Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 vs 94 3888

Hi All,
    In my quest for a local 3888 in the Portland OR area, There area a couple. The 89 has the 175 Hinos. The 94 has the 210's. While I prefer the 94, it has a deal in the works. If it sale fails, I will give it a shot. The 89 is a decent boat and 40k less. For those of you that have experienced the difference, what is your take on the two different power plants? Obviously this isn't a ski boat, but I don't want to buy something (besides a boat in general) that I will regret later! Thanks for your wise input. Tracy

Is the 89 alaya m?
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian, MMSI 338355743
    1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

• T Doriot
      T Doriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Tony, I see you are close to my house! Sadly there is a 8 year wait for a covered slip! The 89 isn't named, (at least not that I saw) It's by a private seller in Scapoose. He's asking 50, but I get the feeling it's less. The other is with WS in Portland. Cruise In. Very well kept boat. Air, diesel heat, newer appliances. Priced at 85. That feels like top of market for a 94. Both have a bit over 2200. The 94 has a hardtop, the 89 has full canvas. Both have great canvas. That is a huge price spread. Apparently the 94 is sold. The broker is super sketchy regarding the probability of a completed sale. I'm going to visit Scapoose again tomorrow.

• Bacon
      Bacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Jason Whittaker was our buyer and seller broker. He was a huge help to us and saved us thousands. Before we bought Caspian we attempted to buy an 89 3888 in Scappoose just down river from Rockey Point. Owners name was Steve and the boat was Alaya M. We loved it but seller owed more than we, were willing to pay based on the survey. Cruise in is a beautiful boat and a fellow Christmas Ship.

It’s all about condition. Period. 40K is a lot of difference! The 89 is going to be a knot or three slower, maybe, at the top end, about the difference for speed. My 1988 crises between 13&14kn at 2800 with the 175’s. I wanted the naturally aspirated engines because I didn’t want to play with the turbos. What’s so great about the difference between the boats to cover the difference? New canvas, and lots of it? Cockpit hardtop vs open? Hull extension? A fancy dinghy? Generator vs no generator?
    Don’t get hung up on electronics, most buyers aren’t going to pay a whole lot extra for even new equipment. I replaced my 1988 Raytheon Radar with a Garmin multiple function display with gps and added a radar antenna and sonar transducer for around 3k. It has WiFi So it will interface with my phone, iPad and computer, so I can use the iPad as a repeater and remote from wherever on the boat.
    We like pictures and sales links.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• T Doriot
      T Doriot commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Pete, Thanks for the info. It has radar that apparently works. Depth sounder and autohelm. As you said, the system you speak of would be my go to. I navigate by IPad, so that interface is useful. The speed difference isn't a big deal. The 38xx series isn't a race boat. I don't even run my Searay all out. I enjoy the slower pace. I can see adding 10 k in upgrades, which still puts me 35k under the nicer boat. I figured you guys would have some great info. The downside on the 89 is it needs a good cut, buff and wax. But it isn't bad at all. I will add some pics tomorrow.

• Pcpete
      Pcpete commented
      Editing a comment
      If Earl Summerville isn’t on your list yet for the engines, he can’t be recommended highly enough. [email protected]
      When I bought ours, I had a list of things I wanted be it accessories or features. Then there was the list of what maintenance items needing attention I was willing to accept if the price reflected the magnitude of the work.

For $20-30k more, you could step up to a 3988...
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I own a 92 3888 with the 210 hinos and the big difference is min are 4 cyl while the 175's are 6 cyl. That gives me lots more room in the engine bay for repair, maintenance and storage. Otherwise the boats are pretty much the same from what I have seen.
      P/C Bob Hicks JN
      Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
      Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
      Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
      Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
      Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

When we were shopping for our 38 the naturals (175's) were a selling plus for me. The cruise speed is basically the same, WOT is better with 210's

As these all get older the simpler the engine the better in my opinion.

I would still buy on overall condition, if you are a DIY sort of person then $40K makes a lot of difference on condition, less if you are a checkbook owner.
        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

