Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Electronics/Depth Finder Assistance

Hey all,

I just closed on my 1990 3288, and I am starting to look at installing some new electronics. Not looking to go crazy, but I think everything onboard is factory, and the LCD display on the depth finder is almost unreadable... I was thinking about putting in a chartplotter/depthfinder unit and wanted to ask about the transducer. I am pretty sure that nothing modern will work with the installed transducer (see pic below), all of the connectors that I have seen on modern systems are like a 5 pin round connector. I have the boat pulled from the water to get some work done, so do I have the shop install a new transducer for me? Also was looking at hull mount transducers, any drawbacks to using one of those on a 32xx? What about an in-hull model?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-20_11-05-03_830.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	589148

Just looking to get some ideas on how best to move forward. Thanks!!
    Jess Ferguson
    1990 3288 "Sea Corgi"

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. Electronics have undergone some incredible changes in the last ten years or so. At the really technical level there are systems that will call you if the bilge pump turns on, provide engine room temperature and your ability to turn on heaters, basically, if you can imagine it, there are electronics to provide it. I’m not bashing the super techs, I’m just describing the depth of offerings.
    At the simple end, there are stand along units for depth, gps, radar, etc. However, there are fairly simple systems that are more middle of the road and don’t require a lot of cable running. Last year, at the start of our vacation the 1988 radar died and I was faced with making some decisions about my outdated electronics. I found that I could get a new radar, just the scanner, but needed a display. Crap. Okay, disclaimer time. I’ve had Garmin systems for years and decided to stay with that brand. I bought a Garmin 942 9” display that, for me is primarily for the radar. It will overlay the gps maps making the returns of land features easier to understand. The downside is the radar won’t zoom in as much as the gps, so I’ve still got a stand alone at each helm. I’m adding a transducer that will shoot through the hull that will also read on the multi function display. I’ll be able to look at any or all on that screen. But, there’s a really cool thing. The display sets up a limited WiFi so I can see and control the display from my iPhone or iPad. No need for repeaters on the command bridge.
    As to transducer mounting, it depends on how much detail you want. If you are looking for side scanning high detail readings, or just plain high definition, the hull mounted through to the outside is the way to go. If you are looking for pretty good definition and don’t care about water temperature or side scan, mounting the transducer inside the hull works well. The 32, I believe, is a solid glass layup like my 3818, so anyplace that’s in stable water as the boat is moving will work. It’s a matter of making sure the transducer is one that works with whatever display you are going to get.
    Please add some information to your profile about where you live, your boat and where you use your boat. We might be neighbors.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Hi Pete! We are practically neighbors, I am up in Bellingham, WA! Thanks for the info on the transducer; I am in the same market, I am looking at the GPS (been looking at the SimRad) with the remote wifi display I can put on my tablet. I am not really super concerned with high def and the 3d stuff from the transducer perspective, really just trying to make sure I know how much water is between me and the bottom of my hull, lol.

Jess Ferguson
      1990 3288 "Sea Corgi"

Comment

Transom mount gets growth on it. Inside the hull will work very well (I have seen over 1000' with an inside mounting). If you go inside the hull you can locate it beside the factory one forward of an engine or an easier cable run to the cave aft of the hot water tank. If you attach in a puddle of silicone, the silicone will break down eventually and you will lose signal. Better but permanent is epoxy.
        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I will mention again that inside the hull will not work or will work very poorly in a cored hull. I have no idea if the 3288 was cored. Additionally, though I have no direct experience, transom Mount transducers apparently don’t work well with inboard powered boats. If the 3288 is solid glass below the waterline that seems to be the better alternative (no growth on the transducer, etc.).
          Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
          Sammamish WA
          1998 4788 (April 2018)
          ”Knot Home”
          MMSI 368040470

Comment

Thanks all, I was looking at the bottom of the boat, this was the only thing I saw on the hull, and that did not strike me as looking like a transducer (I am open to being totally wrong, if I am right what is that??). Looking at the factory docs for that model, it appears that it came with an in hull transducer...

https://879dd651a809fc1b59de-035169d...als/hdr200.pdf

Click image for larger version  Name:	dVOcvG-8RwuZr4sn9vAIqQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.6 KB ID:	589225
            Jess Ferguson
            1990 3288 "Sea Corgi"

Comment

• jim.sumi
              jim.sumi commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks like a transducer to me. BTW- I went for a 1 kW CHIRP, and in retrospect wouldn't go that big again. Transducer is way too big and fairing for it is a foam-filled plastic shell- too fragile

Transducer with paddle wheel for “speed through water” vs “speed over ground” (from GPS). I get addicted to monitoring the difference since SOG is what really matters.
            Sammamish WA
            1998 4788 (April 2018)
            ”Knot Home”
            MMSI 368040470

Comment

Yes the factory transducer was a shoot through the hull. You can always test locations by putting the transducer in a plastic bag filled with water. Cored doesn't apply here.

Comment

Awesome thanks Knothome4788!! One last question, are these transducers typically interchangeable, or are they pretty proprietary to the system that is installed? I imagine the connectors are proprietary, could those be changed by rewiring or adapters, or am I just best off replacing the whole thing....
                Jess Ferguson
                1990 3288 "Sea Corgi"

Comment

Airmar makes a lot of the transducers used by many manufacturers.
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”
                  MMSI 368040470

Comment

Many are not interchangeable even within the same brand and year and even with a cord adapter. Replace it.

Comment

On my 3288 I attached a side scan transducer for my Humminbird fish finder on a bracket bolted to my trim tab (away from the prop wash). It seems to work well.

Comment

• Knothome4788
                        Knothome4788 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very creative! How did you route the power/signal cable?

i just put in a hawkeye with an in-hull transducer. i like the newer versions of the inhull as they are much better than the older ones and out of the way of bottoms and floating junk. i think the transom mounts are not recommended for twin screws because of the turbulence.

Comment

I installed a Hummingbird Helix 7 fish finder in my 3870 about a year ago. It works great for me and I think the price point was just right. It came with Navionics included, though I must admit I fire up an iPad for long trips because I find it easier to follow a route on an iPad. A lot of the fancy 3D imaging features you see on youtube simply do not work in deep saltwater so make sure you really know what an expensive unit will actually do before you shell out big. I simply dropped my transducer into the puddle of bilge water that is ever present down the spine of my engine room and it works great. I suppose I should secure it but my to-do list is very long so if something just works it gets dropped to the bottom of the list. Been very happy with the Hummingbord so far as an integrated depth sounder, simple chart plotter, and speedometer.

Comment

Working...
                        X