Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New house bank coming, what's your capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New house bank coming, what's your capacity?

Yesterday we had a fire in the marina, thankfully not a boat fire, but the new apartments that were under construction at the waters edge in the marina went up (One out of two buildings). As a result, the power went out and we had to use our house batteries, which we haven't used in some time. These batteries are 10 years old. They ran down to about 11.9 volts in about 1-1.5 hours with a small load, but would build back up with the generator and charger in about 45 minutes. When they were new, I had 630 amps @ 20hrs. Can honestly say that we got our money out of them. I knew it was time, I had been putting it off, but no longer.

So tomorrow, I am heading to buy new 6VDC Golf Cart Batteries. I am contemplating repositioning them to make servicing them easier. This opens the possibility of adding a couple more batteries to the bank.

So my question. How many amps @ 20 hours do many of you have in your house bank?
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

We have 840 amp hours of FLA batteries of a L16 type to save square footage of space.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

We have 840 amp hours of FLA in four pairs of Costco Interstate 6v golf cart batteries. We use a Battery Watering Technologies watering system to keep them topped off.
      Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
      Sammamish WA
      1998 4788 (April 2018)
      ”Knot Home”
      MMSI 368040470

Comment

• Amx1kjw
        Amx1kjw commented
        Editing a comment
        We are using the same thing but checking batts monthly manually.

Our house bank is. 1125 amp hr. ROLLS SURRETTE ...However would not recommend them as Boat Electric has gone out of business,so if a cell goes bad(6 per battery) now must be ordered from the manufacturer in Nova Scotia.....when the time comes I'll look into L16s with auto fill ( just need to find space).
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

That was a hell of a fire, Pat. You can spend 86 bucks per at Costco and get 5 solid years. If you don't use them (sounds like you don't) you might get 10 more years. snicker.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
          Papa_Charlie commented
          Editing a comment
          Tally,
          That fire was unnerving as to how fast it took off. We have had 3 other fires over the 10 years we have lived here in the marina. All spread so fast it was hard to fathom. This one was serious enough that most of us on our dock, which is largely live aboards had taken the extra lines off the boat just in case we had to get out of here.
          As for the "Snicker", sadly they are pulled on for operating systems on the boat only these days. We rarely go out any more. Seems the longer we live on board the less we use her. The Admiral is on board 24/7 and her idea of getting away is not going somewhere on the boat. I have been on board working from home 24/7 since March 9th. I understand what she feels. The boat seems to shrink on you. Looking back, I wish we had left the boat a recreational vehicle instead of full time. We would be using it a lot more if we had. Funny how things can change when it is full time.
          We have less than two years before we retire. The boat will be going up for sale maybe next year in the final preparation for that day. I will miss it, but it isn't in the plan for our next step in life.

we have 900 A/h they're lifeline 6ct 6volt agm they are taller then a gc and shorter then a l16. if you add a solar panel the sp and all associated equipment including the batteries are eligible for 26% tax credit.

Comment

We have 6- 6 volt AGM L16 batteries located outboard of the starboard engine, 1170 amp hours.
          David
          Sidney, B.C.
          MV Cassiopeia V
          1990 4588
          twin 250 hp Hinos
          9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
          Call Sign: CFDF
          MMSI: 316014351

Comment

• Knothome4788
            Knothome4788 commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys are locked and loaded for sure!

• brad4550
            brad4550 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi David
            How in the heck do you check/fill those L16s and are they in a box?? Any pics.....Thanks...Brad

• Knothome4788
            Knothome4788 commented
            Editing a comment
            His L16s are AGM - sealed, and therefore needing no filling.

1200Ah of pure LiFePO4 power baby
          Ships n Giggles
          1993 Bayliner 4388
          MMSI# 367412710
          Day Island Yacht Club
          Commodore

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
            Shipsngiggles commented
            Editing a comment
            @Kwood... honestly, nothing right now. The batteries I have are custom made, only 2 units and they have an internal BMS that manages the load between the cells... I've been taking my sweet time to figure out which BMS to use because I have not incorporated engine charging from my alternators yet. The engines have original 80Amp internally regulated alternators and I really want to make a fully integrated solution that will allow me to charge both the Lithium house bank and the engine start battery together. So right now I am charging the house bank with either shore power or generator and I am monitoring the charge state through my Magnum Inverter/Charger. Hoping to find a complete solution soon. I am thinking Balmar 200Amp alternators with a couple of Wakespeed WS500 external regulators and a DC/DC battery charger for the starter battery from the lithium bank. But that's about a $3K upgrade and I've blown through my budget already this year. So it might be a fall upgrade or before next cruising season.

