muir cougar windlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muir cougar windlass

My chain is jamming when retrieving the stripper looks fine and tight, chain is rusty so I'm replacing it. looks to be buy measuring it to be a bbb chain its not stamped and its factory 1993 chain. just want to confirm that the gypsum on these muir cougar will only take this type of chain. would be nice if the gyp would take G4 chain. any body have this prob and or change to G4???
    1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

Ours was jamming on retrieval as well but our issue was a twisted chain and excessive pile up in the chain locker. We took the chain out on Sunday and untwisted it. When we brought it back into the locker, I made sure it piled nicely - No more jamming. Now I just need to add a short hawsepipe extension in the chain locker to make sure it piles at the bottom rather than on the slope of the bow.
    Shawn Hammer and Geri Schaffer
    G-dock, Shilshole, Seattle
    2005 Meridian 490
    2016 Walker Bay
    M/V 2nd Circus

Comment

Your chain must match the Gypsy size...the Gypsy should be stamped as the chain..A few other things can cause jamming issues as stated above,worn Gypsy,Stripper,not enough chain contact in Gypsy..A good anchor will help for twisting chain
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I did this project last year. Replaced the old rusty BBB chain with new G4 chain. Yes, I had to buy a new gypsy for the windlass. During installation, it became obvious that the old chain stripper was busted and not doing its job. I bought a new one from Imtra which now does a very good job when retracting the chain. It no longer binds up between the windlass wheel and the pipe which goes into the locker. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3317.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	583767
        Evan
        2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
        League City, TX

Comment

Call Jim Thomas at at Imtra 508-995-7000. The gypsy is stamped with the size it is designed for. We upgraded from BBB to G4. The chain should also be stamped BBB or G4 if not it is proof coil or something else that can also be the issue. Jim is very helpful.
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

We used the same chain stripper that Evan used when we owned our M490. The stripper will need to be raised by about 5/8" and we used starboard to do the job.

The parts manager at our local chandlers used to be a regional sales rep for Muir, and advised me that G4 Hi-tensile chain would run through the same Gypsy as BBB chain. When we replaced our BBB chain with G4, all was well as we sucked the new chain into the locker with no weight or anchor load, but a few weeks later in Desolation Sound and the first time we anchored with the new chain, we managed to dump about 200 feet of chain on the bottom in no time at all, as the chain was skipping over the gypsy. The real fun started when we tried to recover the chain, we managed to irritate boaters in a half mile radius as the chain was jumping and banging over the gypsy, we thought the bowsprit was going to shake right off the boat that day.

The lesson - If you switch to G4 chain from BBB, you have to replace the gypsy, which judging by the quote must be gold plated with diamond clusters! We went back to BBB chain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass-5.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	583958
            Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

Yes, the new gypsy is quite pricey. But call the guy at Imtra as he was able to discount it a fair bit.

Heres a photo of my final install. We used stainless plate to raise up the stripper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFEF4F0A-EC58-4166-9993-09C798E13287.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	584127

i actually use the old gypsy as the world’s heaviest coaster at my desk at home. The glass or mug fits snuggly right in the hole on the inside of the wheel!
              Evan
              2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
              League City, TX

Comment

Working...
              X