Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specifications on 1999 4788

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Specifications on 1999 4788

    I see in the published 1997 specs that the 4788 is ~30,000 lbs, ours was put in the water today and I asked for a weight, 24k on aft sling, 16k on bow sling. This is with half gas, no water, no sewer water, no food, standard batteries, etc.
    That seems a little out of line, i.e. 30% high. I figure with it all sussed out for cruising we're probably going to add 5-6k.
    Additionally we measured with straight edge from top of radar arm to ground and from ground to mid-ship waterline, 250" and 50" respectively. This makes total height 16'8", 1997 specs state bridge clearance to be 18'2" to the top of the arch only?? Are they adding a safety factor?
    I also got 3'10" from mid-ship waterline to bottom tip of propellers, a slight bit more than the spec.
    Has anyone else made these measurements and are they similar to mine?
    Up until now we thought we wouldn't be able to do the western Erie Canal or Lake Champlain, but we might just be able to get down to less than 15'5" by removing radar/TV domes and mounts.
    Thoughts?
    Graeme Walker
    1999 Bayliner 4788, a-ma-yi
    Lake Simcoe, Ontario

    #2
    Graeme,

    I did both the Champlain Canal and the Western Erie in my 1999 4788 ( I sold it last summer). I only removed the Sat TV dome and made it through the fixed bridge at Mechanicville, NY in 2015. It was toward the end of the summer when the water is typically lower. I also did the Western Erie after removing everything from the arch (note the radar and sat TV never worked when I bought the boat) and got to a little more than 15 feet. I waited until early August when the water was lower in 2017. Note I adjusted a boat hooked and placed it on the bow to slowly approach the fixed bridges to check before proceeding. Loved the Trent Severn and Orillia when we went to Georgian Bay the summer of 2016.

    Craig

    Comment


      #3
      Re weight. I too was surprised when the sling weight at survey was over 40,000 with ¾ fuel and ½ water.
      Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
      Sammamish WA
      1998 4788 (April 2018)
      ”Knot Home”
      MMSI 368040470

      Comment


        #4
        Height - here are some fairly accurate dimensions from our 1995 4788:

        Bayliner 4788 clearance

        7/19/2013
        ½ fuel , ½ water , no dinghies , full stores
        • 4’3” waterline to walk around amidship
        • 6’3” walk around to flybridge side top amidship
        • 4’4” fly top to arch top
        • 1’5” arch top to radar top
        • 2’2” arch top to light top
        Calculated clearance heights
        • 17’ to top of light
        • 16’2” to top of radar
        • 14’10” to top of arch
        • 12’6” (approx) to top w/arch down
        Draft
        • 3’ 3” to tip of props
        Calculated heights total
        • 19’ 5” to top of radar
        • 18’ 3” to top of arch

        Weight - the 4788 specs generally call out a dry boat with no options and with gas engines. You will likely find that a dry 4788 with diesels and a genset will be about #32,000.
        When adding in fluids it does not take too much before you add another #1,000 even with low tankage (coolant, WH, lines, lube, etc). Adding batteries and ground tackle typically adds another #1,000 easily for a base weight of around #34,000 before adding any usable volumes of fuel, water, stores, spares, tools , dinghies, etc


        ​​​​​​

        "I see in the published 1997 specs that the 4788 is ~30,000 lbs, ours was put in the water today and I asked for a weight, 24k on aft sling, 16k on bow sling. This is with half gas, no water, no sewer water, no food, standard batteries, etc."
        In our experience lifting scales are notoriously inaccurate.

        "Additionally we measured with straight edge from top of radar arm to ground and from ground to mid-ship waterline, 250" and 50" respectively. This makes total height 16'8", 1997 specs state bridge clearance to be 18'2" to the top of the arch only?? Are they adding a safety factor?
        I also got 3'10" from mid-ship waterline to bottom tip of propellers, a slight bit more than the spec."
        We also got some real quirky measurements when trying to measure the boats height out of water. Unless you carefully use a water level or laser level you will likely get a bunch or erroneous readings vs actual water level heights and drafts like we did.
        If in doubt measure again with the boat in the water - our boat went to Chicago from Long Island sound so the measurements were both important and reasonably accurate.
        Northport NY

        Comment


        • gwexco
          gwexco commented
          Editing a comment
          So we are comparable within a few inches, feeling much better. You're 16'2" versus my 16'8" bridge clearance, my radar is 22" versus your 17". We have the same 14'10" to top of arch which gives me confidence to do Lake Champlain and Western Erie canal. Thanks.

        #5
        Our 4788 weighed 45K on one lift and 47K on another lift.

        Thats a pretty typical weight for a boat in service.

        KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

        where are we right now?

        https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

        Comment


          #6
          Originally posted by ksanders View Post
          Our 4788 weighed 45K on one lift and 47K on another lift.

