No announcement yet.

Survey Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got the main survey back today. Pretty good. Biggest issue was a few scattered blisters, the need for bottom paint, several hoses, a ding in one prop and of course the shaft seals. One oddity. The fellow who owns the boat is rightfully very proud of its condition. He's pretty meticulous about all sorts of details. then in the survey, there were several examples of some pretty lazy wiring. Couple things were simply disconnected, the controller was broken off the wiring for the crane, lose wires not properly secured. Really surprising given how 95% of the boat shows. Of those things, my main concern is not being able to test the winch in the crane. It rotates fine. The rest is pretty simple stuff that will give me something to do.

Cale Mathers did the survey was the surveyor. I'd recommend him.

Now for the fun part....price adjustment of ____________???,

Any luck and we'll be the owners of "Satisfaction" in a week or so.

toni
    Toni

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Originally posted by courtjester View Post
      got the main survey back today. Pretty good. Biggest issue was a few scattered blisters, the need for bottom paint, several hoses, a ding in one prop and of course the shaft seals. One oddity. The fellow who owns the boat is rightfully very proud of its condition. He's pretty meticulous about all sorts of details. then in the survey, there were several examples of some pretty lazy wiring. Couple things were simply disconnected, the controller was broken off the wiring for the crane, lose wires not properly secured. Really surprising given how 95% of the boat shows. Of those things, my main concern is not being able to test the winch in the crane. It rotates fine. The rest is pretty simple stuff that will give me something to do.

Now for the fun part....price adjustment of ____________???,

Any luck and we'll be the owners of "Satisfaction" in a week or so.

toni
      So... I do not look at a survey like you are reporting as a price adjusting tool for very much.

* The shaft seals, yes that is something you could not have seen on a casual inspection.
      * The prop ding, yes, same concept.
      * A few hoses, nope, I’d not even think about it.
      * Bottom paint, no. The reason is that you could see the bottom paint especially near the bow of the boat and knew it needed re-doing when you made your offer. Besides bottom paint is a every 2-3 year thing anyway.
      * A couple blisters, no that is a normal part of boats, and they get fixed when you bottom paint.
      * As far as the crane winch, that is something you might negotiate. You could not see that upon casual inspection.
      * Wires not secured to the surveyors liking, no I do not buy that unless it’s something like a battery cable. Opinions vary on securing wires in enclosed spaces.

Just my two cents. If I was the seller I would only consider a minor adjustment nothing spectacular, and if I was a buyer and wanted the boat frankly I’d move to closing. you’re talking 1-2% of the value of the boat, max.

Remember it’s a 25 year old boat, not a 3 year old used car. There are damm few 4788’s on the market and it seems like you found a good one. I would not risk loosing the boat for these minor items. What if the seller is kinda re-considering selling at the negotiated price? Hit him up too hard and he could easially just say no, leaving you with no boat and a haulout plus surveys to pay for. Nope... I’d close, and close soon.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

• kwb
        kwb commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 spot on Kevin

I've used Cale Mathers - he's great. Does a thorough job.

If there are any Tier 1 deficiencies, Insurance and Banks will want them fixed within 30 days of closing. These are usually safety related or could influence the overall value of the boat or lead to an insurance claim. Typically, those are the things you can negotiate on. The Tier 2 and Tier 3 deficiencies are usually nit-picking - unless you are unable to fix these problems yourself and need to hire a mechanic to correct the situation.
      Pat
      Paragon
      1999 4788

Comment

Cale is an awesome surveyor. He knows Bayliners well and does a great job. He did the pre-purchase survey on my current boat and will be doing the insurance survey on it next week.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

So... I do not look at a survey like you are reporting as a price adjusting tool for very much.

* The shaft seals, yes that is something you could not have seen on a casual inspection.
          * The prop ding, yes, same concept.
          * A few hoses, nope, I’d not even think about it.
          * Bottom paint, no. The reason is that you could see the bottom paint especially near the bow of the boat and knew it needed re-doing when you made your offer. Besides bottom paint is a every 2-3 year thing anyway.
          * A couple blisters, no that is a normal part of boats, and they get fixed when you bottom paint.
          * As far as the crane winch, that is something you might negotiate. You could not see that upon casual inspection.
          * Wires not secured to the surveyors liking, no I do not buy that unless it’s something like a battery cable. Opinions vary on securing wires in enclosed spaces.

Just my two cents. If I was the seller I would only consider a minor adjustment nothing spectacular, and if I was a buyer and wanted the boat frankly I’d move to closing. you’re talking 1-2% of the value of the boat, max.A

Remember it’s a 25 year old boat, not a 3 year old used car. There are damm few 4788’s on the market and it seems like you found a good one. I would not risk loosing the boat for these minor items. What if the seller is kinda re-considering selling at the negotiated price? Hit him up too hard and he could easially just say no, leaving you with no boat and a haulout plus surveys to pay for. Nope... I’d close, and close soon.
          Ha....we'll compare notes when all is done. The other part of the equation is what a person is paying for the boat. If you're getting a "deal" to begin with, suck up the issues and make the deal. On the other hand, if you're paying a premium price, you get to expect more. I'm paying a fair, but relatively high price to begin with, so I get to expect more. Another issue, how motivated is the seller, i.e. how long has he been trying to sell and how much has he been beat up on with respect to price by the time you look at it. In my case, I know the seller is pretty motivated, but he's certainly not going to give anything away.

