No Hour Meter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Hour Meter??

I'm looking at an 86 3270, with Hino 150's. When I asked how many hours were on the engines, I was told "some smaller Bayliner's were not equipped with hour meters, so we really don't know".

Honestly, I've never seen a boat with IO's or inboards that didn't show its hours. Has anyone heard of a 32xx not having an hour gauge on it????

Also, being an 86, they're stating it has a 150HP Turbo Hino. From my research I thought 86's only offered the 135 hp's. Am I incorrect there?

Thanks for any and all input.

My 1983 3270 came with hour meters.
    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

My 94 3288 did not have hour meters from the factory.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

hour meters are usually an option.... some manufactures and models have hour meters as standard equipment, but normally its an option.

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Hour meters are only good for maintenance intervals. They can easily be swapped out or disconnected so they mean little. Newer electronic engines have all the info in the puter so you cannot really hide things. Many older boats do not have hour meters including my 2855 I had long time ago.
          Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

• LOVERMAN
            LOVERMAN commented
            Editing a comment
            I must have your old 2855, Hans, because mine doesn't have an hour meter either...;-b

Niether our 3288, 3488 or 4588 had them from factory.
          On the engine question, take a pic of the info lable that says the model and tell you what you have. normally on top of the engine value cover
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by browny View Post
            I'm looking at an 86 3270, with Hino 150's. When I asked how many hours were on the engines, I was told "some smaller Bayliner's were not equipped with hour meters, so we really don't know".

Honestly, I've never seen a boat with IO's or inboards that didn't show its hours. Has anyone heard of a 32xx not having an hour gauge on it????

Also, being an 86, they're stating it has a 150HP Turbo Hino. From my research I thought 86's only offered the 135 hp's. Am I incorrect there?

Thanks for any and all input.
            i agree and will never understand myself. Ok maybe in 86 but when I bought my 2005 242 it didn’t have an hour meter. I had to trust the one and only other owner’s guess. It had a blank gauge where it goes. I bought the hour meter and trim gauge (also a blank) in the same bayliner factory make and model and installed. Worst part is the hour meter wiring was all right there. I literally connected wires and had an hour meter. What does that cost at the factory ? $20 for a gauge. I get $20 saved is $20 but come on.
            Dave
            Nanaimo, BC

2005 242
            5.7/Bravo II

Comment

an hour meter tells you nothing more than how long the hour meter has ran.... the engine hours can vary greatly from what the meter may say...

and even if the hour meter is correct as to the engine hours, the hours the engine has ran may have nothing what so ever to do with the condition of the engine.... a 3000 hour engine could run another 3000 hours, and an engine with 200 hours may have been sitting for10 years, and could go at any time.... especially if the manifolds are leaking...

its how the engine was treated and timely and thorough maintenance that counts on any engine. the hour meters really only allow one to monitor the elapsed time between service intervals...if the numbers are recorded.

as for engine health, an oil sample tells much more than an accurate hour meter.

NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
              N2K equipped throughout..
              2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
              2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
              '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
              Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

A 1989 3870 I tried to by didn't have hour meters. I was told on average in this area boats like that see 50 hours annually. If passes mechanical survey and there are good maintenance records I wouldn't be too concerned but would add the meters.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I guess I was naive thinking that all boat came with them, as my previous 3 had them installed on the dash.

I'm waiting on the pics of the engine tags to be sure I know what I'm looking at, as the boat is about 4.5 hours away. We're in the NY so i very much doubt it has a ton of hours on it. out of curiosity has anyone had to replace/rebuild a Hino 150? How much of a kick to the wallet is it? I've researched a lot of cummins but not really a ton on the hino.

We're looking for a boat our young family can hang out on for weekends and short cruises, that will be somewhat efficient to run around Lake Ontario and salmon fish with. We've looked at everything but primarily small fly bridge sport fish/cruisers. Bertram 33 and the TollyCraft 34 have been front runners, but we keep on coming back to 32xx with diesels.

I'd think with the 150 hinos vs. bigger heavier boats with 454's, the cruise speed shouldn't be that far off. If running to a fishing ground whats the average speeds guys with 150 hinos can run at?

Comment

Sometimes it depends on how many owners the boat has had. Our 38 was a one owner boat when we bought if, the records showed average to above average northern boat hours for the first 6-8 years then slowed dramatically to more average hours for a seasonal northern boat put up on the hard for the winter. By the time we bought it, the original owner had it for 24 years but only 1260 hours on it. Each owner tends to use it a fair bit the first few years of ownership then less as years progress. We've doubled the mileage in six seasons because we did the loop. We've got 2500+ hours now and the EH700's are still rock solid. I think the 135 or 150 HP can be differentiated mainly by a water cooled turbo.

James
                    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                    Lowrance Electronics!
                    Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                    Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                    AGLCA #8340
                    MTOA# 7469

Comment

I'm still trying to get a picture of the motor tags, but these engines definitely have, what appear to be, water cooled turbos. They're clean, but I'm thinking these are 135's?

Comment

Working...
                      X