1981 Bayliner 3270 Volvo engine 140 horsepower questions 1981 3270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Bayliner 3270 Volvo engine 140 horsepower questions 1981 3270

Looking to purchase the second owner 3270 with the two 4-cylinder Volvo gas engines 140 horsepower is it normal to have vibration on the engine compartment lids and deck any advice tips or knowledge on this thank you very much for your time engines have 450 hours

The vibration is fairly normal but you'd want it to vary across the operating range. A far bigger concern with 40 year old boats is coring rot. In my opinion - all 32xx Bayliners will have transom and stringer issues -so if this work hasn't been done, knock on on the stringers, bulkheads and transom to find the soft spots. B

Comment

At idle this is very common. Have you done a sea trial ? Does it have a vibration through out the rpm ranges ? If it does, this is not normal. I would be a little concerned with the hours on the engines if this is a true number. 11.5 hours per year as an average very low. If you consider when the boat was new, it probably was used 40 hours per year for the first 10 years. That’s 400 hours. I would approach the motors like they have not been used in 30 years.
      At minimum I’d do a compression test, check the oil pans for rust/rot. Bleed off some coolant from the valve near the oil cooler and check for contamination and rust. I can PM you a list if you like.
      Is this a fresh water boat ?
      1982 3270
      Volvo BB 140 A's
      Killbear Marina, Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
      X