I have a figure in mind and we'll see how close I can get. Hell...I negotiate stuff every day for a living...so my pride is on the line!!!!😁

BTW, if he reads your post on here and holds me up on the price.using you as his excuse.....you're going to owe me a drink.
          Toni

Yelm, Washington
          1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

• ksanders
            ksanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell you what, the beer is on me no matter what! I always have a good selection of the best microbrews I can find.

We will just have too see where our wakes cross here, there, or someplace sunny and warm.

Originally posted by cosmo777 View Post
          I've used Cale Mathers - he's great. Does a thorough job.

If there are any Tier 1 deficiencies, Insurance and Banks will want them fixed within 30 days of closing. These are usually safety related or could influence the overall value of the boat or lead to an insurance claim. Typically, those are the things you can negotiate on. The Tier 2 and Tier 3 deficiencies are usually nit-picking - unless you are unable to fix these problems yourself and need to hire a mechanic to correct the situation.
          Pat. I'm not sure of the category 1,2 or 3 classifications. But in this instance, the one that causes me serious concern is the two shaft seals. So assuming the deal happens, I'll probably have it hauled pretty quickly. I can take care of the seals, prop, bottom paint and zincs in short order. Same for a couple of the hoses, all three water lines from the through hulls to the mains and generators are in pretty poor shape. Getting that stuff out of the way is first. The wiring issues aren't a danger, just a mess, so I've got some time, assuming the insurance company doesn't tell me different. I'll probably make sure the crane is working pretty quick as well. There are several other small issues which I can do as time allows.

IN the meantime, we've been working on our Camano getting it ready to go. I'm selling my boathouse as well, so doing some repairs on that.

Thanks for the comment.s...

All stuff to keep us busy IF....

toni
          Toni

Yelm, Washington
          1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Originally posted by Jmason View Post
            Suggest you negotiate to have PSS, blisters & bottom paint done while up in yard during survey if you are committed. When the yard pulls the shafts to do the PSS they’ll probably suggest trying the shafts, zincs etc. These are negotiation points for sure.
            Check cutlass bearings on the struts.
            One way is to slide the bearing on and push the old one up and then cut it off, unless the installer has the tools to push the old one out.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Ok, onwards and upwards. Some time on the phone and we have an agreement. Seller is doing a few items and we agreed on a price that leaves us both smiling. So Kevin, you don't owe me a beer, but an exchange of a couple would be a good thing.

Everything goes right and keys and checks will be exchanged by sometime this weekend and we'll have two boats. Know anyone looking for a Camano Troll and boat house??? I'll post some photos once we're the owners.
              toni
              Toni

Yelm, Washington
              1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Congratulations! I have enjoyed following your search and purchase.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian
                1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Ok, onwards and upwards. Some time on the phone and we have an agreement. Seller is doing a few items and we agreed on a price that leaves us both smiling. So Kevin, you don't owe me a beer, but an exchange of a couple would be a good thing.

Everything goes right and keys and checks will be exchanged by sometime this weekend and we'll have two boats. Know anyone looking for a Camano Troll and boat house??? I'll post some photos once we're the owners.
                  toni
                  Congratulations!!!

You are going to love the 4788!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to seeing some pictures.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Good for you Toni!
                      Jeff & Tara
                      (And Ginger too)
                      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                      "GetAway"
                      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Well done Toni! 👍
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        [email protected]

Comment

thank you all. Did get the harsh news from the insurance company that the policy is going to cost quite a bit more than originally quoted. Grrr. But still, if that's the worst that can happen, not a huge deal. The underwriters insisted that some of the issues pointed out in the survey get fixed sooner rather than later. You know...the ones that can let water in, like shaft seals or water intakes. Not an unreasonable request.

Anyone here ever hauled their boat at Swantown boatworks in Oly? I've always used Hylebos in Tacoma when doing my own work, but it would be nice to use someone else, perhaps a bit more "personable".. Plus, its a closer drive from my house. Plus, Olympia is a nice cruise from Seattle where the boat is. Plus, I can still do my own work AND have one of their vendors do the bottom sanding, which I HATE. Any experiences would be helpful. Or, if there is a yard up towards seattle that allows you to do your own work, that would be nice to know.

thanks

toni
                          Toni

Yelm, Washington
                          1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

• guntar
                            guntar commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Scott Summers, Summers Yacht Service, works out of the Qly area and is top notch for Yacht service and repair. Highly recommend him.

Try Gig Harbor Marine. I know they allowed owners to work in the past but I also know they’ve changed ownership too.
                          Its also a great cruise from Seattle and if you haven’t met Gig Harbor and Tides Tavern then you need to.
                          Talk to Chris the yard manager.
                          Drew Haas
                          1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

Working...
                          X