Installing an oil changer in a 4588

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing an oil changer in a 4588

Any recommendations for oil changer location?Please post pics. I am going to tie into both engines and the generator. Any idea if there is a drain in the bottom of the transmissions?
    thanks

We installed a Reverso Oil Change system in our 490 a few years ago. The 4588 will be a little different, but we mounted the unit in the aft port corner of the lazarette which has easy access, plus there's room for oil containers for the old or new oil during oil changes. We also purchased a new impeller for the Reverso, but never needed to replace it after twice yearly oil changes for 8 years.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

we did the reverso with manifolds, it is vertically mounted in the crawlspace in the opening to the bilge on the stringer (we used 2 strips of starboard to mount it...works great), all hose run under the crawlspace and are out of the way. We instaledl vales at the engine and gen set connection as well to ensure the oil never accidentally gets drained. You have open the value at engine and pump out
      http://reversopumps.com/oil-change-s...20-medium-duty

Boat is down in La Paz right now but I can send Pic when I am there in mid Dec if you still need one.
      Mark
      USCG OUPV
      1990 4588
      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• Kimandrich
        Kimandrich commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks much. I am waiting for mine to arrive. I bought a Groco 6 valve on sale. I was so excited to have oil pressure today that I forgot to look around when I was there 😁

Looks great Rob!! Thanks much for the advise

Comment

Is there a recommended hose/connector to run

Comment

my reverse is mounted in the starboard lazarrette vertically for easy access on the 2x4 support next to the genset. I would suggest you mount in this location as the hose runs to drains for Hinos are a short distance away, making for short hose runs and easy collection for the oil you will dispose of. Also, the unit is higher than the drain hose so if you had a leak there is no siphon effect and leak. I also added a simple petcock drain valve at the hose junction with the engine drains. Good luck!

Comment

A reversible oil change system is a "must have". Add up the time you spend rendering various containers of oil when evacuating and refilling oil as well as risking spills; I changed the oil on the pair of Hinos and the Westerbeke genset two days ago. It only took 15 minutes to empty and refill all three engines! Unfortunately it doesn't make the filter changes any easier...
            I made a manifold and have a long hose I take to the aft deck wh ere I have a buckets to manage the new oil and waste oil. The pump is a gear pump, no impeller to change (not sure it gets enough use to wear out an impeller anyway).
            I highly recommend this addition to anyone considering it, especially if you have awkward engine access.
            1995 Bayliner 3587
            Twin Hino 250HP
            Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by mlewis100 View Post
              A reversible oil change system is a "must have". Add up the time you spend rendering various containers of oil when evacuating and refilling oil as well as risking spills; I changed the oil on the pair of Hinos and the Westerbeke genset two days ago. It only took 15 minutes to empty and refill all three engines! Unfortunately it doesn't make the filter changes any easier...
              I made a manifold and have a long hose I take to the aft deck wh ere I have a buckets to manage the new oil and waste oil. The pump is a gear pump, no impeller to change (not sure it gets enough use to wear out an impeller anyway).
              I highly recommend this addition to anyone considering it, especially if you have awkward engine access.
              I know some here have issues with using an oil change system to refill the engines. I specifically asked Cummins tech support as well as a friend who is an engineer at Caterpillar engines. Both said this is not an issue, the amount of old oil pumped back in is minimal, and there's already bunch of old oil in the oil pan and other parts of the engine.

My mechanic gave some additional advise. He's concerned about broken impeller or gear debris being pumped back into the engine. He suggested a couple of extra valves and an inline oil strainer/filter like one of these: https://www.holley.com/brands/earls/...s/oil_filters/ . The idea is to bypass the filter during oil extraction and send the new oil through the pump and the filter during refilling.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

• mlewis100
                mlewis100 commented
                Editing a comment
                That wouldn't be too hard to add one of those to the setup and would guarantee that a pump failure wouldn't contaminate the oil. Might have to add that in at some point...
            Working...
            X