Shore tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shore tie

I am a total newbie for shore ties. What do you use to get to shore? Do you launch the dinghy? I can do that easy enough but then I picture the really nice dinghy banging up against the rocks while I get the shoreline rigged.
    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
    MV Kia Orana
    Currently Enjoying the PNW

We always used a small spare anchor. Sometimes we brought it to land, sometimes we left it in the shallow water close to shore.
    Simo
    2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
    Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

Yep - Dink to shore run up the beach through the ring (or around tree to some peoples chagrin) back to the dink and back to the mothership.

Helps if person on the boat can help keep the boat in position while you do it, but also why most recommend a really long beach line so even if boat is drifting off you can make it back and then pull things in.

And yes sometimes it is like going to a large public boat launch with a lounge chair just to watch for entertainment once you are secured.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Purchase an ANCHOR BUDDY for your dink and a pair of water walkers.

The ANCHOR BUDDY is a mushroom acnhor on a long bungee cord. Get ino a foot of water and through the anchor over. Then jump over, stern tie, then pull the dink in and jump in. We have had our for years and our bottom is like new.

Comment

• Woodsea
          Woodsea commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I made up an anchor buddy type system 4-5 years ago out of 75’ of bungee cord I got from HD. I use it from time to time when we go to shore for longer periods so we don’t get stranded by receding tide. I’ve also got my over the ankle dive boots which are perfect for clambering around in shallows. Didn’t even think of using it for a short term shore tie excursion. Duh!!! Thanks!

I’m sure our first few shore ties will be quite the spectacle! I hope there are lots of folks around to enjoy the show!
        MV Kia Orana

Comment

• higgins_jr
          higgins_jr commented
          Editing a comment
          Have Kim standing by with a camera Steve! Should be a great Kodak moment. Leave your phone on the boat (in case you fall in) 😂😂😂😂

normally goes fine unless there is a wind. If that happens, these larger boats can move waaay more than you'd like. Good Luck. (I'll need it as well)
        toni
        Toni

Yelm, Washington
        1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

• jim.sumi
          jim.sumi commented
          Editing a comment
          Even in a wind, should be able to set, back up, and have someone on the bridge using only reverse in idle, one shifter at a time to hold in place. If they're nervous, arm signals for port or stbd reverse are useful. Take your time and yelling is never necessary- you can both enjoy the process

It's really handy to have a set of Ear-Tecs to communicate to the person remaining on board, By doing so, you can calmly direct them on either positioning or repositioning the boat while you are on shore with the stern line.

I totally understand why you wouldn't wish to damage the bottom of your dinghy, but unless two people go ashore with the stern line, that's one of the risks that you take. The anchor buddy system works well, but its very unlikely you'll have the time to set it up during a stern tie exercise, unless you are doing a single line tie, and not returning the line to the boat.

When stern tying, the speed of the wind on the side of the boat has a direct correlation to the number of spectators you have watching that day.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

I've done it many times while bringing the line back to the boat. I don't understand what you getting at. Drop the Anchor Buddy, go ashore with your stern line, wrap it around a tree, get back in the dink, pull up the Buddy and head back to the big boat.

We have the Ear Tech headsets to but I don't use to stern tie. My wife knows how to keep the boat lined up with the shore.

Comment

Steve, when I had my 38 in the PNW the first time I stern tied I was all screwed up. The wind kept blowing the boat all over and near other boats. I was definitely the nube rube on the block! Once the anchor was set, the time it took to launch the dink was when had its fun. I adjusted by stopping outside of subsequent stern tie anchorages, launching the dink, then towing it into the anchorage. My stern tie rope was on a reel so I could grab it and head ashore, the line peeling off the reel as I went. At the time I had a hard, fiberglass dink thus I was always looking for a soft landing spot. I learned quick why most folks have inflatables!
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]
            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
              ... I adjusted by stopping outside of subsequent stern tie anchorages, launching the dink, then towing it into the anchorage. My stern tie rope was on a reel so I could grab it and head ashore, the line peeling off the reel as I went. At the time I had a hard, fiberglass dink thus I was always looking for a soft landing spot. I learned quick why most folks have inflatables!
              We don't launch the dinghy before getting to an anchorage, but ours is very easy to launch. We do set up the reel and make sure it's ready to use. After anchoring, my wife keeps the stern pointed toward shore while I launch the dinghy and take the line there and back.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

my 2 cents....
                last year was the first time for us Stern tying in Desolation Sound BC. The first couple of times were a nightmare, then we got the hang of it, here would be my tips. And i think the OP was tying to shore on a beach maybe- this is all more in relation to stern tying to a metal ring or around a tree on a rocky face which was most often my case in Desolation and The Broughtons, same principles apply i guess
                • when you drop the hook, let out more scope than you need, the boat will want to drift forward back towards the anchor if you don't you can go reduce scope when your stern line is set and keep her nice and tight in place
                • make sure you are far enough out from the shore, the first couple of times when i dropped and got everything set i found myself closer to shore than i wanted to be, especially when setting on a high tide, remember when it drops you are getting more slack and can get closer to shore
                • for sure have someone on the boat that can keep the boat inline with the shore you are heading to tie to. +1 to Rob on eartecs, just so much easier to be able to communicate as and when needed. and note wind and current before you leave to give advice to whoever is holding the boat position.
                • if its a rock face you are tying to. judge the height of the ring or tree you are tying to well. first couple of times I 'eye'd' the place to tie from my flybridge and when i got to shore, man was the point to tie to higher than i thought. it can be a scramble that is tricky on rocks or in brush
                • related to point above- wear shoes. the first time i was barefoot- stupid mistake when you are scrambling up rocks and rough ground
                • you need to secure the tender to shore, i never used an anchor buddy, seems like that takes way more time, but have your bow line handy with enough line to climb to your destination if you are not able to tie it off
                • have the stern line on a reel on the aft of your boat- trying to let out the line without a reel is a real nightmare- been there
                • have a lot of line- if you are going to the tie point and back to the boat before you tighten up things you will need more line than you think, we have 400ft and sometimes due to the tying point that was not enough.
                • putting through a loop or around a tree and back to the boat is so much better than a single line tied off. it allows you to retrieve without leaving the boat- just pull it back. and you can tie to either side of the stern and keep the boat nice and centered
                • if you are tying to a tree, make sure it's a clean clear loop around without obstruction, with rough bark it can be harder to pull that line back when you are back in the dink than you think. and if it's snagged on another branch or slightly twisted, you'll be back to the shore to reset the damn thing
                • once back to the boat. Go pull your anchor scope back in a little for that extra you let out, then return to the stern and tighten things up. you can have some slack but when it gets windy you want it to be a little less slack or you'll be drifting more than you want.
                • Finally., make sure you still have enough scope on the anchor to keep you set.
                • last safety measure to me. mark position on plotter- set an alarm.

sounds like a lot, but for sure it's harder than you think the first time, especially with wind in play. but i think the tips above should help out, based on what i know i got wrong.
                BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Thanks to everyone for ideas! We do have head sets. Got them last year and love them. I have a hose reel and line that came with the boat. I need to find out how much like there is. If not at least 400’ I’ll buy a spool of 600’ 1/2” polypropylene. Maybe a lighter line would suffice?
                  MV Kia Orana

Comment

Working...
                  X