Cockpit ladder on the 4788, remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cockpit ladder on the 4788, remove?

All, just an observation, but it seems like the ladder on the 4788 has very little purpose and a lot more risk that just using the inside stairs. Is the ladder used much? Anyone just removed it and sealed up the aft flybridge over it?
    Larryo
    Shopping for 4788

ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC124ADC-5466-40F9-BF6C-1A7587F024C5.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	598954 Never considered, nor would do, although I have seen the hatch sealed so the tender can fit crossways!

Not sure whether you’ve since purchased or still looking, but many owners keep their tender on the top deck. Having the ladder is convenient rather than making the long walk thru the pilot house and salon to drop down or access the lasserette. If it’s an issue, cover the opening with a sliding or lift hatch! But I think most owners would rather have access than not!

John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

We use ours once in awhile. Mostly when giving the boat a good wash. We have a sliding hatch that we can stand on. We bungee cord our bikes to it presently. If you are going to remove it, I would make it reversible and be sure keep it for the next owner!
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Ditto on the comments so far..........

In terms of space in the cockpit, there is little to be gained by removing the ladder, and it leaves an unwanted price negotiation point when it comes time to sell the boat, unless it can be reinstalled. The other issue is the big hole on the flybridge which would definitely need covering for safety purposes (with or without ladder IMHO).

I would suggest installing a sliding clear plexiglass hatch which is thick enough to safely stand on occasionally, and has the advantage of weatherproofing the cockpit without losing any natural light. Like lots of other 4788/490 owners, we added a hatch to our 490, and while we only used the ladder occasionally, we would not consider removing it.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

Let the pilothouse-flybridge access door shut by accident and you will wish very quickly for the hatch and ladder.

There is no handle on the outdide of that flush mounted heavy plexiglass door.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Definitely adds more seating area.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryo View Post
              All, just an observation, but it seems like the ladder on the 4788 has very little purpose and a lot more risk that just using the inside stairs. Is the ladder used much? Anyone just removed it and sealed up the aft flybridge over it?
              We never use that ladder. We have just taken the space to store bikes. We have no plans to actually remove the door though.

Comment

We don’t use it a lot but find it handy when we do. We have a sliding plexiglass hatch over it and the portside rail on the boat deck has been removed to make room for the dinghy which rests athwartship. I can just barely squeeze by the dinghy. With the dinghy off we use it a lot especially for launch and retrieval. Other than that we use the stairs to pass beer up to the bar fridge for storage. We open the hatch during docking for better communication. We have a fabric loop in the exterior PH hatch so we can open it if falls shut (assuming it’s not been latched).

The stairs have been used by family members who dive off the FB over and over again, keeps wet dripping kids out of the salon as they make the loop. The stairs do provide FB access for raccoons!

I think in an emergency where your trying to launch and load the dinghy to leave a sinking yacht or a fire The more ways to move about the better.
                Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                  Let the pilothouse-flybridge access door shut by accident and you will wish very quickly for the hatch and ladder.

There is no handle on the outdide of that flush mounted heavy plexiglass door.
                  KEVIN,

That's interesting, but if one were locked out, they have to skinny along the outside to the stern and simple walk thru and up the inside stairs? Would one "need" the ladder? Also, could one modify the door to have a latch on the exterior? Seems strange.....

Gut feeling, I'd like to remove it, have the extra space, but would make it to reinstall if needed. But the extra space both upper and lower would be worth it.

Just not fond of ladders, especially as we and friends age. EASY to fall off, HARD to bring stuff with you (lunch, tools, etc) going up and down ladders. However, the handles are nice.

Seems like a few like it removed.
                  Larryo
                  Shopping for 4788

ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA

Comment

have a 4588 and use all the time when launch and retrieving the tender as well it makes a great drying rack holder for scuba and fishing stuff. We did remove the upper rails so we put a tender port to strb....
                    Mark
                    USCG OUPV
                    1990 4588
                    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Just a quick point on the stairs from the Pilothouse to the flybridge, they aren’t as safe/easy to descend as you may think particularly with some rocking/wash. Coming down, I’ve slipped on my butt a few times. Anti slip tread tape helps, but food is typically handed to someone upstairs or put thru the hatch on the top deck floor, then climb the stairs unencumbered. Anyway, when you buy, you’ll be free to do what you like, but as mentioned previously, make it reversible. When it comes to sell, most would notice its absence and I would suggest a negative point.
                      John H
                      Brisbane QLD Aust
                      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

I frequently use this ladder when launching the tender and docking. Of course I would prefer stairs in that location like on the 5288 and the 5788. But would definitely consider a lack of direct access from the cockpit to the flybridge to be a negative attribute. It's one of the main deficiencies of the Navigator line of pilothouse boats (imho).
                        Evan
                        2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
                        League City, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Larryo View Post

KEVIN,

That's interesting, but if one were locked out, they have to skinny along the outside to the stern and simple walk thru and up the inside stairs? Would one "need" the ladder? Also, could one modify the door to have a latch on the exterior? Seems strange.....

Gut feeling, I'd like to remove it, have the extra space, but would make it to reinstall if needed. But the extra space both upper and lower would be worth it.

Just not fond of ladders, especially as we and friends age. EASY to fall off, HARD to bring stuff with you (lunch, tools, etc) going up and down ladders. However, the handles are nice.

Seems like a few like it removed.
                          Problem is you gotta get off the flying bridge somehow.

Some have I think drilled through the plexiglass door and put a handle on the outside. I am, not that brave. I worry about shattering the door somehow.

KEVIN SANDERS
                          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

We just this summer removed the ladder and filled in the opening. In the three years we have owned the boat we never once used the ladder, and could not envision that changing. We really like how it cleans up the cockpit area. That said, space on the flybridge isn't a material change, as the raised rim makes the area not particularly useful (but a bit better for storing kayaks or paddle boards).

Like every modification we have done, we are careful to make it reversible should we ever choose to sell. As posts here show, people have very different views on this feature of the boat.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	599884
                            GMS
                            2008 Meridian 490
                            2010 ArrowCat Express 30 (sold)

Comment

Our ladder and the access hatch to the flybridge was removed by a previous owner. The flybridge deck has been sealed so that you don't see that there ever was a hatch and it adds a great deal of space that is unhampered.

As for the cockpit, there is a good amount of space percentage wise compared to the general cockpit area to be had. The previous owner had the ladder removed since the hatch was removed and in the corner a cockpit helm installed with a wheel, Mather controls and thruster controls (bow and stern). This is very nice for pulling crab pots, docking and backing into very tight areas. On the other side of the cockpit I just have a set of Mather controls, which in most docking situations is more than enough.

On a rare occasion I would like to have the ladder and hatch, but over the last 10 years I think I thought that maybe 3 times.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Cockpit Helm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	599948
                              Patrick and Patti
                              4588 Pilothouse 1991
                              12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                              M/V "Paloma"
                              MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Working...
                              X