Survey Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey Day!

Fun day today. Mechanical and hull surveys both done today on "Satisfaction" the 94 4788 we have agreed to purchase. I'll know in a week or so what the final deal should be. Oil samples from both mains and generator, as well as both transmissions should be back in that time. Initial impressions are pretty positive. Deck is sound. (front had balsa core removed some years ago) Boat was re-propped at some point to 24 x 21. Jumped right up during sea trial and topped out about 19 knots, with a pretty dirty bottom as shows in the photo. Ran at 3,000 for about ten minutes with no rise in termps or any other obvious issues. Manicoolers looked good. All systems seemed to be working well, Webasto hydronic heat good, tender and outboard almost new. Few little items, some minor blistering, couple loose wires???. So far the biggest issue is that both PSS shaft seals need replacing. Also needs bottom paint. Has one of those cool disappearing 50" tv's that sinks down into the port salon cabinet. Must have been used with a DVD player since no working antena, satellite other other. Electronics are all pretty old, but working.

I'm sure more will show up in the reports, but cautiously optimistic.

I had it hauled at Delta Marine, which has some pretty good boats (bordering on ships) laying around in various states of completion.

An interesting comparison. We were parked a few yards from a 95 4788 that just had bottom done. I shot a photo of her standard, softish chine, and another shot of the hard chines installed on Satisfaction Pretty obvious difference. I do not believe these are the underhulls designed by John Ripley but not sure. They were well done however.

toni

Click image for larger version

Name:	at haulout 200128.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	558360Click image for larger version

Name:	standard hull.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	558361Click image for larger version

Name:	underhull .jpg
Views:	463
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	558362
    Toni

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

That is Fantastic that the preliminary stuff came out good!

Looks like you’ll be owning a nice big boat soon! You’ll love it!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Why am I having the Stones version of Satisfaction running in my head and wanting you to have .......my head hurts!
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

That's great we're in the same process now on a 99 4788

Comment

Good news! I think you’ll come to really appreciate those hard chines!
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]

Comment

Nice boat, Congrats.
            You can't go wrong with a 4588 or a 4788 here in the PNW. Great boat for cruising.
            Patrick and Patti
            4588 Pilothouse 1991
            12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
            M/V "Paloma"
            MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Originally posted by FedExguy View Post
              That's great we're in the same process now on a 99 4788
              Congrats to you as well. Welcome to the BOC!!!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

You have made a good decision.
                2001 Bayliner 4788
                Underhulls
                Bow & Stern Thrusters
                330 Cummins
                Langley British Columbia

Comment

Great boat, you’ll love it. Congratulations.
                  1996 4087 Lazy Days
                  2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                  2011 Porsche Cayman
                  2010 Lexus IS 250C
                  2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

thanks for the comments. Congratulations Fedexguy. Hope it goes well. My big concern at the moment is moorage long term. the boat can stay where it is for as long as I want, but its a long drive and I prefer my local yacht club where I am currently. Unfortunately, as we all know, boathouses large enough to accommodate these boats are hard to come by and expensive. The good news is that most are owned by old guys like me, so the turnover is, unfortunately, quicker than might otherwise be the case. At least we're currently under cover, which I think really helps keep these aging boats healthy. All in due course. For now, waiting for reports.
                    Toni

Yelm, Washington
                    1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

How exciting! I’ll miss this experience in the future. Until I do it again. (Probably after the divorce if I mention “different/new boat”). 😉🤪)

Seriously - seems like a great boat and Hino’s are bulletproof if looked after.
                      Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                      Sammamish WA
                      1998 4788 (April 2018)
                      ”Knot Home”

Comment

Suggest you negotiate to have PSS, blisters & bottom paint done while up in yard during survey if you are committed. When the yard pulls the shafts to do the PSS they’ll probably suggest trying the shafts, zincs etc. These are negotiation points for sure.

Comment

still waiting for both survey results. If things work out, I'll probably pull the boat a month or two after the purchase is complete. Depends a bit on weather.
                          I suspect I'll use Sureseal rather than PSS. I just like the design and you can hang an extra seal on the shaft for use later, if need be.
                          Hylebos Marina still allows you to work on your own boat, so I suspect I'll do do the painting, zincs and shaft seals. I believe Olympia also allows that, and it might be a better choice simply because its closer to my house and NO ONE can be as difficult to deal with as the Hylebos guy. I'll figure it out. I do want to get some more feedback on the blisters from the people who were there and saw the condition. We'll see.
                          toni
                          Toni

Yelm, Washington
                          1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Mechanical Surveys back. Dealt only with the the two mains and transmissions and the generator, hinos and westerbeke. All results very positive with no signs of abnormal wear. Would have been nice to see some previous ones for comparison, but no love there. Few hundred bucks worth of odds and ends, but nothing significant. One motor mount for the generator, couple hoses, one relay and that's about it. I know that Earl has done all the work on these and maybe he has some records. Assuming we move forward, I'm thinking a complete service and tuneup etc would be smart. Now, if I can just find that ridiculous stubby torque extender box end head bolt wrench I made up last time i had a hino..... I used Derek from Kraken Marine for this survey. good guy and seems to be a good company. One point in his favor...the guy that owns hylebos Marina in Tacoma won't let him in their yard...To me, that's the red badge of courage and a good point in his favor.
                            Hope to have the main survey tomorrow or Monday.

toni
                            Toni

Yelm, Washington
                            1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Originally posted by courtjester View Post
                              Mechanical Surveys back. Dealt only with the the two mains and transmissions and the generator, hinos and westerbeke. All results very positive with no signs of abnormal wear. Would have been nice to see some previous ones for comparison, but no love there. Few hundred bucks worth of odds and ends, but nothing significant. One motor mount for the generator, couple hoses, one relay and that's about it. I know that Earl has done all the work on these and maybe he has some records. Assuming we move forward, I'm thinking a complete service and tuneup etc would be smart. Now, if I can just find that ridiculous stubby torque extender box end head bolt wrench I made up last time i had a hino..... I used Derek from Kraken Marine for this survey. good guy and seems to be a good company. One point in his favor...the guy that owns hylebos Marina in Tacoma won't let him in their yard...To me, that's the red badge of courage and a good point in his favor.
                              Hope to have the main survey tomorrow or Monday.

toni
                              Yea!!!

If there were any real issues with the hull survey I’m sure your surveyor would have told you while he was doing the survey. They are pretty good about that.

You’re gonna own a new boat!!!!!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X