Zinc anodes on a 4588

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zinc anodes on a 4588

I've been in salt water for the last 2 months and I'd say I went through 60-70% of my anodes. I'm always out at anchor and never in a marina. The sales rep at west marine said it should last over 6 months and I must have a grounding problem. I'm going to check the ones on the engine, remove and clean them. Anything else I should be looking at?

I had somewhat of a similar problem, my zincs maybe lasted 6months. My tech found a faulty galvanic isolator, and since replacing that, things have improved. I did add more zinc on the transom, and I added a monitoring device to let me know when the zincs are becoming less effective. Can’t recall the name of that monitor off the top of my head.
    David
    Sidney, B.C.
    MV Cassiopeia V
    1990 4588
    twin 250 hp Hinos
    8kw Westerbeke

Comment

Be sure your bonding system is corrected properly.

All underwater metal from the engine bulkhead back should be bonded together, be sure there is a complete loop connecting both sides of the engines.
      You should also have a prop shaft wipe on both props shafts as well as the metal thru hulls connected to the bonding system.
      I also bond my metal fuel and water tanks.
      When I am docked for the winter I also add a transom zinc overboard on the side nearest my neighboring vessel..
      I use a length of SS cable from that transom zinc to the bonding system.
      Do not forget a rudder connection, they make a flexible wire for that.
      Last edited by boatworkfl; 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I'm also burning through zincs pretty fast. I'd say about 6 months. I've dropped a spare one overboard to try to protect myself until I get get them all changed. I'm new to boating and I just recently stumbled across my galvanic isolator while I was doing some work under my helm panels. All my metal parts are bonded together but my boat is older and new to me. How can I test those connections to see if they are all talking to each other? I have a basic multimeter that I can use. Is there a way I could test the isolator to see if it needs replacement? It is definitely original (1987).

Comment

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...iDIpNjc_GdGg5v

Look at this site for your answer on zincs.

Check your AC green ground wire, if hot you have a bad AC connection somewhere.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

At anchor:

Won't have anything to do with galvanic isolator.

Are you sure you have zinc and not magnesium? Salt will eat them up quickly.

You will need to check the bonding system potential. You can do this with a silver chloride half cell. I recommend you have one on board. You can then zoom in on the problem areas.

Personally, I prefer mil spec aluminium for salt water.

I do business with these guys: boatzincs.com

No affiliation. Prices are fair. Expert knowledge and excellent customer service.

Good luck
            Irony
            1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
            Portsmouth, NH

Comment

check to see if you have an inverter. If so, confirm it is properly wired. I have seen this to be a source of issue before when ground and neutral are combined. As already mentioned confirm your bonding is intact and all connections are ok and not corroded.

Comment

Originally posted by capnken View Post
                check to see if you have an inverter. If so, confirm it is properly wired. I have seen this to be a source of issue before when ground and neutral are combined. As already mentioned confirm your bonding is intact and all connections are ok and not corroded.
                Yep, got an inverter/battery charger. I know that instead of connecting the 3 battery banks independently they are connected together. So there might be some wiring issues at that level that I need to look at. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                X