Shopping for 4788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping for 4788

All, newbie here shopping for a 4788, and would like to get ideas on what's good and bad, important things to think about and worthwhile mods.

I'm a previous boat owner (currently have a Mainship 400), so I have some thoughts....

Believe I'll look for a 370 Cummins one. I like new electronics, so if it's old stuff, will plan to replace. Nothing worse than the electronics failing at the wrong time.

Will probably do some cosmetic repairs.... remove carpet (just don't like the stuff in a boat), rework the galley and get rid of the high top. Install new blinds.

Other thoughts.... just getting going. Thanks!

Just picked up mine last year. This site is a great resource for finding and resolving issues. So far the boat has a lot of good and the bad has been minor and resolvable mostly through help and ideas I found here. Of coarse if you are not already subscribed, Seaboard Marine and Boat diesel.com are a couple other sites to use.

Comment

The best advice I can give you is to pour your favorite beverage, get comfy, then go back to post #1 in this Motor yachts forum and skip thru as appropriate until you are current. That’s what I did. It took more than one serving of beverage over many many nights. The payback was Immense. I had 30 or 40 pages For which I either saved the URL, did a screen shot, or printed hard copy. I was not shy about PMing posters. The BOC is a unique resource and you will not get the depth of info that will benefit you from responses to this thread. There is just too much information to summarize into a “Cliffs Notes” thread. Where are you located? Why the choice of 370s? What are your cruising plans? Budget? By doing all the reading beforehand you will be better prepared to post specific questions to which answers will have more value. But that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong....
      Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
      Sammamish WA
      1998 4788 (April 2018)
      ”Knot Home”
      MMSI 368040470

Comment

Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
        The best advice I can give you is to pour your favorite beverage, get comfy, then go back to post #1 in this Motor yachts forum and skip thru as appropriate until you are current. That’s what I did. It took more than one serving of beverage over many many nights. The payback was Immense. I had 30 or 40 pages For which I either saved the URL, did a screen shot, or printed hard copy. I was not shy about PMing posters. The BOC is a unique resource and you will not get the depth of info that will benefit you from responses to this thread. There is just too much information to summarize into a “Cliffs Notes” thread. Where are you located? Why the choice of 370s? What are your cruising plans? Budget? By doing all the reading beforehand you will be better prepared to post specific questions to which answers will have more value. But that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong....
        Agreed with the question "why the 370's".
        Not that there is anything wrong with the 370's at all. Just that I am not sure what exactly they bring to the party so to speak.

"rework the galley and get rid of the high top."
        Our 1995 did not have the high tops - they went to that in layter years.

Asking more questions about anything on these boats will likely get a more robust response.
        Northport NY

Comment

My best shopping advice is to find the best maintained, best equipped boat you can find. Then negotiate your best price for the boat understanding that it might seem higher than other lesser boats in dollar cost.

The cheapest boat on the market is never a bargain.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I second what Kevin said... buy the best maintained boat you can find. It will seem like you’re paying more, which you may, but I will be considerably less than finding a “steel of a deal” that “just needs a little TLC”. I’ve seen several people seeming save $30k or $40k only to have to spend $50 or $60k just to get things back to what they should be...and even then the repaired boat isn’t as nice as the premium boat they could’ve just bought and simply turned the key and enjoyed, The cost of frustration and down time is something you can’t even calculate.

I hope you find a great boat,

~BJ
            BJ
            OMEGA

Comment

LarryO - are you SeeVee on the TF? Smitty, Kevin and I are on both. If yes, mea culpa for my over reacting a bit to Pete’s Dixie Cup post. But being a delivery captain with a single data point and not knowing if the referenced boat was a 45 or a 47 kinda sorta diminishes the value of his 4788 specific feedback. You will get the benefit of many thousands of hours in actual 4788 ownership experience here. I’ve learned that this group is not at all above exposing the boats flaws; we are not just being fanboys. Good luck in your search!
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”
              MMSI 368040470

Comment

I emphatically agree w Kevin. Bargains cost much more!

Comment

I agree big time with buying a well maintained and updated boat for more money than the lesser boat for less. It will save you thousands..
                  Guntar
                  1999 3988
                  Cummins 270s

Comment

It’s almost scary that there is such universal agreement on this point. The voices of experience? Hmmm? 😉
                    Sammamish WA
                    1998 4788 (April 2018)
                    ”Knot Home”
                    MMSI 368040470

Comment

It’s almost scary that there is such universal agreement on this point. The voices of experience? Hmmm? 😉
                      Yep!

I bought a defered maintenance rich 4788 that had high blowby on one engine from Key Bank as a repo in August 2011 for $117,000

Over the next 8 months I re-powered the boat with Cummins Reman engines, new Norhtern Lights generator, caught up all defered maintanance, added a heating system, electronics, and made the boat basically brand new.

This work was done by North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes.

A recap of the individual invoices shows I paid them directly $141,000 plus I spent another approx $30,000 on stuff that I had them install like a watermaker, KVH satcom system, electronics package, heating system, etc...

So...

I had in April of 2012 a total invested of approx $290,000 into my 4788.
                      Plus I bought a used Zodiac YL340 for $6,000.

What I got was honestly a brand new 4788 equipped exactly like I wanted it, with zero hour engines and generator.

You be the judge. Was that a “value” or would I have been better off buying the best 4788 for sale on the market at the time for lets say $250,000.

Take it another step. If I sold my 4788 today what would it be worth? My engines have a thousand hours on them, as well as the generator. I have continued to make improvements to the boat, and it is in as near as perfect condition as all the loving labor and a open checkbook style maintenance approach can make it. If it needs doing on my boat it frankly gets done. If there is a modification to add to the reliability of the boat it’s probably been done or I just have not thought about it yet.

What would I get for my boat in comparison to other 4788’s? Maybe $25,000 more at the most???

Now take several of the other 4788’s that I see owners here on the BOC post about. I think of all the really expensive modifications they have done, and all the care and dollars they put into keeping everything in tip top condition.

How much more would they get for their boats than the one that sits at the dock and gets minimal attention?

The “value” is in the literally thousands of free labor hours we, caring owners put into our boats, vs the guy that buys a boat, does not enjoy or have time for much maintenance, and then sells the boat 5 years later.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

To your point Kevin - and it sounds egotistical/conceited - I want to buy my next boat from me! 😉
                        Sammamish WA
                        1998 4788 (April 2018)
                        ”Knot Home”
                        MMSI 368040470

Comment

To your point Kevin - and it sounds egotistical/conceited - I want to buy my next boat from me! 😉
                          Nope, not egotistical at all .

You know how your boat is maintained, and like many BOC members you are the kind of person one dreams of buying a boat from.

Thats why when a active BOC member puts their boat up for sale, folks that are considering a boat need to look very closely at that boat and carefully consider the value added.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

The other thing many boat buyers neglect to factor in when going for the bargain boat with intentions to improve it is the not just the $$ but the time it takes to get everything done -- not just your time ( if doing yourself), but the lost use of the boat when getting the work done. We have seen more than a few boaters miss the greater part of their boating season. The one good part of doing upgrade/refits yourself is you wont have to reverse engineer what others have done in the past. If you expect to buy the boat and use it a lot right away get one that has been maintained well and has most of what you want. And remember its a boat .. something will break anyway .. and ruin one of your trips :-)

Jim
                            Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
                            Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

Larryo- Just posted my 4788 for sale, take a look here: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...e-seattle-area
                              2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
                              370HP Cummins
                              Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
                              Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Working...
                              X