Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machog
    replied
    I had exactly the same symptoms with my 4087 & 250 turbo Cummins. Turned out to be a loose turbo hose clamp, not replaced correctly after a service. Engine would get to about 1400rpm and stay there. Check all your turbo hose fittings and hoses.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerB
    replied
    You should be able to remove fitting from the top of the tank with the pickup tube.

Leave a comment:

• Renilyab
    replied
    I inspected the hose to the valve from the tank and nothing is obviously bad.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to blow out the line and put whatever is causing the obstruction back in the tank.
    If I remove the outlet fitting on the top of the tank does the pickup tube come out with it?

Leave a comment:

• Jeffw
    replied
    Renilyab, I think you've got it all backwards.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Unlikely, but it may be a bad selector valve. You could swap the hoses on the selector valve temporarily. If the problem moves to the other tank, the valve is bad.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerB
    replied
    I tend to agree with others sounds like a dirty pickup.

Leave a comment:

• MacPhid
    replied
    Do the 39's have screens on the pickup tubes? Should be an easy fix with any luck.

James

Leave a comment:

• The_Other_Gary
    replied
    They are 3 different pickup tubes in each tank, one for each engine and one for the generator. This may also dictate a good tank cleaning is needed.

Leave a comment:

• Sportscar
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Other_Gary View Post
    Clogged pickup tube in port tank.
    He says the starboard engine runs fine from the port tank so it's not likely the pickup tube but might be a line itself or a valve.

Leave a comment:

• The_Other_Gary
    replied
    Clogged pickup tube in port tank.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by Renilyab View Post
    After replacing the on engine fuel filter and rechecking the throttle linkage and fuel solenoid I went out for more tests.

Initially there was no improvement, so I experimented with fuel valve settings. Bottom line, the port engine does not like to be sourced from the port tank.

Sourcing the port engine from the starboard tank gives me full port engine power. Sourcing the starboard engine from either tank also gives full starboard engine power. As long as the port engine is sourced from the starboard tank I get full power with return in either position.

I think all this tells me the fuel and engine is good. I believe I have the problem narrowed down to one line and/or one valve.
    Good troubleshooting!

Leave a comment:

• Renilyab
    replied
    After replacing the on engine fuel filter and rechecking the throttle linkage and fuel solenoid I went out for more tests.

Initially there was no improvement, so I experimented with fuel valve settings. Bottom line, the port engine does not like to be sourced from the port tank.

Sourcing the port engine from the starboard tank gives me full port engine power. Sourcing the starboard engine from either tank also gives full starboard engine power. As long as the port engine is sourced from the starboard tank I get full power with return in either position.

I think all this tells me the fuel and engine is good. I believe I have the problem narrowed down to one line and/or one valve.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

Maybe low fuel on one tank.
    Or maybe a known problem with fuel supply?

Leave a comment:

• smitty477
    replied
    Originally posted by ksanders View Post
    I wonder if there is a reason the fuel valves were set differently at sea trial.
    Maybe low fuel on one tank.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    I wonder if there is a reason the fuel valves were set differently at sea trial.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X