IMO the Hino 210’s are slightly more desirable due to less weight in the stern and more space in the engine room. There is a slight top end performance gain as well but fairly negligible especially since most don’t operate the 38 at top speeds often. For a 40K difference one has a lot of room for upgrades, polish/wax, electronics, fuel and a host of other items. I will say this: a hard top is desirable! It provides an awesome elevated hangout area on sunny days, ice chest storage and the top perimeter for the all important cockpit enclosure for the rain and inclement weather found in the PNW.
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]
          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• T Doriot
            T Doriot commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi All, visited the 89 again today. Got a copy of the 5 year old survey. The current owner cured the significant squawks at that time. The engines are 1700 hrs. Generator 1200 hrs. All equipment working in great shape. The finish is pretty good for the vintage. While the fiberglass is not chalked out, but looks like a serious cut, buff, wax. Not sure what that costs, but likely make a big difference. The bottom was painted a year ago. There is the famous pin hole in the fresh water tank. The owner added a 100 gal tank under the front berth. Wouldn’t mind fixing that. The boat doesn’t have air conditions. Has anyone piggy backed air at the diesel heater ducting? That seems like a reasonable solution that keeps the chiller in the rear hold. The boat has no tv, but the owner thinks there is coax. Hopefully so. While the 1994 is a nicer better equipped boat, $ 40 k difference leaves lots of room to make reasonable improvements.I will post some pics when I get to my PC and can upload. I appreciate the help.

Hi All, visited the 89 again today. Got a copy of the 5 year old survey. The current owner cured the significant squawks at that time. The engines are 1700 hrs. Generator 1200 hrs. All equipment working in great shape. The finish is pretty good for the vintage. While the fiberglass is not chalked out, but looks like a serious cut, buff, wax. Not sure what that costs, but likely make a big difference. The bottom was painted a year ago. There is the famous pin hole in the fresh water tank. The owner added a 100 gal tank under the front berth. Wouldn’t mind fixing that. The boat doesn’t have air conditioning. Has anyone piggy backed air at the diesel heater ducting? That seems like a reasonable solution that keeps the chiller in the rear hold. (Except for the return air equation) The boat has no TV, but the owner thinks there is coax. Hopefully so. While the 1994 is a nicer better equipped boat, $ 40 k difference leaves lots of room to make reasonable improvements. I am very aware this is nearly 30 years old, so my expectations need to be tempered. This distraction does not warrant me selling my house and buying a new 40 footer for $ 500k, so I try to view this thing thru that lens. Assuming the survey is reasonably clean, I likely will move forward with the purchase. Get ready for a million questions!

Comment

After lusting after the 3888's for 30 plus years, I thought I knew them fairly well. One surprise is the fore deck is all white as opposed to the grey on the anti skid. I don't recall seeing that before. Anyone have any insight? Secondly, This one has the diesel furnace, but no air conditioning. Anyone know if there is a duct chase to the HVAC areas that could provide return air? Obviously I could come up into the cabinet base near the bar and suck the return air out of there. But I am sure one of you guys know. I would love a recommendation Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_135943_Film3.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	601258 for a air cond unit. Water cooled of course. Maybe reverse cycle to provide heat. I don't know what I don't know. Thanks. Tracy

Comment

Tracy, I have never seen an all white 38 foredeck. I wonder if that was due to a soft deck repair which was then painted white? I’m sure you know to get your own survey vs relying on the PO’s 5 year old survey. Regarding the water tank leak- I’d either want that repaired or a substantial reduction in the price to reflect the discrepancy. As far as the A/C, my boat’s in SoCal and I do not have A/C. There’s probably 5-7 days per year that I wish I had it during the day but even during the hottest days the ocean cools things off well enough at night that we don’t need A/C for sleeping. I’m not so sure you’ll need A/C much in the PDX area. However, the heater will come in very handy! Make sure you and your surveyor closely inspect the radar arch for integrity. The original arch’s were “sealed” with vinyl covered plywood and had a wood frame interior which tends to rot. Many of us have rebuilt our arches. Looking back at the amount of work I put into that arch I’d recommend to anyone to toss a rotted original and replace with an aluminum arch. YMMV
              PS. Is that a 182 I see in your hangar?
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• T Doriot
                T Doriot commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Jim, Thanks for the lucid thoughts. You are right about the few hot days and the water effect. I will take your advice and de-prioritize the AC in lieu of other more pressing projects. Thanks for the info on the arch. We will look at that during the survey for sure. The plane was my 1974 Cessna 172. I now have a super cherry 1973 172M. Lucky for me I like more vintage toys! They do not have to be new, but they have to be pretty nice, no apology vintage! The non-grey deck issue is one of the things that made the second field trip happen. I assumed maybe it had a painted deck. But no. I went over it pretty closely and no evidence of any work or paint. Just fiberglass that could use a cut, polish and wax. I don't get it. I'm sure some Bayliner MY historian has the answer. It isn't unpleasant however. It actually grew on me.

