3870 Winter Refit and Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
    Cool, looks great brother! Personally I’m not a fan of those double wire type hose clamps but to teach their own. I see new motor mounts and the ceramic coated manicoolers look great too! On your sea strainers, did you use the cork or rubber gaskets? Don’t forget to reconnect that water line to the water heater. Bet you can’t wait to launch her!
    Thanks! I finished (ie, I'm $%^&*$ over it!) sanding and rinsing the bottom. Tomorrow, she gets her coat of paint. I've been replacing the seized wire hose clamps as I've gone thru the motors and I think those are the only 2 left that still work fine, lol. I think the mains are newer and so they used the rubber gaskets. I modified rubber gaskets for the AC and Genny strainer because I didn't realize they were originally cork.
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Been working lunch so I can leave early. The splotchy bottom before pictures, and the pretty nice looking after pictures! 2 gallons of Westmarine CPP did the entire bottom (1 coat), plus about 15" around the water line. I have 1/3 gallon left and will touch up under the stands and hit the leading edges and tunnels again. Tomorrow nights goal is to clean and install the props, zincs, and then zinc spray paint on all the under water metal. Thursday night, I have some hose clamps to install and stuff the packing glands. Friday afternoon, hopefully she goes back in the water 😎
      Attached Files
      . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Nice job on the bottom paint, looks good! Interested to hear how the tunnels work and if you see improvements in performance. Are you running the original 20x21 props?

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
          Nice job on the bottom paint, looks good! Interested to hear how the tunnels work and if you see improvements in performance. Are you running the original 20x21 props?

James
          I will take pics and some cruise speed comparisons from what I normally was running. I need to get my new Garmin unit running so I get some GPS speed to report. Even at my slower trawler speeds, I'm interested in a cleaner wake and less water washing up on the swim platform. I saw the before and after pics in my previously linked thread. That alone I think is worth it. Also, I re pitched a year and half ago to 20x20. I gained about 150 rpm and 1 mph on the top end. I'm a liveaboard and only getting heavier, lol.

Marina let me know they don't launch on Fridays or Mondays. So, with the weather front coming thru next week...I'm hoping to splash on Thursday and move the boat Friday morning. Really would love to have the boat in the slip for Memorial Day weekend. Final things are paint transducer, pack stuffing boxes, clean top to bottom and get the sanding dust out of there

Comment

Cool, I for one am looking forward to seeing pics of you on your boat ( in the water) sipping on a cool one with your feet propped up! Great job buddy!
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]
            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Awesome work! I so want the tunnels for mine but afraid I will mess up install.

Quick question, any concern with the rusting swim step bolts? Mine are like that with the port top one showing rust signs bu I haven't replaced.
              Sean
              1987 3870
              Crimson Pride II
              Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
              MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Sunny, the installation of the type beans has is pretty straightforward. The most difficult part I see is supporting each one to get it aligned. There are some guys at Dagmars that didn’t use a flange. Instead, they overlapped the last six inches or so of the tunnel and ran the screws in vertically with a lot of 5200. It’s on my list along with spray rails.
                The rust streaks can be cleaned up with muriatic acid. It will shine up the stainless steel too.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F879625D-FD48-4F1C-8BF3-3657109B3B94.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	583441 It’s on my list along with spray rails.

Pete, I have spray rails on my 38 and I’m not all that impressed. Unless they’re in the wrong location of the wrong shape, I doubt I’d spend any boat bucks to add spray rails. I’ll try to find a pic of mine for comparison.
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]
                  Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• Pcpete
                    Pcpete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s the area where I’ve seen them mounted. My plan is to use a strip of Azak as a core, then run a layer or two of mat over the top to glass it in and to the hull. The goal is to reduce the spray that gets to the bridge.

Originally posted by Sunnydude View Post
                  Awesome work! I so want the tunnels for mine but afraid I will mess up install.

Quick question, any concern with the rusting swim step bolts? Mine are like that with the port top one showing rust signs bu I haven't replaced.
                  Install could be easier, but I'm anal-retentive 😂

So the boat went in today! Left work for a couple hours, even with the storm skirting the coast, the marina manager said we can do it today. I'm going to stay tied up till probably Saturday when the wind is nicer, then move to my home slip. I'll be cleaning mostly until then. Lots of sanding dust everywhere :/ And tools...

