Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hino 110 transmission question

Hello all,

I own a 1986 Bayliner 3270 with Hino 110s. It's my understanding that the transmissions that came with that setup were Hurth 360As, so I'm assuming that's what I have. The whole boat has under 400 hours on it and overall works great, but I have noticed a reproducible issue with the starboard transmission:

When the transmission (and engine) are cold, and you shift it into forward, although the shaft starts to spin fairly slowly right away (but not so slowly that you would want to grab it with your hand or anything), it's about 3 seconds before you feel the "clunk" and it fully engages. When the system has been running awhile, like after a 3 hour trip at cruising speed, the time before the "clunk" is more like 10 seconds. Once it cools down, it goes back to about 3 seconds. I've checked this by moving the linkage on the transmission, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the shifting cable. It seems to shift into reverse just fine, and the other transmission shifts both forward and reverse just fine.

Would anybody happen to have any insight into this issue?
    Thanks much for your time,
    -Dennis

Check the idle speed of the engine. I bought a portable laser tach from Amazon for less than $30 that works great. There’s probably a rubber plug at the back of the engine block that exposes the flywheel. I just attach a tab of reflective tape to the flywheel and get a much more accurate reading than the panel tachs..How long has it been since you changed the fluid and filters? My second guess, and one I’d check at the same time is the fluid level at a minimum. Is the shift lever on the transmission where the remote control cable attaches tight?
    I went through some of the same stuff earlier this summer and found that the idle stop screw had come loose and backed off. Easy fix.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

The 360a gears use a well know thrust washer that wears out in time. It’s a maintenance items that needs to be replaced. Your symptoms are exactly what happens when they wear out. If you wait too long the gear will see catastrophic failure. I had this happen to me. Parts are no longer available and I had no choice to replace with a 630a gear. The gear needs to come out and repaired right away.
      1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
      2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
      2019 Cobia 240 CC
      2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
      1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Thanks for your replies! We found debris in the fluid, so the transmission is absolutely going to come out.

P91473, in case I need to upgrade to a 630a, could you share some details on the upgrade you did?

thanks,
        -Dennis

Comment

If you have to go with 630a gears it’s a direct bolt on. The exception is the 630a is slightly shorter then the 360a. To solve this the best workaround is to add driver savers to your shafts. That will add the additional few inches needed. It is what all the 32xx owners have done when switching to 630a gears.
          1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
          2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
          2019 Cobia 240 CC
          2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
          1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Thanks for the info P91473. The transmission is in the shop now and I'll let you know what happens!

-Dennis

Comment

Working...
            X