Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    Gotcha! Yes, it looks modular when you start browsing thru the catalog. That plug in the handle is used to plug the thru hull when in the water so you can take it apart and rebuilt it if needed. It's a pretty slick piece of engineering.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Cool_Beans View Post

What do you mean a shut-off? The ball valve portion is built in.
    Looks like the ball valve portion is one of three sections (center) with gaskets on either end all held together with the 4 screws.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2BD71072-B76D-4299-A637-4132A6A5DCB1.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	562276

Leave a comment:

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    Originally posted by builderdude View Post
    Interesting, looks like if a shut off is desired it’s simply added in the stack. None of my through hulls are below the waterline (except the head intake) which is factory bronze. I went with stainless on the rest. How do theses compare cost wise?
    What do you mean a shut-off? The ball valve portion is built in.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Interesting, looks like if a shut off is desired it’s simply added in the stack. None of my through hulls are below the waterline (except the head intake) which is factory bronze. I went with stainless on the rest. How do theses compare cost wise?

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks dude👍🏼

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    Okey dokey Builderdude, since you asked!

I ordered a 3/4" for my head intake and a 1" for the AC intake. The mushrooms and fittings are under sized (not full flow, like Groco) which is why I went with 1" for the AC intake. The style Defender sells comes with separate straight or 90 degree fittings. The entire assembly was $110. Pics attached are the 1" Series 93 Seacock. It's an impressive piece of modern engineering. Instructions state the ABYC 500+ lbs load rating can be developed with just the mushroom which is special designed for this seacock. But, it has bosses molded in for 1/4"-20 thru bolts if you wanted to install them. There is a plug in the handle that will fit into and seal the mushroom from outside. It can be disassembled and cleaned in the boat. Handle is extra beefy. No regrets so far! I'll have them installed by next week.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    commented on 's reply
    Yes please, pics are worth a thousand words 👍🏼

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    So I bought a 3/4" for the head intake and a 1" for the A/C (I'll neck down to the strainer). These are really cool looking and beefy pieces of modern engineering! I might pony up and replace my engine intakes with the 1 1/4" seacocks with built in hose fittings for flushing. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post

I only recommend marine grade bronze seacocks, no brass!
    I have a friend who owned a large boat repair business for almost 40 years. I specifically asked him about using Marelon. He said that the only issue he's ever seen in all the years he's been in the business was the shaft breaking on the original Marelon valves. He said the later valve design is fine and the thru-hulls have always been excellent. He would not hesitate using Marelon in a boat.

He cautioned that it needs to be Marelon, and not generic plastic.

Leave a comment:

• boatworkfl
    replied
    Originally posted by jimbo88 View Post
    Marelon thru hull & seacocks are quite normal on many sailboats, including higher end ones. I had several on our last boat and the only real worry was the handles breaking, The new ones from Forespar are supposedly improved quite a bit in several regards

Here is a link to a thread with a good discussion and some testing results ( older and updated)
    https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th....136999/page-3

Even with bronze you need to be careful (apparently) as not all bronze is created equal.
    I only recommend marine grade bronze seacocks, no brass!
    There is a difference between a bronze valve and a seacock!
    Last edited by boatworkfl; 02-14-2020, 06:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jimbo88
    replied
    Marelon thru hull & seacocks are quite normal on many sailboats, including higher end ones. I had several on our last boat and the only real worry was the handles breaking, The new ones from Forespar are supposedly improved quite a bit in several regards

Here is a link to a thread with a good discussion and some testing results ( older and updated)
    https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th....136999/page-3

Even with bronze you need to be careful (apparently) as not all bronze is created equal.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    commented on 's reply
    Understood but what I stated is my position.

• boatworkfl
    replied
    I installed all new SS thru hulls, any from the engine bulkhead back under water tied tied into the bonding system.
    As a note, all wiring on my 3870 has been replaced with upsized wire.
    reason for re-wiring was the boat was sunk in the harbor prior to my purchase from the insurance company for $1300.
    Last edited by boatworkfl; 02-21-2020, 06:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting. I took a look at their website yesterday. I guess I’m stuck in the “thru hull fittings should be bronze or stainless” rut.

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=199316

These things are far from budget. But they come complete as a rated assembly, ready to install. They are supposed to be rebuildable in the boat as well...they come with a plug in the handle to insert in the thru-hull. I may just go for it and see if there are any regrets later, hehe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X