Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

250 Hino blow by or crank case vent tube location.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250 Hino blow by or crank case vent tube location.

Where is the crank case vent on W06Ti Hino's?
    Generally my engines are dry except for starboard front corners and alternators. Valve covers and front seals look dry.
    Had a good look around but didn't see vents. They must have crank case/valve cover vents, but where?
    Rod
    1991 4387
    Sidney, BC

The ventilator case in at the very front top of the engine with an open hose leading rearward to the air cleaner.
    In this picture the ventilator case is at the top with the hose leading down to a homemade puke can just ahead of the air cleaner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	859.2 KB
ID:	597633
    Northport NY

Comment

My 1991 vintage engines do not have venting assembly on front of engines....
      Curious where opening into block is?

Name:	20200816_172416.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	597723
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200806_114147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	597721
      Rod
      1991 4387
      Sidney, BC

Comment

Originally posted by Roddy View Post
        My 1991 vintage engines do not have venting assembly on front of engines....
        Curious where opening into block is?

Name:	20200816_172416.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	597723
        Click image for larger version Name:	20200806_114147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	597721
        Are those WO6D - TI - I (250hp) or W06D -ti-II (310hp) engines?
        Do you have a workshop manual for the engines?
        Northport NY

Comment

They are 250's. Dont have manuals. Surely the vent and piping must be obvious. Maybe my old eyes are deceiving me!
          Rod
          1991 4387
          Sidney, BC

Comment

Marine Parts in Canada has the engine manuals available for download. Go to: https://www.marinepartssupply.com/engines/hino and click on Service Manual. Get the parts book too while you're there. Same price - (free).

On my 1991 Hino 250's the crankcase breather is on the front of the engine, right in front of the intake manifold, hdden under the raw-water hose. There's an engine-hoist padeye on it.
            1991 4588
            SE Michigan

Comment

I am trying to find the crankcase ventilation points from my 150HP Hino W04CT Diesel engines on my 1991 3280 MY. I have sifted through my Hino engine manual and still cannot find any reference or diagram that relates to this. Can someone please tell me exactly where it is? I am looking at 30 years worth of blow-by soot in my engine compartment and would like to make some sort of CCV filters but I can't figure out where the engine is actually venting its crankcase gases. I would think that there's be a vent hose on one the side of the engine but I can't find it. This is really embarrassing.
              1991 3288 Hino 150HP

Comment

Check out your oil filler cap to see if it’s vented.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

• petes3288
                  petes3288 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a good tip and one that never occurred to me. I am doing a very thorough detailing of my entire engine room and while I do not have any leaks I do have a thick, inky black coating on the front of my engines. So I assume that the breather/vent must be in that general area. I will look at the caps on Monday. Thanks!

• Pcpete
                  Pcpete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It may be a nothing but it seems to me that since there’s no port on the valve cover and I can’t find anything obvious to vent the crankcase into the intake, it just about has to be something like that.

W4 and W6 are same engine family venting should be similar. W4's are still in production, fitted with common rail injection. Bet they are sweet engines!
                Rod
                1991 4387
                Sidney, BC

Comment

Originally posted by petes3288 View Post
                  I am trying to find the crankcase ventilation points from my 150HP Hino W04CT Diesel engines on my 1991 3280 MY. I have sifted through my Hino engine manual and still cannot find any reference or diagram that relates to this. Can someone please tell me exactly where it is? I am looking at 30 years worth of blow-by soot in my engine compartment and would like to make some sort of CCV filters but I can't figure out where the engine is actually venting its crankcase gases. I would think that there's be a vent hose on one the side of the engine but I can't find it. This is really embarrassing.
                  In the part books look up WO4CTA / then go to the cooling system diagram/ then look up part #14
                  Here is a link to the parts books.....

https://www.marinepartssupply.com/book/19/678/
                  Northport NY

Comment

• petes3288
                    petes3288 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for this! My parts book showed this image but did not identify this hose as it does in your attached link. Now I have to figure out why my engines do not actually have this hose running down the side. Maybe they are just missing altogether and there is a vent port in there that I did not see. I will check it on monday. Thanks again and sorry for the double post.

• Pcpete
                    Pcpete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No wonder it’s hard to find! Just looking at it, it looks like a coolant overflow hose with no recovery tank.

• smitty477
                    smitty477 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your welcome - I have never owned a 4 cyl Hino and it has been many years since I helped a couple of owners work on them
                    I cannot say I remember this but them again there are many things I do not remember lately.

... and I don't even have the hose! I am going to the boat in the morning with my cool little wifi laporscopic camera to peek around the corner and try to find the "hoseless outlet". If it's really there I'll find it and I'll report back. Thanks for your help.
                  1991 3288 Hino 150HP

Comment

Crankcase vent hose is is forward of injection pump front, behind thermostat housing, below vale cover. Looks like its part of cooling system but its not. If you reach under you can wiggle the hose and see where it begins.
                    Rod
                    1991 4387
                    Sidney, BC

Comment

Roddy: You're right! I did think that it was part of the cooling sytem because there was no obvious exposed end of the hose but I finally found them. Now that I've found them I just need to figure out what to attach them to in order to minimize this wet, inky blow-by. I am still not completely clear on how to rig this up because some owners recommend against having the ouput of the puke can pointing at the air filter. Any thoughts on this?
                      1991 3288 Hino 150HP

Comment

I haven't done anything about crankcase venting either, another winter project.
                        There are 2 parts to solve, separating liquids from blow by gases.
                        At its most simplistic.a bottle to capture liquids and hose to air cleaner.
                        There are commercial products that accomplish this, but are very pricey. google airsep
                        Rod
                        1991 4387
                        Sidney, BC

Comment

• petes3288
                          petes3288 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If we vent the solids (oil) to a can that can later be emptied why couldn't we vent the remaining "air' to the outside rather than pointing it at our air filter or allowing it to continue to blow around our engine room? This seems like the obvious solution but then I know nothing about this particular topic and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Yes.
                        This would accomplish keeping liquid out of bilge.
                        If venting outside it may leave oil film where it vents outside???
                        Think best place is to air cleaner or drill hole in body and put hose nipple if were fussy about getting oil mist air cleaner element.
                        My filters are just foam. Alternatively lots of real-estate on air filter body to put hose nipple.
                        Don't have any drips under blow by hose exit just a light film on absorbent pads after 20 hours or so.
                        Thinking out loud... plastic bottle with 4 inch lid would give lots of room for hose barbs?????
                        Rod
                        1991 4387
                        Sidney, BC

Comment

• petes3288
                          petes3288 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Rod! I'll post pics of my setup when I have it completed in the days to come.
                      Working...
                      X