Charging problem on 2x 220 hinos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem on 2x 220 hinos

I got the 34 trophy convertible from 1989 with 2xhino 220 hp turbo aftercooled. For some reason the batteries are not getting charged unless I turn on the crossover. I had a brief check by an electrician and both altenators are turnig out 14v but it does not reach the batteries for some reason! I have had the boat since new and there are no ”own” installations on it. Is there a relay or something on the way that should distribute the charging power, that could be the fault? By default the port engine should charge the engine battery and sb tge house battery. Any comment is highly appreciated. Thanks

Not familiar with your set up, but on my 4087, there was a battery isolator which the diode failed and wouldn't pass current thru. I replaced the isolator with a yandina combiner and have not had any issue since.

Comment

Which bank is not charging? House or start? There is an interceptor switch on the oil system of the EH700’s that closes when oil pressure is available to provide 12 volts to the alternator exciter. You can jumper the pressure switch to verify. You should see the voltmeters rise to over 13 volts.

James
      1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
      Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
      Lowrance Electronics!
      Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
      Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
      AGLCA #8340
      MTOA# 7469

Comment

Thanks SD and MC for your quick responses! It is the sb battery (starter) that does not charge, but on crossover engaged both are charging. What is a ”yandina combiner”? And where can I find one of those or the inceptor switch on the engine ( if it is the reason, are there switches available or does it require bigger service/part changes)?

Comment

I have the factory service manual and enclose a picture of the electrical diagram. What part are we talking about?

Comment

• Kwood
            Kwood commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! Thanks.

I put two combiners in my system, between the house batteries and the port and starboard starting battery. That way if any was charging, thy all charged. The advantage of a combiner is if a battery is discharging, the combiner disconnects so not to draw the others down. https://www.yandina.com/combInfo.htm

Comment

Starboard alternator is usually split for house and stb start battery. The splitter located on inside of cockpit bulkhead stb side - up high.

I also replaced that with Yandina combiners. 100amp models are around $70 and foolproof.
            Irony
            1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
            Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Originally posted by Kwood View Post
              Starboard alternator is usually split for house and stb start battery. The splitter located on inside of cockpit bulkhead stb side - up high.

I also replaced that with Yandina combiners. 100amp models are around $70 and foolproof.
              You installed 2 pcs? Is the present Splitter behind the main switchboard or how shall I find it? Btw, I am located in Finland and not sure if I can get the Yadina over here. Any options? Thanks for helping.

Comment

• Kwood
                Kwood commented
                Editing a comment
                I removed that device and wired the alternator directly to the house battery side of the MBS [so even if the switch is off the alt will see the battery]. Then I used one Yandina combiner from that same post to the #2 main switch [which for me is stb engine battery. the device itself is located in a cabinet next to the main switches so I can see the LED to know it is working.

On the 4588 - In the port lazarette. Open the cockpit hatch and it's on the engine room side of the bulkhead up high. From the Salon port engine hatch if you stick your head down between the engine and battery box looking to stern you can see and reach it.

This is the one I have https://www.yandina.com/c100Info.htm $70

Great, thanks for the info and help!

Comment

Will get it checked in a few weeks and meanwhile I will work with the crossower switch.

Comment

Working...
                X