Foredeck chair/sofa 4788/490

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foredeck chair/sofa 4788/490

I find the seat on the foredeck of my 4788 very uncomfortable. The foam is old and 8” tall back rest is useless.

Before I put in new foam in the old covers, has anyone done a clever mod to the cushions to make this seat comfortable?

Anyone found a drop in double seat that works?

Thanks, -Morgan
    1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
    Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Hi Morgan,

my previous boat was a 4588. I hated the front seat on that,as well. I put together a really simple set up. It was two panlels of 1/2 plastic that I installed via a couple thumbscrews along the back wall of th old seat. The panels were about 16 inches high and traversed the entire back wall of the little molded seat. I found a cushion for lawn furniture that fit perfectly along the bottom side. I then found three matching pillow backs for lawn chairs that I sewed a couple of straps that I used for snaps to snap the backs and keep them in place when under way. The taller panels supported the back nicely and was pretty comfy...and was easy to take on and off... I don’t have any real good pictures of the set up, but hopefully the picture, looks help...

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CAB2F15-C5E1-4B3A-A81E-7525CF7C50EE.jpeg
Views:	610
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	560307

~BJ
    OMEGA

BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

Thanks BJ. I have been looking for Marine Cushions. I didn't even think of looking for some lawn furniture cushions. Excellent.

Comment

I have found that little couch to be useless as well.

We just drag chairs from the cockpit to the foredeck when we want to sit up there.

I really like the idea of just installing a higher back to the foredeck couch and putting out some lawn furniture cushions.

Great idea!

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

The higher seat backs were easy to build. If you get the right thickness of plastic board (I think it was 1/2 in), the bottom of the board seats in the drain trough that is molded in the back of the seat base. That allows a couple screw to be used on the high side of the back, so the board stays in place as the board kind of cantilevers backwards to creat the seat back. Then all you have to do is find a nice set of cushions and wha lah....
          BJ
          OMEGA

Comment

Hello all .... I find that bean bags work great, whether on top of the seat or anywhere on the bow area.

Comment

Has anyone tried one of those nylon folding stadium seats? Or permanent for sure but easy to store if they’d work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BBCFD9B4-7770-4893-85D7-F7AAD62A2FFF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	560980
              Attached Files
              Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”
              MMSI 368040370

Comment

I tried some of those type of stadium chairs along with another version that had a metal frame from costco. Though I could sit upright more comfortably, I didn’t like them, as I couldn’t lay across them and relax like I could with cushions.

~BJ
                BJ
                OMEGA

Comment

We have found that we have never used the built in seating on the foredeck. We have enjoyed putting a couple of lounge chairs up there for our trips to the San Juan's. So nice to layout there comfortably.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Bow Shot.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	561130
                  Patrick and Patti
                  4588 Pilothouse 1991
                  12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                  M/V "Paloma"
                  MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Here is my solution to the foredeck seating problem. Having white vinyl cushions with navy piping made and a navy blue sunbrella cover. The bench is plastic resin by Highwood, 60 inches wide. I cut six inches off each leg and then cut two cutoffs in two for attachments to the deck using 4200 and SS screws.

Dan Weaver
                    1997 4788
                    Murrells Inlet, SC

Comment

I'd love to try something like that, but my dogs love that original seat, so for now...it stays.
                      Toni Froehling

Yelm, Washington
                      1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Great idea .... that has me thinking. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by ddw1668 View Post
                          Here is my solution to the foredeck seating problem. Having white vinyl cushions with navy piping made and a navy blue sunbrella cover. The bench is plastic resin by Highwood, 60 inches wide. I cut six inches off each leg and then cut two cutoffs in two for attachments to the deck using 4200 and SS screws.

Dan Weaver
                          1997 4788
                          Murrells Inlet, SC
                          What a cool idea! Find a bench that fits and shorten the rear legs a bit.

Thinking about it you could do the same thing with a couple of chairs instead of a bench if you wanted. Metal based chairs might be really easy to shorten the legs.

KEVIN SANDERS
                          4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
                          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

We keep a couple of these chairs from West Marine aboard and toss them on the molded seat when we want to sit up there. They store flat, so we keep them up on the FB when not being used. Work great, and super comfy. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...56?recordNum=1
                            James
                            2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                            Gig Harbor, WA
                            11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
                            Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
                            Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

Comment

Okay. Done. I took BJ's idea. Thank you BJ on OMEGA.

A 1/2" white board slides into the drip channel nicely. I had a basic vinyl cushion made, slightly larger than the board. The board picks up a few of the old snaps to hold it in place in bouncy weather. A few more snaps to hold the cushion on the board.

I also replaced the foam in the old bottom cushion.

The result is surprisingly comfortable. Plus, the back folds away so that the old sunbrella cover still fits overtop.

One more item off the winter to-do list.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X