Replacing the Electric Heaters in my 1989 3888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the Electric Heaters in my 1989 3888

Hi I need to replace the electric heaters in my 1989 3888, The one in the main salon has stopped working the other 2 in the guest stateroom and the Captains stateroom still work fine but i'm guessing they will
    give up the ghost in the near future. Anyone have recommendations for replacements?

Pick a watt heaters. Can't go wrong. Easy install easy to select the right wattage.

KING PAW1215-W PAW Pic-A-Watt Electric Wall Heater, 1500-Watt 120-Volt, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PS9NY6..._qA4REbXV0SCAS

LilJohn Captain of Premium IV
    1991 4388 floating in the great PNW..

Comment

I just put PAW 1215 in my 1988 3818 all my old heaters were 1000 watts I set solan at 1000 and two state rooms at 750 the PAW Heaters fit inside my old cans added few screws
      and hooked up wires very easy seams to be plenty to f heat and way quieter
      cheer
      Roy
      ketchikan Alaska
      1988 3818
      EH 700
      Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

No question. Pick-A-Watt. There are a couple of things about getting the Cadets out. They are both basically three components. A grill, the mounting can and the heater assembly. If you don’t have a compact battery drill/driver, now is a good time to get one. The challenge in each location is in the way each unit was installed. The heater unit has a tab at one end that goes over the can mounting flange.....so between the mounting flange and the plywood of the locker or salon bulkhead. The screws you need to get that tab out from between for the salon is accessed by uncovering it on the engine room side. In the staterooms, I found that removing the bottom shelf gave me access, but that means the angle aluminum that holds the cabinet together needs to be removed. Basically you are going to partially disassemble each cabinet. Once you have the old heater unit out of the way, you can reuse the can and grill. The next challenge is as you mount the new heater unit you’ll find that the power wires are at the wrong end of the can, so, get a few knockout cable clamps and some knockout plugs. Once you have the wattage wires you want connected, no wire nuts, butt crimps, screw the heater unit to the back of the can and put things back together. I’d really like to have a selector dial on the outside of the grill so I can easily change the wattage. I’m limited to 20 amps for shore power, so I’m running a combination something like 750 in the salon, 250 in the guest stateroom and 500 in the master. It would be nice to be able to easily change those when we are out and can get 30 amp or are on the generator.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Same here, PAW system is the way to go. Especially when you consider that many of the small rooms don't need a lot to stay warm. This helps to manage the 30AMP two step that one has to play in most marinas.
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

All good info from the fleet. To take it a step further, you could install a diesel heater, which will require no 110 power, and yield a toasty warm boat even when you’re not plugged in to dock power.
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]
            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• Pcpete
              Pcpete commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus one on that!

• Papa_Charlie
              Papa_Charlie commented
              Editing a comment
              We have both, here in the PNW, the winters can be more than the electrics can handle. We have an electric fireplace in the salon which really moves the heat around better but still not capable of keeping you warm during the really cold times. We have a Webasto hyrdraunic system as well. Sometimes it takes both when we get down into the single digits.

Thanks guys Got one ordered and on its way!

Comment

I replaced three of mine with the PAW’s.
              I pulled the guts out of the old boxes and installed the new components inside the original boxes, painted the original grills and reinstalled them.
              This saved trying to make the new boxes and grills fit. All three original heater installations were a bit different.
              Must have been done by different people.
              I replace the salon heater with an LED/quartz fireplace. It really pumps out the heat.

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
                Papa_Charlie commented
                Editing a comment
                I added a fireplace in the old tube tv area. So we now have two electric heaters in the salon, one in the pilothouse, one in the companionway and one in the master stateroom. We also have the diesel hydronic system with registers in the salon, pilothouse, guest and master staterooms.
                I think I have the heat covered, although during those single digit nights it doesn't always feel like it.
            Working...
            X