Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

experience with Victron power equipment?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    experience with Victron power equipment?

    I am considering upgrading my current inverter/charger. My Xantrex SW 3012 has done it’s job well, but it’s a decade old and starting to act up a bit.

    The goals of the “new” inverter/charger are...

    Stacked to increase battery charging capability and redundancy. This will reduce generator run time by suppling my batteries full 200a of absorption battery charging capability.
    Integration with battery monitor system
    Integration with solar charge controller
    Provide a single energy display showing the status of all energy related systems.

    does anyone have experience with the Victron systems, especially the newer touch display?

    Thanks!

    KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

    where are we right now?

    https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

    #2
    Yes, we installed a Victron Multiplus, Cerbo GX and Color GX display this year, along with a Victron MPPT for our new solar installation. So far we really like the Victron integration, and remote monitoring capabilities. The installation was very straight forward, and everything worked together flawlessly.

    We choose Victron equipment primarily due to the capability with the Battery Management System (REC BMS) I am using to control all charge and discharge sources associated with our new LiFePO4 house bank. However, even without the excellent compatibility with our BMS, the Victron equipment seems very well thought out and very plug-n-play.

    As an example, when we went to integrate our MPPT into the rest of the system, I just hooked up all the wires and the communication link to the Cerbo GX and it started working without any further configuration. Part of this has to do with the BMS controlling the entire system via CAN bus, but I suspect it would have been nearly as easily with just the Victron equipment alone.

    The only negative we have encountered is poor Wifi performance, but the Cerbo GX is not particularly close our our router and it does have a physical network connection that I will be hooking up as soon as I find time to run a CAT 5 cable.

    The integrated display on the Color GX is great, it shows input sources and outputs as well as battery status in a very nice display.
    GMS
    2008 Meridian 490
    2010 ArrowCat Express 30 (sold)

    Comment


      #3
      Kevin - I seem to remember you have ~850AH of L16 batteries that get drawn down 400AH overnight when on the hook. Do you have an amp meter onboard now that shows battery acceptance when under charge? Reason I'm asking is that the additional charging capacity is unlikely to reduce your charging time significantly. Lead acid battery acceptance drops rapidly when above 50% SOC. Your setup is probably well below 75amps acceptance within 10 - 15 minutes of starting to charge. You could fix that by switching to lithium

      I have some experience with Victron monitors and controllers. I don't have experience with the WiFi but I do with the bluetooth - and while advertised as low power is robust enough that I can monitor things from pilothouse and flybridge.

      I like that they are open source and other manufacturer's can plug in to their controls. I also like that Victron offers a full suite of equipment for an integrated power management system.

      Irony
      1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
      Portsmouth, NH

      Comment


        #4
        So, I just switched our Sprinter ERA to lithum and have had a great experience and now looking to the same on our 4588 with this model form Battleborn (have same brand in the sprinter) https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...cycle-battery/
        I have 6 Trojan T145 today, so 3 of batteries will give me 50% more amp hours as they can go down 90% discharge and can recharge at much faster rate (acceptance rate noted above) and are compatible with my existing Magnum, balmar charge controller and Bluesky solar charge controller we did a few years back. I am sharing as it made a huge difference in our sprinter and I firmly believe it will do the same in the boat. 10 year battery life guaranteed from them and they made in the USA (Reno)...plus a huge weight reduction over 50% and half the space.
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Kwood View Post
          Kevin - I seem to remember you have ~850AH of L16 batteries that get drawn down 400AH overnight when on the hook. Do you have an amp meter onboard now that shows battery acceptance when under charge? Reason I'm asking is that the additional charging capacity is unlikely to reduce your charging time significantly. Lead acid battery acceptance drops rapidly when above 50% SOC. Your setup is probably well below 75amps acceptance within 10 - 15 minutes of starting to charge. You could fix that by switching to lithium

          I have some experience with Victron monitors and controllers. I don't have experience with the WiFi but I do with the bluetooth - and while advertised as low power is robust enough that I can monitor things from pilothouse and flybridge.

          I like that they are open source and other manufacturer's can plug in to their controls. I also like that Victron offers a full suite of equipment for an integrated power management system.
          Thanks!

          My batteries can accept 200 amps during the bulk phase which in my cvase is between 50 and about 85% as i have two parallel strings. My current charger is 150 amps and my load is generally about 40 amps so I am only getting about half my capacity.

          If I go with this I’ll hardwire the controller into my existing network which provides WIFI throughout the boat and always on internet.

          KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

          where are we right now?

          https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by GMS View Post
            Yes, we installed a Victron Multiplus, Cerbo GX and Color GX display this year, along with a Victron MPPT for our new solar installation. So far we really like the Victron integration, and remote monitoring capabilities. The installation was very straight forward, and everything worked together flawlessly.

            We choose Victron equipment primarily due to the capability with the Battery Management System (REC BMS) I am using to control all charge and discharge sources associated with our new LiFePO4 house bank. However, even without the excellent compatibility with our BMS, the Victron equipment seems very well thought out and very plug-n-play.

            As an example, when we went to integrate our MPPT into the rest of the system, I just hooked up all the wires and the communication link to the Cerbo GX and it started working without any further configuration. Part of this has to do with the BMS controlling the entire system via CAN bus, but I suspect it would have been nearly as easily with just the Victron equipment alone.

