4788 stb soffit leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 stb soffit leak

I have a leak from the fly bridge coming out the stb soffit in the salon (see attached) I have re-caulked all seams, pulled the stb fly bridge bench seat and made sure the drain is sealed, checked the radar arch and still can't find the leak. Possibly one of the hoses from the deck drains? When I open the inspection plate for the rear fly bridge deck drain in the cockpit ceiling there is water but the deck drain and hose are dry. I would appreciate any suggestions!

At this time I think the only option is to open the soffit and see if I can find the source. Does anyone no how to open up the soffit ? As always any ideas and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Bob

Hi Bob
    To remove soffit you have to remove the blinds then you should see screws or "L" brackets,however I have seen extra screws installed thru the " Puck lights ".
    As for water penetration could be coming from hand Rail,gutter,stations,or any screws on fllybridge deck,check out the " wet bar " if you have it.....Good luck...Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

• vpool
      vpool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

I’ve got the same problem and the PO had apparently tried chasing it down for years. My guess is it’s coming thru the pilothouse to flybridge door as it seems to decrease when the canvas is on the door. Not the bimini canvas but the piece that snaps over the door itself. At some point I’ll take the aluminum trim off and attempt to re-seal the joint around the perimeter of the door.
    Good luck and let us know what you find...
    Drew Haas
    1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

• vpool
      vpool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

One method I’ve used for this same leak is to use your iphone and take movies as you squeeze your hand in between the soffit and the ceiling

Otherwise you need to remove the soffit which is not all that hard if you have a helper onboard.

My soffitts need recovering. When I fo that I’m cutting them into sections to make removal easier.

Actually the next time one has to come down it is getting cut and recovered.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

• vpool
      vpool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Originally posted by vpool View Post
    I have a leak from the fly bridge coming out the stb soffit in the salon (see attached) I have re-caulked all seams, pulled the stb fly bridge bench seat and made sure the drain is sealed, checked the radar arch and still can't find the leak. Possibly one of the hoses from the deck drains? When I open the inspection plate for the rear fly bridge deck drain in the cockpit ceiling there is water but the deck drain and hose are dry. I would appreciate any suggestions!

At this time I think the only option is to open the soffit and see if I can find the source. Does anyone no how to open up the soffit ? As always any ideas and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Bob
    The problem with this type of leak is that the water will pool on the horizontal inside of the soffit and spread before leaking down where you can see it. So where you see it leaking down is not necessarily where it is leaking into the soffit. It looks like you are going to have to remove the soffit as part of your restitution anyway (the wood will be soaked and the fabric looks stained). So to reduce the pain I would go ahead and pull the soffit off first. Once it is opened up you will be able to dry the ceiling and with a hose or the next time it rains you will better see where the leak is coming from. It takes two people to safely drop the starboard soffit (which is longer and heavier than the port) and the wiring may need to be clipped to enable you to drop it to lie on the sofa. So have a pair of wire cutters handy. You will be surprised how heavy it is, especially waterlogged! This is a good time to upgrade to recessed LEDs if you have not already done so. When I did my leak I wound up throwing the soffits on both sides away and replacing with solid wood. So that is also an option.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6178.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	583196Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6175.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	583197Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6181.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	583198
    Alan Teed
    MOONSHADOW
    '96 Wendon Sky Lounge
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Previously:
    1994 Bayliner 4788
    2006 Hylas 49' Sailboat
    Bayliner 2855
    1977 Cal 34' Sailboat
    1981 Hunter 33' Sailboat
    Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

• Woodsea
      Woodsea commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the wood soffits Alan!

• vpool
      vpool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Alan the wood looks great!

Originally posted by Alan_Teed View Post

The problem with this type of leak is that the water will pool on the horizontal inside of the soffit and spread before leaking down where you can see it. So where you see it leaking down is not necessarily where it is leaking into the soffit. It looks like you are going to have to remove the soffit as part of your restitution anyway (the wood will be soaked and the fabric looks stained). So to reduce the pain I would go ahead and pull the soffit off first. Once it is opened up you will be able to dry the ceiling and with a hose or the next time it rains you will better see where the leak is coming from. It takes two people to safely drop the starboard soffit (which is longer and heavier than the port) and the wiring may need to be clipped to enable you to drop it to lie on the sofa. So have a pair of wire cutters handy. You will be surprised how heavy it is, especially waterlogged! This is a good time to upgrade to recessed LEDs if you have not already done so. When I did my leak I wound up throwing the soffits on both sides away and replacing with solid wood. So that is also an option.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6178.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	583196Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6175.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	583197Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6181.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	583198
    Those look REALLY nice!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Those look REALLY nice!
      Thanks Kevin! I couldn't get teak at a reasonable price so these are cherry, stained teak(ish) and I am really happy with the way they came out. Never got to enjoy them as the boat was put up for sale shortly after but it was a good project! Currently waiting to pick up my new boat next week I hope. Am sure I have a ton of projects to get started on. Itching......
      Alan Teed
      MOONSHADOW
      '96 Wendon Sky Lounge
      Gig Harbor, WA
      Previously:
      1994 Bayliner 4788
      2006 Hylas 49' Sailboat
      Bayliner 2855
      1977 Cal 34' Sailboat
      1981 Hunter 33' Sailboat
      Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

• Knothome4788
        Knothome4788 commented
        Editing a comment
        Alan - is the Wendon the Mianopa up in B.C.? If so quite a step up. Nice!

Last weekend we had 4” of rain fall in an hour and a half followed by another downpour later that same evening. Was battling a leak on the starboard side through the whole event. Using paper towels, I narrowed the leak to the location between the 2nd and 3rd lights (counting from the rear). I had fixed a similarly placed leak on the port side a couple of years ago based on advice from John Higgins. That was removing and rebedding the piece of hardware with the stainless loop that is attached to the bottom of the radar arch. That fixed the port side leak so I worked on the equivalent on the starboard side which happens to be the attachment point for the rail. I also found a missing screw in the trim on the stbd side of the arch and filled that in.

Currently waiting for a new downpour to test the results. If it still leaks, I will turn my attention to the rain gutter.
      Evan
      2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
      League City, TX

Comment

It’s really hard to chase leaks from the inside. I’ve found ingress points 15 feet from where it’s showing in the salon.

I use clear 2” packing tape and put it over suspect areas. You can then wait for rain or flood the area with a hose. If the leak stops you have a suspect. Sometimes it takes a while to show up inside. In 17 years of owning this boat I still gets leaks. Some in new area some in the same spots I thought I had fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X