Davit Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davit Systems

We have a Bayliner 3788 with a covered cockpit. We will be purchasing a new 9'6" tender and 9.9 hp engine, and will need to replace the davit system, which is currently a manual pull/swing up. We have no more room to go out, as we are currently at 42' LOA in a 40' slip, and, of course we need access to the boat from the swim platform. And don't want to remove the engine each time. The only swing up systems I know are the Weaver Leaver and Seawise, but both are about $7K installed, and I am not sure I want to spend $12K on the whole thing, including tender. Does anyone know of other swing up systems that are more reasonable but will both allow access to the swim platform, not extend the tender any further out and allow the engine to remain on the tender? Thanks all.

Bayliner 3788 "Discovery"
    Twin 330 Cummins
    Edmond, WA

That seems to be the going rate. Insane for what it is IMHO but nobody else is playing in that market.

Other option is a crane davit and put the dink on the hardtop.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Thanks, but the hardtop carries our kayaks and is a bit too narrow - not quite 9'....

Comment

I bought a davit system from a guy in BC that fabricated it - it works very much like the weaver system but was much less money. Now they aren't quite as polished as the weaver system, but they are robust, functional and they look just fine.

It was about 2k for all the parts and aside from some issues with installation (which were totally my fault) I've been quite happy with the system. I'm not sure if he is still doing them or not, but I wouldn't hesitate to try him if I was doing it again. His name is Mark Rawlins, email is: [email protected]

He offers the parts either powder coated or stainless, I bought the powder coated, but if I had to do it again, I'd get stainless.
        1998 Bayliner 2858
        7.4L MPI / Bravo III
        Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

Parlaw,
        I have a Seawise hydraulic system on my 38. I wouldn’t trade it for anything! It makes using the dink so easy! No engine removal, no extension hanging out over the swimstep, no added length to the boat, well maybe a few inches. I have a buddy that rarely uses his dink because it’s such a PITA to launch it in and out of the water. Who wants that?
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

This past winter I modified and enhanced a weaver system for my 3788, mostly from used parts. Modified a used eurohelm, parts of a weaver lever, had a winch post fabricated, and added an electric ATV winch on the lazarette side of the swim platform. Easy to raise and lower, and all in for under $4k
          1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now Soul Asset: 2001- 3788 w/330s

Comment

This is my set up
            1988 3818
            EH 700
            Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Sadly you are where you are and to be honest $12K is cheap. I'd go with the seawise or tow the dinghy behind. Costs you 50ft of rope, a bridal and maybe putting some anchors onto your boat...
              Ships n Giggles
              1993 Bayliner 4388
              MMSI# 367412710
              Day Island Yacht Club
              Commodore

Comment

My 3788 has a tilt davit. Because it keeps the inflatable at an angle, it probably does not extend out more than a Seawise.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Achilles Tender.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	597835
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                X