Comment

• egbauman
        egbauman commented
        Editing a comment
        The lights under the foot of the master bed are on a different circuit. They are controlled by the bottom switch in the master cabin (port side) and one of the hallway switches (middle one, I think). All the other lights you describe are on the same circuit and controlled from the galley switch (bottom one) and the hallway switch (bottom one).

Probably won't help, but on my 490 the stair lights, the ceiling light, and the lights at the foot of the bed are on 3 different switches.
      Lee
      2007 Meridian 490
      2007 Meridian 368
      1996 2855 Cierra
      1978 Caribbean 26'
      Oceanside, CA

Comment

On our 4588, there are 2 switches for the hall lights. On our boat in the group of 4 switches in the galley, and one in the group of 4 switches in the master berth. on the 4588 the turn on the ceiling lights in the hall and lights in the hall steps.
        Hino W06
        St. Louis, MO
        ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

I took all my florescent fixtures down and took out the tubes and then put led strip light in. I bought the leds in rolls from e-bay and cut to length. Then soldered together and re-installed complete with the diffuses. Gives off way more light even with the diffuse covers in place and retains the "original" look and feel.
          P/C Bob Hicks JN
          Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
          Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
          Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
          Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
          Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

And if you switch the hall lights to LEDs and want to dim them, I hope you’ve got a much much better understanding of LEDs on three way circuits than I do. Between the hall and the pilothouse I blew through $100 in specialized dimmers before I gave up. Apparently the proper dimmers don’t like being hooked up incorrectly - immediate failure. Sigh. But I sure like the bright hallway!
            Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
            Sammamish WA
            1998 4788 (April 2018)
            ”Knot Home”
            MMSI 368040370

Comment

Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
              And if you switch the hall lights to LEDs and want to dim them, I hope you’ve got a much much better understanding of LEDs on three way circuits than I do. Between the hall and the pilothouse I blew through $100 in specialized dimmers before I gave up. Apparently the proper dimmers don’t like being hooked up incorrectly - immediate failure. Sigh. But I sure like the bright hallway!
              I am not planning on a dimmer switch - I will use a Wi-Fi connected LED light controller and just say "Siri - Set the hallway lights to 20% brightness."

But since there are so many old dead lights on the circuit - I am trying to figure out where the wires are routed. What is between the switches and the hallway (and stair) lights? Where do the wires split off into various destinations?

Thanks!
              - Chris
              Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
              "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
              "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
              Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Comment

Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
                I just ordered enough LED “tape” and connectors and cut the “tape” to length (after removing the existing rope or whatever - can’t even rememberers what was there). The quarter-round fixtures can be easily removed. I was challenged with some really short wires on one side (factory cuts) and had a heck of a time holding the fixture and making the crimps.
                Thats the same thing I did. I had some LED tape and connectors left over from doing the lights in the salon and gave it a try. Nice and bright, or at least nice and brighter.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Originally posted by Technomadia View Post

I am not planning on a dimmer switch - I will use a Wi-Fi connected LED light controller and just say "Siri - Set the hallway lights to 20% brightness."

But since there are so many old dead lights on the circuit - I am trying to figure out where the wires are routed. What is between the switches and the hallway (and stair) lights? Where do the wires split off into various destinations?

Thanks!
                  - Chris
                  Could start by hooking up a tester or voltmeter with alligator clips at each dead light, flipping every switch you can find, and see if any of them give it juice...
                  Brad
                  Boatless in Seattle
                  Hunting for 4588

Comment

Chris,
                    if I remember correctly the lights you are talking about get their power from a breaker called “Passageway Lights” on the DC panel. I would start there and make sure the breaker is good. The wiring bundle drops down to the right as you are facing the panel. It then runs in the space you can see from the small access door on the starboard side of the companionway stairs. I believe the wiring breaks off there to run to the individual circuits. The wiring for the lights under the stairs is accessed behind the ice maker. I can’t remember where the the other runs are but hopefully this helps.
                    Steve
                    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                    MV Kia Orana
                    Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

all right, we'll see how it goes. I ordered several feet of natural light high density strip material. Little solder and a couple connectors and hope to have a big improvement. Let you know. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Purchased from LED Supply.
                      Toni

Yelm, Washington
                      1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

To finish up the project. I did get the lights and the install was pretty simple. They were adhesive backed, so once the covers were removed, just stuck an appropriate length of the light strip on the back side. The only tricky part was soldering wires to the contact points on the light strips. I found some low temp solder which I used. https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Tempera...5803973&sr=8-5 ehh....I like the real stuff better. Anyway, lights are done and its PERFECT. Can actually see the stains on the hallway carpet now! Easy project for anyone interested and total cost was probably less than 50.00.
                        Toni

Yelm, Washington
                        1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

In 2017 I replaced all of the original incandescent strip-lighting and florescent tubes everywhere in our 2001 4788 with LED strip lighting from Hero-LED, and they are perfect.

I used 3000K (warm white) in the salon, companionway and pilothouse, and 4000K in the aft head to replace the florescents (4000K is better for applying makeup, my wife says).

Make sure you get the 72W/5m strips (the LEDs are spaced closer) for your companionway lights - you will definitely need the extra brightness there! I used the 36W/5m strips for the Pilothouse.

The ones I used are no longer sold on Amazon, but there are dozens of similar replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                          X