No announcement yet.

Upper Deck - Tender Tie Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't use tie down straps...until I met my first massive freighter wake.
    Needless to say, I now use three straps to tie it down whenever underway.
    Pat
    Paragon
    1999 4788

Comment

Good conversation - and what a total brain fart on my part.
      Transom trailer tie down straps are on the way. Exactly the simplicity I was looking for.

Still trying to decide if I do a strap on the front or just a small bridal on a snap that will pull tight when the transom straps are cammed over.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

• Destiny_4588
        Destiny_4588 commented
        Editing a comment
        from my experience you tension on both ends or it slide and once it moves it loose very quickly. so I do bow, stern and one over the top to keep it in place.

• Woodsea
        Woodsea commented
        Editing a comment
        We use 3 tie downs to through bolted eyelets. One at the bow. Two at the stern. Got lazy one day on the SF bay and only had the bow strapped. Riding through some of the typical bay “chop” 4’ from 4 directions with spray over the top of the flybridge. Piloting from flybridge and looked back to see dinghy levitating above its chocks held in place by the bow tie down. No damage except to my underwear. Totally lucked out. Never again! Now I also check tie downs every day or so to ensure they are snug.

I use this type of strap on our skiff that lives on a trailer. The bucket releases very quickly and if you cut the tail of the strap short it will slip right out of the buckle. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/gato...whale-tie-down

Comment

We have the weaver chocks like Brad showed photos of in post #3 I think.

For actually tying the skiff down I use the front eye of the skiff to a fixed loop right below it, using a stainless steel ratchet strap. That works for all “normal” operation.

If I am going to be exposed to really rough water I tie the aft corners down as well, but that is pretty rare.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Ratchet strap at the bow to a pad eye on the deck. Twin cam-lock straps on the dinghy stern to two eye bolts mounted on the downslope of the aft boat deck. If the dingy is on the deck, all three straps are in place. With the occasional crowded water jackass putting up a big wake I think the two-three minutes involved with the cam-locks is cheap insurance (I can’t believe some of the yahoos that have passed me in the San Juans). Safe vs sorry.
          Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
          Sammamish WA
          1998 4788 (April 2018)
          ”Knot Home”
          MMSI 368040470

Comment

• kwb
            kwb commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with always having things like this properly stowed. Sometimes the nick-nacks inside don't get secured but a few ounces sliding around or tipping over is a whole other thing than 500# of weight making an abrupt shift and stop.

As to other boat wakes, I am one that runs 16kn or so most of the time. Unless it is a really tight passage (<100yds between boats) I work under the presumption that everyone has big boy pants on and knows how to cross a boat wake either from the front or the stern. I do get annoyed when someone takes the long way around and basically wake you twice (passing same direction go to port and then cut back to pick up course that was off the starboard of your course). It is also annoying when someone wants to "own" a channel at 7-8kn running exactly down the middle on autopilot and then hails you for being the asshat because you are forced into a tighter than needed passing.

• Knothome4788
            Knothome4788 commented
            Editing a comment
            My passing observation was directed at close quarters passing with no horn and plenty of room to give a wider berth. Funny you mention the auto pilot scenario. In the San Juan Islands you can tell who is running an autopilot based on Navionics auto-routing! Can you say head on collision? Of course you can. 😉
        Working...
        X