Hallway Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallway Lighting

I'm sure there must have been discussions on this, but as usual, my search skills pretty much suck...so here again....

For those with the pilot house boats, you'll be familiar with what seems to be a lack of lighting in the hallway up to the forward birth. I feel like I'm walking down into my basement. On each side there is an approximately 3' covered area with lights inside or under it.

I'm determined to change that out and put something in place with more light.

Has anyone come up with a better idea? I've thought about using a section of led strip lighting, or perhaps some small fixtures on each side. but welcome suggestions.

thanks

toni
    Toni

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

I pulled the covers from mine. That helps. But the best is that my boat has been fitted with Fluorescent lights that are fed from the inverter throughout the boat. They make seeing throughout the boat like being in a regular home with very little pull on our batteries.
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

We replaced all the Fixtures with tubes to these LED lights and they are super bright and have last 4-5 years so far

https://m4products.com/t8-standalone...ght-12v-6000k/
      Mark
      USCG OUPV
      1990 4588
      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I replaced the rope lights in the companionway with brighter LED versions. Both up along the upper wall and along the stairs leading to the salon. Made a big difference.
        Evan
        2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
        League City, TX

Comment

We also replaced the hall lights with LED bars.
          Check out SuperBrightLEDS.com.
          Our Hall is now very bright
          Hino W06
          St. Louis, MO
          ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

thank you all. Gives me some ideas. I'll Start by removing the cover and go from there.

toni
            Toni

Yelm, Washington
            1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Ditto on Super rite LED. Helpful staff. Can’t find my purchase records but used a fairly bright warm white strip. Installation was easy except having a helper to hold the “fixture” at a couple points in the process would help.
              Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”
              MMSI 368040370

Comment

How long of a light bar did you guys use? And, did you do anything to the cover to accommodate the change?
                Toni

Yelm, Washington
                1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

I just ordered enough LED “tape” and connectors and cut the “tape” to length (after removing the existing rope or whatever - can’t even rememberers what was there). The quarter-round fixtures can be easily removed. I was challenged with some really short wires on one side (factory cuts) and had a heck of a time holding the fixture and making the crimps.
                  Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”
                  MMSI 368040370

Comment

If I remember correctly, I ordered a 20” bar with a diffuser. It was very small, something like 3/4” x 3/4” x 20 or 24”. Mounted it to the wall, did not make any modifications.
                    Hino W06
                    St. Louis, MO
                    ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

Think this is the one I ordered from SuperBrightLEDS.
                      Hino W06
                      St. Louis, MO
                      ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

thanks again. I was planning to get down there this morning but things got in the way. Will try again tomorrow and let you know how it went.
                        Toni

Yelm, Washington
                        1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Follow up, Our boat had wood covers over the hall lights, we did replace those after attaching the LED bars to the wall.

Hino W06
                          St. Louis, MO
                          ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

Double ditto on the LED light bars. Did this to the passage way and all of the Valances in Salon, berths, & baths. Inexpensive & very easy install.
                            4588 1990
                            Channel Isl Marina

Comment

I used the LED tape with a v-shaped diffuser i found on amazon. The one on the right is the new one. Much brighter. Very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X