            The only negative we have encountered is poor Wifi performance, but the Cerbo GX is not particularly close our our router and it does have a physical network connection that I will be hooking up as soon as I find time to run a CAT 5 cable.

            The integrated display on the Color GX is great, it shows input sources and outputs as well as battery status in a very nice display.
            Thanks for the great comments. This is probably the route I am going to go.

            Do you have the battery monitor/controller? If so which model, the panel mount or the network unit?

            KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

            where are we right now?

            https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

            Comment


              #7
              I went with the Quatro 12v/5000/220-100/100 120V - that’s 12v input, 5000VA constant for non-linear loads (10,000 watts for short duration so long as you have enough batter behind it) 220 amps charge, 2x 100 amp pass through, 120VAC. I’m using a BMV 702 until I can get a SmartShunt, MK3-USB to VE.Bus to USB interface, and a Venus GX.

              I’m really happy with the control I have from the web based interface on the Venus GX and the fact that I didn’t need to mount yet another display on my helm. The Quatro has a great auto transfer switch capability that allows me to eliminate the input breakers on my main AC panel that switch between shore power and generator - Both inputs are connected directly to the quatro and then back to the AC panel for distro.

              The MK3-USB is required to configure the inverter charger - without it, you’ll have very limited access to the configuration options.

              My only gripe, and it only mattered when I was installing it, is the size. I mounted it right where the battery chargers was, on the port hull next to the shaft well. It’s too tall to fit standing upright so I ended up mounting it sideways (Victron approves this orientation)

              After a few months running it in a variety of temperatures, I’m really happy with the choice. Even after running the mains for hours and having a pretty warm engine room, it delivers full power.

              Looking forward to see what you end up with Kevin!
              Shawn Hammer and Geri Schaffer
              G-dock, Shilshole, Seattle
              2005 Meridian 490
              2016 Walker Bay
              M/V 2nd Circus

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MV2ndCircus View Post
                I went with the Quatro 12v/5000/220-100/100 120V - that’s 12v input, 5000VA constant for non-linear loads (10,000 watts for short duration so long as you have enough batter behind it) 220 amps charge, 2x 100 amp pass through, 120VAC. I’m using a BMV 702 until I can get a SmartShunt, MK3-USB to VE.Bus to USB interface, and a Venus GX.

                I’m really happy with the control I have from the web based interface on the Venus GX and the fact that I didn’t need to mount yet another display on my helm. The Quatro has a great auto transfer switch capability that allows me to eliminate the input breakers on my main AC panel that switch between shore power and generator - Both inputs are connected directly to the quatro and then back to the AC panel for distro.

                The MK3-USB is required to configure the inverter charger - without it, you’ll have very limited access to the configuration options.

                My only gripe, and it only mattered when I was installing it, is the size. I mounted it right where the battery chargers was, on the port hull next to the shaft well. It’s too tall to fit standing upright so I ended up mounting it sideways (Victron approves this orientation)

                After a few months running it in a variety of temperatures, I’m really happy with the choice. Even after running the mains for hours and having a pretty warm engine room, it delivers full power.

                Looking forward to see what you end up with Kevin!
                Thanks!

                Installing the Quattro would solve my battery charging challenge. Thats one big inverter/charger!

                KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

                where are we right now?

                https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well...

                  I took a chance and ordered the CERBO controller, touch 50 display and the 712 battery monitor as a start to my new system.

                  After these are in and working I’ll get the new inverter/charger on the way.



                  I am limited on boat time as the head remodels are taking a bit of a priority right now

                  KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  www.transferswitch4less.com

                  where are we right now?

                  https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Here are photos of the units I ordered.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	819F25A8-6C70-4D5D-84D1-CD2DE32AD6B4.png
Views:	67
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	600285Click image for larger version

Name:	A224F663-E526-4169-BE58-E3D963F14EB1.png
Views:	46
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	600286Click image for larger version

Name:	A5720047-6373-4395-91E9-52F2D332DCB7.png
Views:	44
Size:	744.6 KB
ID:	600287

                    KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                    www.transferswitch4less.com

                    where are we right now?

                    https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I just added a Victron DC/DC charger to step down my 24v bank along with the BMV 712 Smart Battery Monitor. Very happy with both. I love that both have bluetooth and I can review the state of charge/discharge on my iphone and receive email alerts when away from the boat for disconnected power and low battery. Coming from a 2000's technology Xantrex this was eyeopening. My only slight niggle is that the head unit alert tone is way too quiet. I haven't yet discovered if there is a way to increase the volume or connect a supplemental buzzer to it.
                      Alan Teed
                      MOONSHADOW
                      1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
                      Gig Harbor, WA
                      Previously:
                      1994 Bayliner 4788
                      2006 Hylas 49' SY
                      Bayliner 2855
                      1977 Cal 34' SY
                      1981 Hunter 33' SY

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Kevin - we have the BT battery monitor and I love it. Easy to use the phone app wherever you are on the boat to see just how much power .. amp hours .. all of your stuff uses, My wife calls me the power czar I when monitor her usage and we are getting low on reserve.
                        Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
                        Semiahmoo, WA

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X