250 Hino no oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250 Hino no oil pressure

Boat ran for 6 hours and didn’t miss a beat. I start it every two weeks in the slip and warm motors. Today I started them, the starboard motor didn’t show any oil pressure and alarm was sounding. I checked the wires, they are all tight. And both oil pressure gauges go from completely to the left to 0 when key is turned on. Oil level is good and looks good. I ordered oil filter from Napa, it will be here Wednesday. Going to try that. I removed one of the oil sensors and turned over motor with stop button pushed in and the slow stream of oil never increased coming out of the housing. Bought boat about 2 months ago, trying to work the gremlins out. Has anyone ever had something like this happen?

I would start by using a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check to see if there is oil pressure or not. You can get one from any auto supply store.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Then use a couple of 6" jumper wires to swap the signal wires from port to starboard. If the problem goes to the other side, your sender is faulty.
      2001 Bayliner 4788
      Underhulls
      Bow & Stern Thrusters
      330 Cummins
      Langley British Columbia

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
        Nauti_Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        6"? (inch) no room to work between those engines

No oil pressure showing at the gauge coupled with the alarm sounding has me thinking it’s possibly more than a sender or low pressure switch issue. Id still verify with a mechanical test gauge as Mike suggested.
      something like this.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0778...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
        No oil pressure showing at the gauge coupled with the alarm sounding has me thinking it’s possibly more than a sender or low pressure switch issue. Id still verify with a mechanical test gauge as Mike suggested.
        something like this.
        Yup because if verified the OP is then looking at an oil pump/relief or main bearings. The OP did not mention but with no oil pressure this engine should have been making some noise.

Mike

Comment

When did the oil get changed and filter replaced? If it is a drop-in cartridge make sure it is right side up. Up-side down filter could restrict oil flow.

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
            something like this.
            500 PSI
            I am glad none of my engines need a tester with that range, can't imagime any seals standing up to that.
            Any auto supply will have a oil pressure gauge that will work and only go to 80 PSI.
            Don
            1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
            1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
            1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
            10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
            1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
            "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

• builderdude
              builderdude commented
              Editing a comment
              Does transmissions too, 500 for an oil pressure gauge is a bit excessive though🙃🤣

Thanks for all the advice, I replaced oil filter today and bought an oil pressure test kit from Napa, I had a friend turn the key while folding the stop button while I looked at oil pressure gauge. Oil pressure was at 0. I then added oil just in case the previous owner replaced the dipstick and it was wrong..... no luck. I pulled the cap, spring and plunger out on the right side of the filter, it seemed to push back in and move easily. Trying to figure out where to go from here.

Comment

If you don’t have the manual for this engine get one. Then look to see how to change the oil pump. Also look to see if there is a separate oil pressure release valve. My knowledge on diesels is limited so I’m not sure where the oil pump or relieve are located and how accessible. When my 5.7 lost oil pressure I removed the belt and grabbed the crank pulley and could wiggle it around a little which told me the main bearings were gone.

Mike

Comment

Had great oil pressure when we moved it after buying it, 6 hours. Then started and warmed up after a couple weeks. Went to start again and no pressure. Thinking bearings are good. Only ran for 5 seconds. I downloaded the service manual and am leaning towards oil pump like you said.... just want to make sure I’m not working myself to death.

Comment

I’m also not a diesel guy but like Mike I believe there should be an oil pressure relief valve in the system. These valves can stick in both the open or closed position, open in your case if that’s actually the issue.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                  (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                  The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

That’s what I’m hoping!, thTs my next step. I see there are 3 different regulator/reliefs

Comment

Maybe time to give Earl Summerville a call before all the “maybes” and “what if’s” drive you nuts. He’d probably have it figured out in an hour.

Comment

Plus one on Earl
                        P/C Pete
                        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                        MMSI 367770440
                        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Pulled reliefs and found debris in the center one. Put back together and operating as it should. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                          X