• Papa_Charlie
            Papa_Charlie commented
            Editing a comment
            My stbd engine is equipped with a 185 amp alternator. It takes very little time to recharge the house bank when I run the mains.

• Shipsngiggles
            Shipsngiggles commented
            Editing a comment
            @Papa_Charlie... yeah, that will about do it. I will need both engines running about that much power though to be able to recharge in a reasonable amount of time if I deplete the batteries too much. When you think about it... 1200AH, I'd have to run for a few hours to get back to full.

Thanks very much for the input guys.
          The current batteries on board are Interstate 6V Golf Cart batteries. They are given very good service not always drawn on so little as over the past 4-5 years. I plan to replace them with the ones from Costco. They are going for $98 here in my area unless they are on sale. I plan to rearrange the configuration and put new interconnecting wiring in to update the system and make it easier to access for servicing.
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Three photos from our set up. I made up all the new interconnect cables to replace all the welders cable that had been used by PO. I don’t need to mess around with funnels and flashlights. Checking and topping off takes 5-10 minutes from opening to closing the lazarette hatch. Wish I had moved the bank to the stbd side (long back story).
            Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
            Sammamish WA
            1998 4788 (April 2018)
            ”Knot Home”
            MMSI 368040470

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
              Papa_Charlie commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice setup. Wish I had the room that you do. I would love to put the batteries in boxes but they fit so tight in the compartment now, there is no room.

• Knothome4788
              Knothome4788 commented
              Editing a comment
              These barely fit and the tops are snug against each other to say the least. I just now noticed I have one plastic “point” on one of the boxes that I need to shave down... snug fitting tops are, however, a good thing. I got lucky.

Brad, as noted the batteries are sealed units, they are not in boxes, tried but not enough height, they are secured though. Next time down I’ll see about a photo, but as you know it’s tight!
            cheers
            ps Ships n Giggles that lithium set up sounds pretty sweet
            David
            Sidney, B.C.
            MV Cassiopeia V
            1990 4588
            twin 250 hp Hinos
            9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
            Call Sign: CFDF
            MMSI: 316014351

Comment

Just installed 840Ah of L16 today and helped 3 others do the same thing.
              1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
              1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Picked up the batteries and terminal covers today. I still need to make up new interconnect cables for the new configuration. Will be a lot easier to maintenance the batteries and give me more clearance between the starboard engine and the batteries. Will make them up this week and install next weekend.
                Patrick and Patti
                4588 Pilothouse 1991
                12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                M/V "Paloma"
                MMSI # 338142921

Comment

I just skipped past all of the responses so I apologize if someone else mentioned this. You might check to see if your charger has an equalize function. Age isn't so much what.does the batteries in, it is discharge cycles. If the batteries haven't been used much and just kept on a charger they may benefit from equalization.
                  Tony Bacon,
                  Washougal, WA
                  Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                  1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
                    Papa_Charlie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use a Magnum Inverter/Charger, it is one thing that I truly credit the life of my batteries to. It runs the batteries through, if I remember correctly, four different cycles in the charging process.
                    Because we only have 30 amp service and live on board, I have the charge rate set to only 20 amps but it is capable of up to 100 amp charge rate. That is the other reason I believe that my batteries have lasted so long.

I have 3 8Ds. 2 starting & 1 house bank in addition to 4 6v Inverter dedicated in the house bank. Replaced 2-2019. The previous were 8 yrs old and marginally functional. They are all hooked to a watering system. Additionally there is a 24G for the genset.
                  I replaced everything so I had a known starting point. Interestingly, the watering system for the two 8D start batteries popped a float valve which resulted in a flooded battery box in early 2020. One survived but one did not corroding the positive post to a nub. Fortunately it was the rear starboard so it slide out easier under the exhaust hose.
                  1990 4588 Channel Isl Marina
                  Port Hueneme, Ca

Comment

Working...
                  X