Nothing is leaking, engines started, ready to hook up my Chart Plotter and Radar! Need to do my bonding system. Since I plan to refit for the entire year, I'll continue to update this thread 😎 I have a lot of plans
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking good! Your boat is sitting a lot higher in the water than mine. My normal at rest has the exhaust cutouts immersed about a third.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• kwb
                      kwb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Different cutouts in the hull - his look like there isn't a notch /box that the exhaust feeds to just tube exiting through side of hull. Might be a plant to plant difference as I believe they did build 38's at one of the eastern locations as well (Georgia?)

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                    Looking good! Your boat is sitting a lot higher in the water than mine. My normal at rest has the exhaust cutouts immersed about a third.
                    There is a 25+ mph cross wind in that pic, lifting the starboard side up a bit. Normally, the notch has about an 1" of water over it, just lapping the bottom of the exhaust tube.

Comment

• Pcpete
                      Pcpete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And no fenders on the lee side....

• Cool_Beans
                      Cool_Beans commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They are there, getting smooshed good, hehehe

Good to be back in the slip! So ends phase 1 of this refit😎 Power is back on, the AC system is up and running, toilet intake connected, no leaks, no vibrations during the short run to my slip. Fridge is running with beer in it! I'm not sure why it wasn't put there to begin with, but having the AC water pump and filter in the galley floor seems like it will be great! I can't hear it running when I'm in bed. Everything is easy to get to and service (didn't know the pump is supposed to be oiled regularly because I couldn't see it). I've started the deep clean of the inside and outside of the boat. I have the head and part of the salon left to finish. I started pulling out old wiring and removed a good 15 pounds so far. I also think I discovered part of my electrolysis problem: The chart plotter "-" wire was led aft to the swim platform struts bonding bolt 🙄 I'll update my other thread with the full story.

My attempt at a summary of what has been done to this point:
                    -ALL underwater hardware was pulled and rebedded
                    -2 new trim tabs
                    -2 new struts
                    -Rudders pulled, refurbished
                    -Steering tierod pulled and refurbished
                    -Stuffing boxes pulled and refurbished with new hoses
                    -8 new engine mounts
                    -Engines aligned
                    -1 new shaft coupler
                    -Discovered old repairs and gouges and holes in the hull ground out and repaired with epoxy and glass
                    -New main bonding bus and transom zinc studs installed
                    -4 new thru hulls
                    -AC water pump and strainer moved to galley floor
                    -2 old transducers removed and holes glassed in
                    -New transducer installed
                    -Rebuilt 4 strainers
                    -tunnel extensions installed
                    -Refurbished 1 mains raw water pump
                    -misc. new hoses and clamps
                    -Ripped out entire bonding system

I'm going to just continue to update this thread and my refit continues this year. Might as well knock as much as I can while I have the momentum! Phase 2 should start this week after I move back in and everything is cleaned. I'm thinking phase 2 will mostly be boring electrical work. After my wiring discovery, I'm going to check everything and clean all connections. Install the Bonding system. Check all PO electrical modifications. Install my Chartplotter and Radar. Phase 3 is probably going to be external improvements (I want to build hardtops for the fly bridge and cockpit, new galley window, etc.). Phase 4 might end up being interior remodeling. I'll update as I continue 😁
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dang! Beans, whatever drugs you’re on I want some! You’re knocking it dead brother! Keep up the great work!
                      Jim Gandee
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 175's
                      Fire Escape
                      [email protected]
                      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Is it just me, or is the website choppy and painfully slow? Work computer and home computer. Regardless...

Sea trialed the boat today. Top speed hit 19.1 mph (GPS, perp to current) @ approx. 2800 rpm. Full 1 mph higher than pre- tunnel extensions. Starboard engine still hasn't been tuned, smoked a tiny bit. No vibrations, everything ran smooth. Prop wash out of the boat was much cleaner and lifted the swim platform up like 4-6 inches. Trim tabs still don't work, so this wall all with the tabs up. I think I could go a bit fast with some down tab. Need to loosen the stuffing box as they got a tiny bit warm on the top speed run, but are cool when going slower. 2000 rpm and 11 mph seems to be the new sweet spot for cruising. No leaks!
                        I'm very happy right now This is so much better than the boat I initially purchased I also started playing with the chartplotter. Nothing final on the install, but it was so cool to see everything it can do. Stoked to get my radar installed!

Running video:
                        https://youtu.be/hYxko6CCAZQ

Pics attached @ approx 2000 rpm showing the nicer wake. Then Top speed run.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X