Water Leaks & Water Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Leaks & Water Damage

We continue to make progress on our 1989 3818. Mechanically the boat is rounding into shape nicely, and we have addressed some of the urgent water leaks. The most pressing water leak was from the fluorescent light fixture on the starboard side. Thanks to info here on the BOC we zeroed in on the drip rail. I had a portion of the starboard drip rail removed and resealed and the leak stopped. Will be removing the entire drip rail and resealing when weather permits.

The remaining water issues concern the port and starboard teak grab rails, moisture in the port salon corner, and what appears to be rain water leaking from somewhere into the very starboard corner of the boat, under the cockpit.

I see that people have replaced the teak with other hardier woods and even starboard. On our boat the water wicks around the base of each handrail, the wood absorbs the water, and the water continues to run along under the exterior of the aft salon windows then runs down into the cockpit. For some reason the starboard side is worse than the port side.

Is there anything that can be done to stop the water from wicking around each grab rail corner? I’m considering replacing all the window channels hoping that this will fix the problem and also eliminate the water that looks to be leaking into the inside corners of the salon. For people who have replaced their window tracks did you see a reduction in water wicking around the cockpit grab rail bases and also a reduction of leaks into the salon port and starboard corners? I’m also thinking that it would be a good idea to seal the space between the bottom of the metal window and the top of the fibreglass. Is this a good idea and if so what is best sealant to use?

As for the rain water in the very aft starboard corner of the engine room, I think it is either entering the boat via the engine vents or possibly somewhere along the rub rail. Has anyone experienced this problem and have any insights?

Finally, thanks to all for your guidance thus far and for any light you can shed on these remaining nuisances.

Cheers.
    1989 Bayliner 3818
    175HP Hino EH700
    Stones Marina Nanaimo

I’ve had lots of questions from the Admiral about why isn’t that leak fixed. I’m down to one leak that’s between the windshield frames up near the top. I started with recaulking the top of the rub rail all the way around. That fixed a major leak into the engine room. I replaced the window runners cleaning the frames then dug out the old caulk as best as I could and recaulked the entire thing. The bulkhead was more of the same. I removed the inside wing panels, found some ugly wood and replaced it and cleaned everything. There was a ton of silicone that I removed including along the bottom of the window frame. I also recaulked the perimeter of the galley and guest stateroom windows.
    I made a scraper from a medium flat screwdriver by thinning the blade and grinding in a hook. It’s time consuming and a bit messy but not difficult.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

The leaking window channels are a common issue, as is the windshield.
      The windshield molding holding the windshield in on the 38XX Bayliners is not the seal, it is supposed to leak into the drains at the bottom of the windshield.
      If the windshield leaks you can seal the inside or have the molding replaced.
      The best way to seal the exterior side molding is to remove it then seal the seam.
      The arch is another area, it is very hard to seal properly, I loosened the bolts then seal under the arch and then the bolts and the base edges,
      The 2 small aft side windows are another area to look at as is the wood panels in the same area.
      I replaced my rotten plywood in that window area with solid Cumuru wood, looks like teak, no plywood, available from Advantage Lumber on line.
      Cumuru looks similar to teak at a much less cost, commonly used on fishing vessel decks.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Well I have the same boat in a very wet place, most of my leak start at rain gutters the thing that I did is use 2 inch tape and put it on like a shingle over the gutter to find the area where it leak than rebead the gutter if I had to do it again I would just pull it all off and do whole boat, + 1 on what Pete says about aft wing panel they are just a F#^€>< up area I sealed mine from the out side (black panels) and plan on installing a 2nd black panel over the top with a way better fit than Bayliner I'm the guy that removed all the wood in this area and installed black starboard and added drain hole there so if water does get in behind is simply drains out where it's salt water or rain water,
        as of today I no leaks but it to me years to get here, a friend of mine taped of the aft black panels for a temperaire fix it work and keep boat dry till weather got better here
        good luck And enjoy your 38
        cheers
        Roy
        Ketchikan Alaska
        1988 3818
        EH 700
        Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Roy, can you tell me where you got the black starboard, it looks made to measure?
          1989 Bayliner 3818
          175HP Hino EH700
          Stones Marina Nanaimo

Comment

I bought all the black starboard at Tap Plastic in the Seattle area, I removed all the wood and used them as patterns to cut them out, one thing for sure is all the piece have to be custom made as both sides are not close to being the same, they don't hold water and will not rot
            cheers
            Roy
            Ketchikan Alaska
            1988 3818
            EH 700
            Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Boatoutfitters sells starboard, cut to size, variety of colors
              boatoutfitters.com

Comment

Any idea how to source window channel material in Alaska? shipping here is a nightmare.

Comment

There is another thread on this issue that will designate the specific size and sources. I’ve done this project twice. The last channel strips were ordered via Amazon.
                  4588 1990
                  channel Islands Marina, Ca

Comment

Window channels as in these? These are the originals used on BL Trophy boats back in the 80's /90's.
                    CRLawrence in Kent, WA sells them, but you need to order through your local glass store, they only sell to business license holders. I paid a glass store in Kent, they ordered it and I picked it up at CRL will-call.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X