Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knothome4788
    commented on 's reply
    I’m at Skyline on the main (fuel) dock. What was your slip number when you were there? Knot Home gets pulled in about 2 weeks or so for pressure wash and zincs but it would be helpful to know the general area where you had the issue.

• Pcpete
    commented on 's reply
    I’m planning on a terminal post mounted to the transom kind of around each rudder post, one in the center that will be the distribution for the system, then one on each stringer near the inboard aft engine mount. It’s going to use a lot more wire than the tree method but I’m not fond of all of the butt splices that system requires.

• Cool_Beans
    commented on 's reply
    Not a bad thought! I will talk to my neighbor this weekend and inform the marina. There are a few derelict boats around us.

• Cool_Beans
    commented on 's reply
    I've read that as well. Every bonded item gets it's own 8ga wire going to a terminal strip than a single wire going to the anode.

• Machog
    replied
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. You may have bonding issues, but there might be another boat close by even worse. Years ago i was at Skyline marina, Anacortes WA. My new zincs didn’t last 6 months, along with some others nearby. Marina investigated and a boat 3-4 boats from mine was hot-very hot. Not only trashed its anodes, but started on all the boats around.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    This is one of those times I extra happy to be dry stored. The bonding system on mine is next on my projects list. I bought a spool of #8 green insulated tinned stranded wire last year and a bunch of terminal posts. My electrician recommended a kind of “hub and spoke” installation rather than the “treed” arrangement I currently have.

Leave a comment:

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    Quick update. My bonding wires were coming apart in the terminals with a couple twists and left a pile of pink dust Total redo of the bonding system is underway. Prop shafts removed and they don't look that bad. I'm going to drop them Off at the sop and see what they say. I dropped one strut, and it is pink. Still has a tinnie ring to it, but the pink can be gouged. I'm going to let the shop look at it, but if I can find replacements, I'd sleep better replacing them. Maybe see about 316 SS fabrications (might be able to make my own). The rudders are mottled, but the pink is surface level deep in the areas I checked. Least of my worries at the moment. Still checking thru hulls. I'm thinking of replacing everything forward with Marelon, but I will start a new thread on that.

Leave a comment:

• Cool_Beans
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent, thanks!

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by Cool_Beans View Post

It's under the AC panel. It's called a "Zinc Saver" and is probably OEM 1987. How do I test it?
    https://shop.pkys.com/How-to-test-a-...tem_b_113.html

Leave a comment:

• Cool_Beans
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunbird View Post
    Cool Beans,
    Where exactly is the galvanic isolator located in your boat? Mine is a 1986 and I don’t believe I have one. At least I have not seen it-
    It's under the AC panel. It's called a "Zinc Saver" and is probably OEM 1987. How do I test it? Light green wire on the left goes to the ground buss bar. Heavy green on right goes to genny. I assume 2 of the wires coming off of it goes to the bonding system (one each side)?

Leave a comment:

• Cool_Beans
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent advice, thanks! I'm planning to redo the bonding system. I've pulling old thru hulls and the copper wire strands are turning to pink powder.

• MacPhid
    commented on 's reply
    BryGuy, how did you determine your galvanic isolator was wired incorrectly from the factory? How have you rewired it?
    James

• Steadfast70
    commented on 's reply
    Mine is under the AC fuse panel inside the dash. But, installed in 1987 and I have no idea if it is still functioning or how to test it?

• Woodsea
    replied
    Our boat had pretty bad electrolysis on underwater metals. The PO got sick and let the boat sit in slip behind his house for 6 years. Fortunately the prepurchase survey identified much of the damage and we got an additional discount to repair.
    I hired a ABYC electrician with a solid reputation in Alameda. His inspection found a failed bonding system. Bayliner used open lug terminals on all the bonding wires. Water got wicked up into the wire strands thru capillary action and corroded the wire. He instructed me to completely rewire the bonding system using marine #8 and closed lugs and heat shrink to seal the connections. He loaned me a good crimping tool. He also had me make each run back to a terminal block located near the transom. Then one connection to the transom zinc. No daisy chaining.
    He came out to the boat after it was back in the slip and tested the system a couple of different ways. I recall one test was dipping a silver lead into the surrounding water and then testing to each component inside the boat. He said the rewired system tested perfect. All has been well for the last 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    commented on 's reply
    Probably buried behind the AC panel
Working...
X