A purchase survey for condition and valuation is a given. While a five year old survey is a baseline, any insurance company is going to demand a new one. Stick close to your surveyor and mark the location of findings with a photo that offers a point of reference and a magnitude of the area. Maybe a post it, but something that doesn’t mark a boat you don’t own.
              My water tank wasn’t leaking but it had some sort of sand created by chlorinated water and aluminum. I was able to clean it out, seal the inside with a food grade epoxy and cap the access holes. Not quite the full surgery to replace the tank, but close. One thing for sure is 800# of water under the bunk is going to help bring the bow down. I have 500# of ballast up there that’s going to have to move if my crew gets it’s way and I install a thruster.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

• T Doriot
                T Doriot commented
                Editing a comment
                Indeed Pete, The survey is scheduled for mid next week. I will take your advice and shadow the surveyor. I didn't look under the bunk yet, but it would ballast for sure. The owners said the leak was very slow, so don't know what that means. Has anyone ever come up with a rubber bladder solution that could simply be stuffed into the tank? Seems like someone could make those. Anyway. The adventure continues!

• Pcpete
                Pcpete commented
                Editing a comment
                The tank has two lateral baffles in it that make inserting a bladder difficult. However, others have gone to a bladder installation after removing the tank. The issue with replacement is the current tank goes under the deck in the guest stateroom and double deck in the head. It comes out with a sawzall. Most have been replaced with two poly or custom built fiberglass tanks that can be side by side or fore and aft. The fore and aft option requires some surgery to the stateroom deck so each tank can be dropped in then positioned. If you get to the point of repairing or replacing the tank, I can share the gyrations I went through.

Tracy, have you looked at this 38: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...yacht-3691834/

It appears to be a very clean example of a 38. Positives are: no hideous green galley top. 210 HP engines, hard top, diesel heat and relatively low engine hours, radar, etc.
              You'd have to run it through the strait, out and around but that’d be a fun trip if you wait for a nice weather window day. The price is maybe a little more than the 89 you’re looking at but I’ll bet the water tank doesn’t leak! YMMV

PS. I have an old Cessna too. 1977 T210M.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• T Doriot
                T Doriot commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Jim, thanks for the shout out. I did check that one out. The broker said the manicoolers came up as shot during the survey and they were wrestling with the owner on the financial solution. I have not heard from him, so assume it’s still in limbo. These sales dudes would all be fired off they worked for me. Piss poor communication. You’d think when a live one surfaces, they would follow up! That 210 must be a hoot!

• Pcpete
                Pcpete commented
                Editing a comment
                Earl has the patterns for the manicooler and has an order of them cast when he has a few orders. He supplies some of the retail outlets with them, but if you ask nice, he might sell a set.

Tracy,
              Changing a manicooler is dramatically easier than replacing the water tank! If one could settle on an equitable price for a boat that’s needs new manicoolers I’d be mighty tempted to go that route especially if the rest of the boat showed very nice! Regarding the coolers, I’m curious how they were determined bad without removal and inspection? Maybe they just require some machine shop work?
              Often a buyers broker can get things accomplished with the listing broker when communication is difficult. Dan Byrd (509.929.3535) is an Anacortes based broker who is as solid as they come. Normally they share the sellers fees with the listing broker. I suggest you contact him and discuss the situation with him. Dan knows Bayliners extremely well and he worked at Banana Belt for many years so knows the people there. . Myself and several close friends have used him to purchase and sell boats. At the very least you’ll have him in your corner on the lookout for a good boat. I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Please tell him I sent you and say hi.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

And here’s another example of a 38 that has a lot of very nice features for what appears to be a reasonable price. There’d be a few hoops to jump through to get it from Canada but certainly not impossible. To get it to PDX it could be run through the sound to Olympia then trucked to PDX ( I did this and it wasn’t that big a deal) or run out the strait, down the coast and across the bar then up the river.
                https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...yacht-3710066/
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                  Tracy,
                  Changing a manicooler is dramatically easier than replacing the water tank! If one could settle on an equitable price for a boat that’s needs new manicoolers I’d be mighty tempted to go that route especially if the rest of the boat showed very nice! Regarding the coolers, I’m curious how they were determined bad without removal and inspection? Maybe they just require some machine shop work?
                  Often a buyers broker can get things accomplished with the listing broker when communication is difficult. Dan Byrd (509.929.3535) is an Anacortes based broker who is as solid as they come. Normally they share the sellers fees with the listing broker. I suggest you contact him and discuss the situation with him. Dan knows Bayliners extremely well and he worked at Banana Belt for many years so knows the people there. . Myself and several close friends have used him to purchase and sell boats. At the very least you’ll have him in your corner on the lookout for a good boat. I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Please tell him I sent you and say hi.
                  "I’m curious how they were determined bad without removal and inspection? Maybe they just require some machine shop work?"
                  A great observation in my opinion.

"Changing a manicooler is dramatically easier than replacing the water tank!"
                  Yes - absolutely.
                  Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                  X