Serious Stray Current Corrosion, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cool_Beans View Post

It's under the AC panel. It's called a "Zinc Saver" and is probably OEM 1987. How do I test it?
    https://shop.pkys.com/How-to-test-a-...tem_b_113.html
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Cool_Beans
      Cool_Beans commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, thanks!

Quick update. My bonding wires were coming apart in the terminals with a couple twists and left a pile of pink dust Total redo of the bonding system is underway. Prop shafts removed and they don't look that bad. I'm going to drop them Off at the sop and see what they say. I dropped one strut, and it is pink. Still has a tinnie ring to it, but the pink can be gouged. I'm going to let the shop look at it, but if I can find replacements, I'd sleep better replacing them. Maybe see about 316 SS fabrications (might be able to make my own). The rudders are mottled, but the pink is surface level deep in the areas I checked. Least of my worries at the moment. Still checking thru hulls. I'm thinking of replacing everything forward with Marelon, but I will start a new thread on that.
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

This is one of those times I extra happy to be dry stored. The bonding system on mine is next on my projects list. I bought a spool of #8 green insulated tinned stranded wire last year and a bunch of terminal posts. My electrician recommended a kind of “hub and spoke” installation rather than the “treed” arrangement I currently have.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Cool_Beans
        Cool_Beans commented
        Editing a comment
        I've read that as well. Every bonded item gets it's own 8ga wire going to a terminal strip than a single wire going to the anode.

• Pcpete
        Pcpete commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m planning on a terminal post mounted to the transom kind of around each rudder post, one in the center that will be the distribution for the system, then one on each stringer near the inboard aft engine mount. It’s going to use a lot more wire than the tree method but I’m not fond of all of the butt splices that system requires.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. You may have bonding issues, but there might be another boat close by even worse. Years ago i was at Skyline marina, Anacortes WA. My new zincs didn’t last 6 months, along with some others nearby. Marina investigated and a boat 3-4 boats from mine was hot-very hot. Not only trashed its anodes, but started on all the boats around.
      1996 4087 Lazy Days
      2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
      2011 Porsche Cayman
      2010 Lexus IS 250C
      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

• Cool_Beans
        Cool_Beans commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad thought! I will talk to my neighbor this weekend and inform the marina. There are a few derelict boats around us.

• Knothome4788
        Knothome4788 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m at Skyline on the main (fuel) dock. What was your slip number when you were there? Knot Home gets pulled in about 2 weeks or so for pressure wash and zincs but it would be helpful to know the general area where you had the issue.
    Working...
    X