Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New house bank coming, what's your capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got everything replaced last weekend. Had a friend that does dock work also come over and help me replace the old bank. I reconfigured the layout so that the batteries were easier to access for filling once a year. I also made up all brand new interconnecting battery cables and got rid of the huge loops in the cables which made it difficult to access the oil filter and senders on the Stbd engine. Sure looks a lot cleaner in there now.
    Will try and post some pics if I get a chance. Took some of the original setup. Need to finish the tie downs and will take some of the new setup.

Oh, I ended up replacing the 6 Golf Cart (6VDC) batteries with the same quantity from Costco. The new orientation allows for two more batteries to be added if I or the next owner should desire down the road.

All counted, this project cost me right at about $800. Plus I gave my buddy another $100 for the 3-4 hours that we worked on it. Sure was glad that he was here to help. Made snaking the batteries out and back in much easier. Plus when we took them back up to the truck to get my Core Charge back, it took both of us to get that cart up the ramp. Thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time we got to the top of the ramp (Low Tide).

Batteries $600 (6 @ $98.99 Ea)
    Battery Interconnect Cables $75 (Made up my own a the local marine shop. They have all the tools for you to use and just charge you for the materials)
    Battery Terminal Covers $65 (These really provided a nice clean installation that meets requirements)
    Plus Sales Tax (What can I say, everyone has their hand out)
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
      Papa_Charlie commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are having to fill the batteries that often, I would check your charging system.

• rbcooper
      rbcooper commented
      Editing a comment
      Papa,

I'm sorry, ALL FLA batteries use water in their charge discharge cycle. My charger is working as designed. I do not use excessive amounts of water but if I did I might be concerned. The purpose of my post was to subtlety suggest that your regimen of battery maintenance might include more frequent monitoring. As suggested there is a chance (particularly with an new install) that one of the 18 battery cells might have an issue. Monitoring uneven water useage in the cells will indicate this. After 30 or so cycles of the battery you can return to whatever schedule you find works for you. I myself continue to CHECK the water level in the battery cells just to be aware of any emergent issues. AND to do yearly load tests to determine REAL battery capacity (I adjust my Victron battery monitor accordingly),

As so many state YMMV,

Regards,

RB Cooper

• Papa_Charlie
      Papa_Charlie commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand the process and the consumption of battery fluid is consistent with the charging process. I have just found that my fluid consumption to be far less than what you have indicated. I actually check my batteries quarterly and find that I go up to half the year without the need to add any distilled water.

I'm the pauper in this thread. I've got 740 amp hours of batteries.
    I don't have much in the way of electrical needs. Hasn't been an
    issue, though.
    1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
    7.4 Mercruiser
    Still learning about other systems
    and specs.

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
      Papa_Charlie commented
      Editing a comment
      Well you got me beat. I put in (6) 6V GC Batteries, each rated at 210 Amps @ 20 hrs. That means I have 630 Amps @ 20 hrs.
      That has worked for us very well. When we have been out on anchor. We are careful not to use excessive items and most of our lights have been changed to LEDs. If we have a heavy load, we start up the generator.

for what it is worth, we 6 Trojan T145, but what makes me jump in here is to share the Battery Watering Systems, they cheap, and make it very easy to top off water and give a visual on when they need water
    here is link to what they look like
    https://watermybattery.com/?variant=32551283130473
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• Knothome4788
      Knothome4788 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will second the Battery Watering Technologies system (a specific brand). Makes an onerous task almost fun.

Originally posted by Papa_Charlie View Post

Batteries $600 (6 @ $98.99 Ea)
    Battery Interconnect Cables $75 (Made up my own a the local marine shop. They have all the tools for you to use and just charge you for the materials)
    Battery Terminal Covers $65 (These really provided a nice clean installation that meets requirements)
    Plus Sales Tax (What can I say, everyone has their hand out)
    That's a nice price Pat. I have to replace my 8 GC's and two group 31's soon so I'll definitely check Costco. I always used to get Dynos but don't have the discount anymore. Anyway - glad you got it all set up!

-.b

Comment

Working...
    X