Monkey Fur/Headliner Carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monkey Fur/Headliner Carpet

Has anyone removed the monkey fur from the head and replaced it with another option? I am not a fan of the carpeted ceiling in the head. I was thinking painting a coat of Tuff Coat or some other marine grade paint would look good as a replacement. Has anyone tackled this project before?
    "FOG 1"
    1989 Bayliner 3288
    Twin 305s
    Kenmore, WA

I installed cream colored textured bathroom plastic from Home Depot in the cabin, ceiling seems were finished with teak strips.
    This brightened up the salon and looks great, easy to clean.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• NorwegianDave
      NorwegianDave commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that idea!

Dave, Dave, Dave....now you are going to have everybody checking out the ceiling in the head. Including me. I’m not a fan of monkey fur, period, but it’s not on my list for replacement.
    If you remove it, cleaning up the surface will be a rare treat. You’re going to have to love overhead sanding. It wouldn’t be just the remnants of the monkey fur, there’s the contact cement that has to be removed and the inner fiberglass layer is going to have to be faired. You could do something like Pat did with that plastic sheeting. I used it, well the Bach side, to make interior trim for the trunk of my Nova. It’s easy to work with and could go right over the monkey fur. Making a cardboard template for a pattern will help get the fit right, then you can finish it with some teak edging.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• NorwegianDave
      NorwegianDave commented
      Editing a comment
      You make it sound so easy Pete!

In later years after Monkeys became scarce Bayliner switched to Foam Backed Vinyls the surface must be smooth and you can use contact cement .
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

• NorwegianDave
      NorwegianDave commented
      Editing a comment
      The foam backed vinyls look nice and are probably easier to clean!

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
    Dave, Dave, Dave....now you are going to have everybody checking out the ceiling in the head. Including me. I’m not a fan of monkey fur, period, but it’s not on my list for replacement.
    If you remove it, cleaning up the surface will be a rare treat. You’re going to have to love overhead sanding. It wouldn’t be just the remnants of the monkey fur, there’s the contact cement that has to be removed and the inner fiberglass layer is going to have to be faired. You could do something like Pat did with that plastic sheeting. I used it, well the Bach side, to make interior trim for the trunk of my Nova. It’s easy to work with and could go right over the monkey fur. Making a cardboard template for a pattern will help get the fit right, then you can finish it with some teak edging.
    I went through this when I rebuilt the vanity in the stateroom of our 3270. If you get the old contact cement hot enough, you can smear it off with a wire brush (rolls up into small blobs that fall off). It took a lot of time (and I'd LOATH doing it overhead) but it worked well. I used a heatgun and a large wire brush. Took a few hours but it was faster and cleaner than using acetone or toluen. Afterward, I painted it so its easy to keep clean and dry.

Just don't get the fiberglass too hot, or it will damage the resin.
    Attached Files

Comment

You must have a newer model. Mine is equiped with rat fur. I'd die to upgrade to monkey fur, you lucky rascal! Was that an option that year?

JV

Comment

david85, you have done an awesome job bringing your 32 back to life! I enjoyed checking out the photos and progress! Looks good man. Makes me want to remove the cockpit sink! The list continues!
      "FOG 1"
      1989 Bayliner 3288
      Twin 305s
      Kenmore, WA

Comment

Originally posted by NorwegianDave View Post
        david85, you have done an awesome job bringing your 32 back to life! I enjoyed checking out the photos and progress! Looks good man. Makes me want to remove the cockpit sink! The list continues!
        Stay tuned, because I'm in the middle of doing the same thing for the head. Outdoor sink/cabinet was removed but will be rebuilt eventually.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get that later style of foam backed vinyl?

Comment

A good Fabric / Upholstery shops should carry it ,might try an online surch........Just type in " foam backed vinyl "
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I looked around a bit because I got curious. Perfectfit.com has the foam and some great fabrics and the store/warehouse in Tukwilla is a supplier to a large section of the automotive and boat shops around here. Sailrite is another source. What I didn’t find is a ready to install foam finish thicker than 1/8”. However, I did find this that might just cause me to get a bit creative on Glauben.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxzqWP18ks
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Years ago I got that "Track." From Bayliner...however I had a hella of a time finding the "Wedge " tool ..I screwed the strips to the overhead,and picked up a few tricks along the way...When using the strips you only use vinyl ( no foam backing) in the video they used Sunbrilla fabric....you end up stretching material to track and using tool to force it into track and repeat to next track.,,,, I like the idea of using the Fabric in the video nice color/texture......Hope this helps....Brad
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              LaConner,Wa. (summer)
              kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Working...
              X