490 house battery replacements for T-105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

490 house battery replacements for T-105

My house bank of 6 x Trojan T-105s is over 6 years old and not holding a charge like I would expect. I'm thinking about swapping out with an identical new set but wanted to check if there is any new technology / brands I should be looking at. Not ready to go Lithium yet as I don't fully understand if it will integrate seamlessly. Also not planning to change out the P/S starter batteries. Looking forward to any experiences...
    2005 Meridian 490
    Twin 330 Cummins 6BTA5.9-M3 / ZF 80 A – 2.0
    Tacoma, WA

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C66EBBA-E677-4903-A2FD-283BD2576EFF_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	600026
    2005 Meridian 490
    Tacoma, WA

Comment

I have the same setup, old school but it works as long as you keep them watered
      PuraVidaTN
      2008 490 Pilothouse
      Proud member of the Vol Navy

Comment

Look at Trojan T-145, slight larger and you get more amps
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I am a broken record on this - L16's. 420Ah per pair (Some are 370Ah - so pay attention to specifics).
          Get 4 of them and be done. They are heavy but allow deeper DOD and net out more usable amp hours. For what you have today you really could probably match up capacity pretty close with just 2 of them but bigger bank will not discharge as deep and allow for lots more charge/discharge cycles.
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by kwb View Post
            I am a broken record on this - L16's. 420Ah per pair (Some are 370Ah - so pay attention to specifics).
            Get 4 of them and be done. They are heavy but allow deeper DOD and net out more usable amp hours. For what you have today you really could probably match up capacity pretty close with just 2 of them but bigger bank will not discharge as deep and allow for lots more charge/discharge cycles.
            Thats exactly what I went with. Four L16

Also put in new heavy duty battery boxes and got rid of those flimsy white ones.

The whole job took just a few hours.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

That's what I have also, 4 L16, (Interstate) -- very happy with the setup. L16 AGMs would be even better.

Jim

Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
              Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

I use Crown equivalents of T-105's. Crown is a Ohio company making high end batteries. Worth comparing if you stay with flooded batteries. As a bit of an aside I once compared T-105 to T-125 and learned the price increase and slightly lower cycle life made the larger capacity less value than sticking with T-105 or their Crown equivalent.
                1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Great info gents thanks. Looking at the L16s 420Ah now.

I notice the AGMs are almost double the price. Is the only advantage not having to water them?
                  2005 Meridian 490
                  Tacoma, WA

Comment

I have stuck with Interstate T-145 forever probably only because there is a convenient dealer with good prices. I have 4 house. They seem to last and have survived a few harsh drains due to accidentally shutting off the charger when leaving. I also rarely have to add water. I did not know about the L-16 option. I think I would make the conversion next time I replace them.
                    Lee
                    2007 Meridian 490
                    2007 Meridian 368
                    1996 2855 Cierra
                    1978 Caribbean 26'
                    Oceanside, CA

Comment

Originally posted by brewspore View Post
                      Great info gents thanks. Looking at the L16s 420Ah now.

I notice the AGMs are almost double the price. Is the only advantage not having to water them?
                      Additional potential benefits of AGM:
                      Sealed, don't emit corrosive gasses .. good if the y are in a living area or place with limited ventilation
                      Can be mounted on positions other than upright
                      Will generally tolerate deeper discharge cycles
                      Will accept more amps during charging — if you have a high output alternator ..

Jim
                      Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
                      Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

The photo in post 2 has three battery boxes. Two 8D boxes will take the six GC's and tidy things a wee bit.
                        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I converted the whole boat to Lifeline AGM’s. My house bank is 4 L16’s 800 AH. They are located in swim step hull extension with limited ventilation so that’s why I used them there. My 2 G31 bow thruster batteries are located under master berth So they neede to be AGM as well. I was told all batteries on same charging system should have same charging profile so I changed out my old start batteries as well.
                          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                          MV Kia Orana
                          Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Interesting. I have also read all batteries on same charging system should have same charging profile. Currently I have:

6 x Trojan T-105 (house)
                            4 x Centennial C-31-10ST (starting)
                            4 x Trojan T-125 (starting)

These are all flooded, so not sure if this is the definition of a "mixed" charging system. Perhaps adding an AGM changes things? If anyone has any experience with this would be great to hear.
                            2005 Meridian 490
                            Tacoma, WA

Comment

• Knothome4788
                              Knothome4788 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Adding AGM changes things. As detailed there probably isn’t much difference in the recommended charging profiles for the three battery “models”. I don’t know how they’re wired to your charger and/or inverter-charger but the same chemistry, AGM have a different charging profile. Using FLA profiles on AGM will ruin the AGMs (at least based on our POs set up which destroyed 4 x Full River AGMs). I have reached the conclusion that if you 12v house set up is a major contributor to cruising joy then it’s worth paying a bit more and engaging an “expert” to implement any major change. Our set up is working well, but more luck and info from the BOC than skill. 20/20 hindsight I would have benefitted greatly from the additional expense. YMMV

I have 6 FLA golf cart batteries that will be due to replacement in 1 - 2 years. I have started to do research on Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) as the house bank replacement. So far it seems like the way to go.
                            -Zero maintenance
                            -Safe (doesn't have the runaway potential like Lithium Ion)
                            -No off gassing
                            -5000-10000 charge cycles (depending on model and depth of discharge).
                            -Battery float charging can be done but is not necessary.
                            -Fairly minimal changes required for charging systems (any relatively modern charger probably already supports them).There are direct replacement models that use AGM/GEL charging profiles.
                            -Huge improvement on power to weight density (1 - 30lb 12 volt LiFePO4 battery will give roughly the same or better usable power than a pair of Trojan T105s)
                            -Voltage range is much better; fully charged it is around 13.6 volts, fully discharged is 12.8 volts (which ends up using slightly less amps)
                            -Much lower internal battery resistance
                            -LiFePo4 battery cells are managed rather that just raw cells like conventional batteries which provide over current protection, cell balancing and many other possible features.

In my application I can go from 450 lbs of batteries down to 90lbs of batteries with less space taken. I think the job of changing them out sounds much easier too.

Cost wise - around 2.5 times the price based on usable amp hours plus they last ten times longer.
                            It seems to be a pretty clear choice for house battery bank. Moreover, it seems that buying FLA or AGMs are actually very poor value when compared.

Do some searching on YouTube, there is a lot of great information out there or check with a professional shop (battery/solar shop).
                            The biggest concert would be modifying the charging profile of your house bank alternator.

Anyway, just might want to consider this before committing to the same old battery technology.
                            1995 Bayliner 3587
                            Twin Hino 250HP
                            Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

• kwb
                              kwb commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I think you are minimizing the impact of the complexity of the BMS at the price you are quoting. I went down this path before I replaced my batteries this year, it can be done but there is a lot of DIY to set it up to be safe or a lot higher price point for the systems that are a lot closer to plug and play.

I don't doubt that my next set of batteries will be a newer technology than FLA but that should be ~8yrs out and may be beyond LiFePo4.
                          Working...
                          X