          Thats a pretty typical weight for a boat in service.
          Wow - we were always #5,000+ under those weights.
          Northport NY

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

            Wow - we were always #5,000+ under those weights.
            I asked around here when my boat was weighed, because I too had questions. I might be on the high side but not extrordanaryially so. Then there is scale error.

            My big suprise was that a 30,000 pound spec’d boat is really a 40,000 pound + boat in real life

            KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

            where are we right now?

            https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by ksanders View Post

              I asked around here when my boat was weighed, because I too had questions. I might be on the high side but not extrordanaryially so. Then there is scale error.

              My big suprise was that a 30,000 pound spec’d boat is really a 40,000 pound + boat in real life
              So where do you think the weight is coming from?
              If the dry weight 4788 with diesels and genset is in the area of #32000-34000 where does the extra #13,000 come from?
              Fluids, spares, tools, batteries, stores....

              FWIW - our 4788 was weighed on over 10 different lifts over the years both in Fla, NY, CT and NJ and they did vary but none was over #40,000. I would have to go back to the logs to see the exact weights we recorded.
              Northport NY

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

                So where do you think the weight is coming from?
                If the dry weight 4788 with diesels and genset is in the area of #32000-34000 where does the extra #13,000 come from?
                Fluids, spares, tools, batteries, stores....

                FWIW - our 4788 was weighed on over 10 different lifts over the years both in Fla, NY, CT and NJ and they did vary but none was over #40,000. I would have to go back to the logs to see the exact weights we recorded.
                I haven’t expended any brain cells thinking about it.

                I had my boat weighed, and was surprised at the weight, but it was full fuel, full water, tender, etc...
                I posted here with my suprise, and had severasl responses that were close enough to make me realize I was not so far out of norm as to make an issue of it to me.

                Didn’t even think about it agin till I responded this morning to this thread.

                KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

                where are we right now?

                https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

                Comment


                  #10
                  Our boat has been has been lifted twice with lifts that gave a weight. One was 41000# the other was 43000#. We have it loaded with our stuff. One yard owner told me not to put to much faith in life scales. He felt they were not very accurate. That said, enough of us keep coming back to 40000-45000# plus or minus. Close enough for me.
                  2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                  12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Enjoying the PNW

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Having made a seemingly infinite number of one-way dock cart runs from SUV to boat, taking into consideration fuel, water, holding tank plus the RIB etc and factoring in Travelift error I’m no longer amazed at a 40k+ weight. Maybe Knot Home should be renamed “J-Low Hips”.
                    Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                    Sammamish WA
                    1998 4788 (April 2018)
                    ”Knot Home”
                    MMSI 368040470

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
                      Having made a seemingly infinite number of one-way dock cart runs from SUV to boat, taking into consideration fuel, water, holding tank plus the RIB etc and factoring in Travelift error I’m no longer amazed at a 40k+ weight. Maybe Knot Home should be renamed “J-Low Hips”.
                      Thats Bad

                      KEVIN SANDERS
                      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                      www.transferswitch4less.com

                      where are we right now?

                      https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Just sayin..... coincidence?


                        Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                        Sammamish WA
                        1998 4788 (April 2018)
                        ”Knot Home”
                        MMSI 368040470

                        Comment


                        • ksanders
                          ksanders commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Does my stern look big??

                        #14
                        Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                        Our boat has been has been lifted twice with lifts that gave a weight. One was 41000# the other was 43000#. We have it loaded with our stuff. One yard owner told me not to put to much faith in life scales. He felt they were not very accurate. That said, enough of us keep coming back to 40000-45000# plus or minus. Close enough for me.
                        Hello Woodsea - is your boat at 41K - 43K#'s stock or does it have modifications to the hull, tankage, etc?
                        Northport NY

                        Comment


                          #15
                          Originally posted by ksanders View Post

                          I haven’t expended any brain cells thinking about it.

                          I had my boat weighed, and was surprised at the weight, but it was full fuel, full water, tender, etc...
                          I posted here with my suprise, and had severasl responses that were close enough to make me realize I was not so far out of norm as to make an issue of it to me.

                          Didn’t even think about it agin till I responded this morning to this thread.

                          I have found that weights of these boats do affect the performance and propping such that keeping the weight reasonable is a good practice for a few reasons.
                          We could see the differences between a lightly loaded boat (all empty tanks, no dinghy) and a heavily loaded boat when checking baselines for rpm, speed, EGT, boost, etc.
                          Cruising speeds, top speeds, waterline depth, thru hull distance above water are all noticeably different with weight gains especially in fresh water rivers & lakes.
                          I could see getting around #40,000 if you have a lot on board but the weights at #45,000+ would have me concerned about where all that weight is coming from.
                          Northport NY

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X